Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

We just can't do O'Brien. It wouldn't be smart anyway. We need someone with energy that can relate well with players. I just can't imagine Billy being effective here. It would be and underwhelming, uninspiring hire. 

I've got a few reservations on Rhule although he's a much better culture fit that would bring, enthusiasm and energy and seems like he relates well with younger people. 

Agree 100% on Rhule 

There is not one right answer. More than one guy can have success in Lincoln. For me, it’s important that they’ve been around long enough to work through  situations-but are not ancient.  I would like to see at least 5 years at the same school- just to see if they can bring it every year.  But I think that would be like finding a unicorn. 

And the answer is not Matt Campbell 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

There is not one right answer. More than one guy can have success in Lincoln. For me, it’s important that they’ve been around long enough to work through  situations-but are not ancient.  I would like to see at least 5 years at the same school- just to see if they can bring it every year.  But I think that would be like finding a unicorn. 

And the answer is not Matt Campbell 

Soup (Campbell) or Turtle (O'Brien) aren't the answer. If we can't land a unicorn can we at least have a sturdy quarter horse? Lol

1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

How about Suh for DLine coach?  I’m serious. If Suh and Mickey show up at your house, then you are a blackshirt defender!  Those guys are not taking no for an answer! We need to recruit some elite talent. 

Yup. Just like how Barrett Rudd got every blue chip defender. 

Plus, Suh would be a great developer of talent. There’s no evidence of that, but….SUuuuuuuuHh!  Baaaaghhh!!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Matt Rhule or Bill O’Brien.  Both college guys who went to the nfl and now will likely become a college HC again. Same thing happened wt Saban. I prefer Rhule but am open to BOB because of him being in the Saban Coach School 

I’m starting to get on the Rhule bandwagon. 

They is, if Joseph doesn’t prove himself the rest of the year. but, hope he can stay on staff. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, husker009 said:

He got smacked around at home by the worst Oklahoma team in 24 years. He can rack up some wins, but that abomination of a game needs to be kept in mind. 

Whatever dude. That was his first game after inheriting a burning ship. The fact that he was able to start to steer that ship in the right direction following is not something to overlook. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Whatever dude. That was his first game after inheriting a burning ship. The fact that he was able to start to steer that ship in the right direction following is not something to overlook. 

Trev basically said in a polite way that Mickey would not be the guy. You can’t base a hire off of one season. With the current position we’re in, we can’t afford another experiment hire. Get a proven power five coach.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yup. Just like how Barrett Rudd got every blue chip defender. 

Plus, Suh would be a great developer of talent. There’s no evidence of that, but….SUuuuuuuuHh!  Baaaaghhh!!

Suh >>>>>>>>> Ruud.  Suh is wasaaaaay better than Ruud. One was an all time historic college defender with a long all-pro NFL career and a household name to football fans with his name forever immortalized in the stadium. And the other was nowhere close.  So there’s that.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, husker009 said:

Trev basically said in a polite way that Mickey would not be the guy. You can’t base a hire off of one ¾ season. With the current position we’re in, we can’t afford another experiment hire. Get a proven power five coach.

Fixed that for you. It's crazy to me that so many people on here are saying this guy doesn't have enough experience or that guy isn't proven enough, yet so many are also saying MJ needs to stay if he can win 3 more games. I think most average fans have a hard time seeing more than an inch past what's right in front of them. That's not really a knock on anyone, it's fairly normal from what I've experienced. They may know more about their own program than most, but you get them outside of that and they are clueless. MJ could win out at any other school in this situation and he wouldn't even get mentioned in this thread, or if he would, he'd get scoffed at as...you guessed it, not having nearly enough experience. But, because he's right in front of people, has won a couple crappy games, and he's likable and one of our own, he should be the guy. He has by faaaaaar the least experience of anyone mentioned on this entire thread. I mean, with the exception of the random fan in Cairo Nebraska that sent his resume to Trev :lol:

8 hours ago, M.A. said:

I've got a few reservations on Rhule although he's a much better culture fit that would bring, enthusiasm and energy and seems like he relates well with younger people. 

I keep seeing this term thrown around as some sort of main criteria for the job. What does it mean? And why is it important? Serious questions.

I've seen some people use it with regard to the fanbase. Here, you seem to be using it with regard to the players. Is it just a phrase to replace "I like the guy" or "I don't like the guy" that people use to try to make themselves sound more intelligent?

Frost seemed like a "cultural fit" all the way around and he failed miserably. Riley seemed like a "cultural fit." Fail. Was Pelini a "cultural fit?" The guy was a huge a-hole and eventually got fired largely because of it. But, he won more than anyone recently.

Does it really matter if a guy is a "cultural fit?" If it does matter, isn't it much more important to be a "cultural fit" with the players than the fanbase (assuming he's not doing anything nefarious that would embarrass the fanbase)? Often times, I don't think the two necessarily go hand-in-hand. The best "cultural fit" for the players we need to win may be the worst "cultural fit" for our fanbase.

Subjective moving target that the term seems to be, is there really a single coach out there who isn't a "cultural fit?" Or, isn't there a way to classify just about anyone who fails as not having been a "cultural fit?"

That said, isn't it kind of a meaningless term, let alone a term that should be considered as a main criteria for the job?

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Matt Rhule or Bill O’Brien.  Both college guys who went to the nfl and now will likely become a college HC again. Same thing happened wt Saban. I prefer Rhule but am open to BOB because of him being in the Saban Coach School 

I think BOB may look better on paper than in reality. I know a few Alabama fans and every single one of them can't stand O'Brien. Like, they all hate him with a passion. It's rather alarming when I listened to them, all separately, all saying the exact same things.

He did a decent job of keeping the wheels on at Penn St. He was only there for 2 years and it was damn near 10 years ago. At least Rhule did it at 2 schools and the latest was only 3 years ago. I'd say there are quite a few names between Rhule and O'Brien. I don't hear anyone saying "which P5 school is going to win the O'Brien sweepstakes" and that seems to be the trending phrase with Rhule right now. Probably a reason for that.