Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

COME ON MAN.  And Frost did it at UCF. the AAC is not the B1G or the Big 12 lol.

Okay, fine. But again, if you want to use that argument, you pretty much have to eliminate everyone who has turned around smaller programs and have just a year or two of success on their resume. So...Aranda, Klieman, Leipold, and MJ are just a few of the most talked about names. Who does that leave you with?

• Haha 1

A 4 week old article here had good reasons to for Neb to consider Rhule.  

https://saturdayblitz.com/2022/09/11/nebraska-football-ideal-replacements-scott-frost/4/

Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers HC

Matt Rhule has always seemed like a college head coach. Though the former Temple and Baylor head coach had a short stint in the NFL with the New York Giants, Rhule has always seemed like more of a collegiate football coach. Rhule is a proponent of something the Cornhuskers are in desperate need of, culture.

Under Frost, it was hard to understand how Nebraska did things. With Rhule, there is a process to recruiting, practicing, and playing, which seemed haphazard at times under Frost. Rhule does take a somewhat NFL-like approach to recruit players, favoring measurables over recruiting stars.

That said, that approach to recruiting and development worked well at both Temple and Baylor. The Owls won ten games twice under Rhule, and the Bears won 11 games and went to the Sugar Bowl after winning one game in Rhule’s first season in Waco.

Rhule has the most well-rounded resume of any coaching candidate the Cornhuskers might target. A New England native, Rhule was tremendous at Baylor. He’s coached on both sides of the football and special teams. Those experiences make Rhule extraordinarily knowledgeable about all aspects of the game.

There might be more prominent names Trev Albert might target; none make more sense than Rhule.

9 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Okay, fine. But again, if you want to use that argument, you pretty much have to eliminate everyone who has turned around smaller programs and have just a year or two of success on their resume. So...Aranda, Klieman, Leipold, and MJ are just a few of the most talked about names. Who does that leave you with?

Realistically we are just left taking a shot in the dark. 

If and I say BIG if MJ makes a Bowl with 8 wins I feel he has earned it. 

My opinions are just opinions though. 

4 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

FWIW...if this team wins 6 games and makes a bowl after the horrible start to the season while missing 3 starters from the line.....MJ has earned the job IMO.

• Plus1 7

26 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Not sure how you can say one 8 win "turnaround" season as a head coach is good enough, but "2 turnarounds" at two different programs, one of which was in MUCH worse shape than Nebraska, isn't good enough. I don't have a problem with your logic, I just have a problem with your consistency. I mean, comparing resumes, if a Matt Rhule isn't good enough after what he's done throughout his career, then MJ shouldn't even be in the conversation, regardless of if he makes a bowl this year or not. Seems like just blind homerism to see it any other way.

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

He had back-to-back 10 win seasons at Temple and had multiple opportunities to move up to a P5 job, so he did. He then did a miraculous job of turning around a horrible situation at Baylor leading them to an 11 win season by year 3 and he was one of the hottest names in coaching and had an opportunity to move up to the NFL, so he did. Please explain how that makes him a "jumper that folds like a deck of cards when things get hard"?

The point is he jumps ship after three years. why should Nebraska throw 8 mil at a coach that will leave after three years? hard pass on Rhule for me until he can show that he can stay at one place for 5+ years

3 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

The point is he jumps ship after three years. why should Nebraska throw 8 mil at a coach that will leave after three years? hard pass on Rhule for me until he can show that he can stay at one place for 5+ years

Hahaha so being at a place for 5+ years is your criteria? Well, that pretty much eliminates…everybody but Matt Campbell. Yay!

10 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

The thing is now that it's way less likely he goes back to the NFL as they saw it didn't work out with him, also we have way more resources and selling points than Baylor or Temple. We're not Ohio State or Alabama, but we are much closer to them than Baylor.

Also, anyone worried about his NFL record at all: NFL record means *absolutely nothing* for college coaching. Unless you want to say Saban, Meyer, etc. are bad college coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1