Who should our next HC be?

33 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The Athletic ($) has an article about coaching searches, and one of the main benefits of a firm is they can arrange neutral site interviews with a much smaller chance of the details getting out. They had another article a couple years ago about search firms specifically, and in a lot of cases they don't bring up candidates they just facilitate.

Yeah, I think search firms take care of that awkward "they're just not that into you" conversation that keeps you from being publicly embarrassed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not sold on Rhule. He would be ok likely.  I think he’d get us bowling but nothing consistently great.

Couple things on here I have been seeing.

1) Rhule is like Saban and Urb because they both failed in the NFL too.  That’s a big leap. Saban and Urb had way more success than Rhule did in the college game. Both had national championships and won against ranked opponents. Rhule turned around Temple. I’m not buying it.

2) The next coach doesn’t need to keep MJ. Beware this. Right out the gate that new coach alienates some of the team and scraps their ace recruiter. Not a recipe for success and instead a signal we may have the wrong guy who is going to hire his own buddies. Where have I seen this movie before?

12 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’m not sold on Rhule. He would be ok likely.  I think he’d get us bowling but nothing consistently great.

1) Rhule is like Saban and Urb because they both failed in the NFL too.  That’s a big leap. Saban and Urb had way more success than Rhule did in the college game. Both had national championships and won against ranked opponents. Rhule turned around Temple. I’m not buying it.

2) The next coach doesn’t need to keep MJ. Beware this. Right out the gate that new coach alienates some of the team and scraps their ace recruiter. Not a recipe for success and instead a signal we may have the wrong guy who is going to hire his own buddies. Where have I seen this movie before?

I read this 3 times have no idea what you are talking about.

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1

23 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I read this 3 times have no idea what you are talking about.

I think that post gave me an aneurysm

• TBH 1

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Waiting in the security line at Columbus Airport and Hoiberg is on the tv. These two clowns in front of me are saying how Nebraska sucks at everything but women’s volleyball 

2EC6800D-9540-4C14-9636-258012F7E295.jpeg

I banged a chubby girl in New Mexico in 2003. It all means the same I guess. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

This is a bad post. Rhule rebuilt Temple and Baylor.

2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I follow you Chamrocck...

I don't think anyone's saying Rhule is like Saban and Urban because he failed in the NFL. What they (we) mean is that, just because Rhule tanked in the NFL, don't hold that against him too much because two of the best college coaches ever have also failed in the NFL. The NFL is a completely different game than college and success/failure in one does not necessarily translate to the other.

Again, I don't think anyone's saying the next coach doesn't need to keep MJ. I can't speak for other people, but what I've said is that Trev shouldn't make that a stipulation for who he hires. I think a lot of us hope the new guy keeps MJ, maybe even highly recommends it. New guy may prefer a full gut rebuild from the ground up and have someone better. Who knows. And just because a coach wants to bring in his own guys, that's not necessarily the same thing as bringing in your unqualified buddies. The highest level coaches want almost total control and the best ones have earned that right. 

45 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Ive got to admit to chamrocck, i have no idea what you ment there.

Rhule would be ok as coach. I’d give it a B. I have concerns about him.

Despite the failed NFL parallels being mentioned, Rhule is not close to Saban or Urb. 

Anyone not thinking about trying to retain Mickey is a bad sign. Now maybe Mickey gets a great offer to go elsewhere, and that’s life. But I certainly think Trev is vetting this angle with all candidates. It would be unwise not to do so.