Who should our next HC be?

9 hours ago, Gage County said:

It kinda looks like they have their own Mickey Joseph situation. Shaun Aguano was named interim, doesn't have a loaded HC resume, but some of the fan base really like him.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. But Arizona State might want to give MJ a shot bc they know he is a great recruiter and would draw recruits there. Not saying this is going to happen just saying you can't rule it out either like some Husker Fans are doing. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Sean Callahan is a good source that's why I posted it. Regardless of what you think of him, anything goes in today's college football society. I say this bc if MJ is looking for a head coaching job and Nebraska doesn't offer it to him fully then he could potentially go somewhere else for that opportunity. Just bc he loves this University doesn't mean he wouldn't go else where if he didn't want to.

Sean’s one of the better ones. He isn’t going to present something unless there’s legitimacy to it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. But Arizona State might want to give MJ a shot bc they know he is a great recruiter and would draw recruits there. Not saying this is going to happen just saying you can't rule it out either like some Husker Fans are doing. 

Shaun Aguano is a renowned recruiter as well. Its basically the same situation except he was the RB coach at Arizona St and is beloved by every High School coach in Arizona. 

Although I think it's unlikely ASU would name MJ as their next head coach, I don't necessarily think it's BS that his name is being thrown in the gauntlet there. ASU is kind of a middling football program in an unstable conference, and as Sean's article correctly points out, they're also being investigated for recruiting violations. ASU isn't exactly in a strong position at the bargaining table which means they're unlikely to attract one of the bigger available coaches. And now here's this guy at Nebraska that's well-respected, a good coach, has great recruiting skills, and is actively getting some head coaching experience under his belt. It's not at all weird to me why MJ might be getting some interest elsewhere.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
On 10/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, Red Five said:

A couple years ago Tom Allen's work at Indiana was all the B1G rage.  Now?

Mel last year vs Mel this year?

Now Bret is the darling.

If we're honest in introspection, we're all somewhat fickle...especially when emotions are high and countenances low.

• Plus1 5

3 hours ago, Gage County said:

You reminded me of MJ at a presser before the season started. He mentions Smart's philosophy. He says talent wins over trying hard. He also says he needs players to be the most talented players on the field. That's right from the Friday night player vs the Saturday afternoon player argument.

Case in point.  Find another guy who cares more, and tries harder, than Garrett Nelson.  

49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Although I think it's unlikely ASU would name MJ as their next head coach, I don't necessarily think it's BS that his name is being thrown in the gauntlet there. ASU is kind of a middling football program in an unstable conference, and as Sean's article correctly points out, they're also being investigated for recruiting violations. ASU isn't exactly in a strong position at the bargaining table which means they're unlikely to attract one of the bigger available coaches. And now here's this guy at Nebraska that's well-respected, a good coach, has great recruiting skills, and is actively getting some head coaching experience under his belt. It's not at all weird to me why MJ might be getting some interest elsewhere.

Scott Frost's next gig. Bank it. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

A couple years ago Tom Allen's work at Indiana was all the B1G rage.  Now?

Mel last year vs Mel this year?

Now Bret is the darling.

If we're honest in introspection, we're all somewhat fickle...especially when emotions are high and countenances low.

True except Bret is proven to win in the B1G. And seems to be doing it again. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

From Sherman today

Alberts would be best served to complete his evaluation of Joseph before mid-November. If he’s the choice when the Huskers lift off for Ann Arbor next week, based on Joseph’s body of work in managing the program, it ought to be clear.

And if not, Alberts needs to be intensely focused on zeroing in on his top candidate. Because when that flight lands back in Lincoln next Saturday night, just 12 days remain until Thanksgiving.

Ideally, Alberts’ choice would be settled and as secure as possible before the Huskers head back on the road to play Iowa on Black Friday.

No need exists to announce a decision on Joseph, as Alberts did with Frost a year ago at this time, but the AD should know soon. In fact, maybe he already does know, though as of four days ago before kickoff in Lincoln, four people with knowledge of the coaching search believed Joseph remained under consideration.

https://theathletic.com/3753815/2022/11/02/nebraska-mickey-joesph-casey-thompson/

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

four people with knowledge of the coaching search believed Joseph remained under consideration.

To be honest, I hope not.  MJ is great in what he does as receivers coach and recruiting, but we need a very, very and did I say very experienced guy in here who knows how to develop and sustain a program.  This is no place for on the job training.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

To be honest, I hope not.  MJ is great in what he does as receivers coach and recruiting, but we need a very, very and did I say very experienced guy in here who knows how to develop and sustain a program.  This is no place for on the job training.  

Like, how experienced, tho?

13 minutes ago, Spacer said:

Like, how experienced, tho?

Vince Lombardi.  :D

More than just a position coach.  Or Interim coach.  And I don't say that to belittle MJ.  I think he could make a great HC at a less pressured, smaller school. Then he can work his way up.    I think a number of current HCs could come in here and win.  There are a few OC or DC that could.    The only OC I'd feel comfortable with currently is Bill O'Brien based on his HC years at PSU and Houston Texans and the Saban rehab program.  I'd love to see the Lane Train come here but that is probably a long shot. Aranda - has 2.5 years under his belt as HC (I prefer more) but he proved himself as a DC with the Big 10 at Wisky and SEC wt LSU.  I would think he would get us back to Bo's level at least - while hopefully having better recruiting by possibly keeping MJ and Busch.  Leipold, while limited P5 experience, has been successful wherever he's gone.  G5 coach - I think Chadwell could make it here but would not be a 'splash hire'.  P5 would be new for him.  Mark Stoops - could work  also, but I don't think he'd come unless he is tired of being second fiddle in Ky. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

From Sherman today

Alberts would be best served to complete his evaluation of Joseph before mid-November. If he’s the choice when the Huskers lift off for Ann Arbor next week, based on Joseph’s body of work in managing the program, it ought to be clear.

And if not, Alberts needs to be intensely focused on zeroing in on his top candidate. Because when that flight lands back in Lincoln next Saturday night, just 12 days remain until Thanksgiving.

Ideally, Alberts’ choice would be settled and as secure as possible before the Huskers head back on the road to play Iowa on Black Friday.

No need exists to announce a decision on Joseph, as Alberts did with Frost a year ago at this time, but the AD should know soon. In fact, maybe he already does know, though as of four days ago before kickoff in Lincoln, four people with knowledge of the coaching search believed Joseph remained under consideration.

https://theathletic.com/3753815/2022/11/02/nebraska-mickey-joesph-casey-thompson/

I agree with this timing as well.  Unless Nebraska wins their next 2 games, I do not see any scenario where Joseph would be named as the head coach.  The time between the end of the Michigan game and the black Friday game should be when Alberts is securing his man for the job with an announcement sometime later Thanksgiving weekend.  The only reason for a delay beyond that timeframe would be if the coach to be named is playing in a conference championship game. As of now, the names we are hearing about at the collegiate level are not in a position to play for a CCG outside of Chris K from K-State or possibly Kiffin if Ole Miss would win the SEC West. Of course if Alberts is looking outside of a current college coach, like O'Brien or Rhule, we could hear at any point in time.  

• Fire 1