Who should our next HC be?

Tom Herman was fired prematurely if viewed through the lens of about 90% of the college football world. He wasn't fired early by Texas standards. Four bowl games (three of them in pretty irrelevant bowls) and no conference titles isn't exactly 'getting it done.' And this was after pulling in three Top 10 recruiting classes.

That said, he's not the worst name I've seen thrown out. What he did at Texas would certainly be welcomed at Nebraska based on where the program is now.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I don’t get the fascination with Rhule. I know he did good things at Baylor and another stop but those were only one or two year stops that isn’t enough for me to say he’s the guy. Sounds like a jumper to me once things get hard for him he folds like a deck of cards 

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but I think you may be confused on who Matt Rhule is. 

He took a program that was so bad and poorly run that it was kicked into the independents and highly recommended to fold to 10 wins, a conference title, and then left the cupboard stocked for another title game while getting two zero star players' names called on the first day of the draft. 

He then went to Waco with sanctions coming out of his ears and less scholarship players than he has seats in his car and got them ranked, once again leaving the culture stocked with more players for Aranda.

He also vowed to never recruit the player factories like IMG while in Texas. Making this Yankee one of the most popular coaches in the state.

He's good. Really good 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
42 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but I think you may be confused on who Matt Rhule is. 

He took a program that was so bad and poorly run that it was kicked into the independents and highly recommended to fold to 10 wins, a conference title, and then left the cupboard stocked for another title game while getting two zero star players' names called on the first day of the draft. 

He then went to Waco with sanctions coming out of his ears and less scholarship players than he has seats in his car and got them ranked, once again leaving the culture stocked with more players for Aranda.

He also vowed to never recruit the player factories like IMG while in Texas. Making this Yankee one of the most popular coaches in the state.

He's good. Really good 

I’ll +1 this my biggest thing is him jumping around after three years. I get it it’s like moving up in a job. If they hire him and he keeps Mickey that’ll be great and I’ll be more at ease with the hire. But Matt has 40 million reasons not to take any job 

5 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

This concerns me more and more the more I think about it ^

This also concerns me...

Recruiting Rankings

• 2013 - 77
  • 2014 - 69
  • 2015 - 80
  • 2016 - 59
  • 2017 - 40
  • 2018 - 29
  • 2019 - 36

In researching him a little more, he definitely seems to be much more of a developer than a recruiter. And, being firmly of the mindset that you need both to win Championships, I might be moving more toward the "pass on Rhule" camp. Tack on the "never beat a ranked team" and it's possible his results were slightly fools gold, meaning he only ever beat the teams he was supposed to beat. Probably good enough to be competitive in the West most years, and maybe we just need to be okay with that. But, I want more. I think we need to start with an elite recruiter, or at least someone who hasn't built their career priding themselves on doing more with less.

Call me concerned as well. He’s never played in the B1G or SEC which replicate the NFL more where he just struggled. Does he even get us inroads to TX when he seems his roots are in the northeast. What top coaches or recruiters would he bring?

6 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

Good read, thanks for posting. This part stuck out to me...

"I have always believed great coaches are people of character," Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts said after Frost was fired. "I think they are people managers. They are culture builders. I think they are grinders ... is this somebody that the players are willing to follow?" 

Look up all those characteristics in the dictionary and you might as well see a giant glossy photograph of Rhule on the page.

As I mentioned a few pages back, it's really hard to know what will make Rhule tick when he chooses where he wants to coach. When he opted to go to that shambles of a program Baylor over the fairly stable program Oregon (and reportedly others), it was beyond perplexing. This article makes it sound like he did it just because there was more talent nearby in Texas (I don't remember it that way), but if that's the case, we're pretty much out of the running. Although, not sure what jobs will be open that fit that criteria, so who knows (none in the big 3 hotbed states that I can think of).

I'm sure that was one of the factors, but there had to be more to it than that. It was reported that Baylor was paying him somewhere around $4M/yr with a 7 year contract (although as a private school, they don't publicly disclose that). Is it possible that was a lot more than Oregon was willing to pay him and that was the driving factor? Most times it is. I know Baylor was willing to pay a premium at that time as they knew they were pretty much screwed.

Here's an old article called "Why Matt Rhule Took The Baylor Job" that doesn't even mention recruiting proximity. This makes it sound like it was all gut feel and comfort level with the AD. Also an interesting read...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18333730/why-matt-rhule-took-baylor-job

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Good read, thanks for posting. This part stuck out to me...

As I mentioned a few pages back, it's really hard to know what will make Rhule tick when he chooses where he wants to coach. When he opted to go to that shambles of a program Baylor over the fairly stable program Oregon (and reportedly others), it was beyond perplexing. This article makes it sound like he did it just because there was more talent nearby in Texas (I don't remember it that way), but if that's the case, we're pretty much out of the running. Although, not sure what jobs will be open that fit that criteria, so who knows (none in the big 3 hotbed states that I can think of).

I'm sure that was one of the factors, but there had to be more to it than that. It was reported that Baylor was paying him somewhere around $4M/yr with a 7 year contract (although as a private school, they don't publicly disclose that). Is it possible that was a lot more than Oregon was willing to pay him and that was the driving factor? Most times it is. I know Baylor was willing to pay a premium at that time as they knew they were pretty much screwed.

Here's an old article called "Why Matt Rhule Took The Baylor Job" that doesn't even mention recruiting proximity. This makes it sound like it was all gut feel and comfort level with the AD. Also an interesting read...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18333730/why-matt-rhule-took-baylor-job

Maybe his belief system would rather have his family based in Texas over Oregon.  

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Spacer said:

In my opinion, Nebraska can only sell itself to recruits via elite facilities + elite fanbase (NIL)

I think we need a coach who can sell himself on being a winner, and a history of sending kids to the pros... because Nebraska can't sell either of those, at this point in time (not even close)

I think that is what top recruits look for, above any other deciding factors (with exception of location, for some kids).

With all that said... Urban Meyer is the first that comes to (my) mind. Lane Kiffin seems like a name that can sell that (to a degree).

As a Raider fan, I've always wondered what Jon Gruden can do in the college ranks... I doubt most our fans would be interested in that name; but it is an intriguing name.

What about going after Sean Payton, he's still young enough to get this program right.

• Haha 1