Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well that "system" was a winning program that prioritized linemen, over-powered weaker conference opponents, and took advantage of a very different era of national television exposure to recruit both in-state muscle and out-of-state skill positions. Nebraska gave great athletes who wanted to play quarterback a chance to play quarterback in a power option system unlike most college programs. The trade-off was the understanding that they would never play quarterback in the NFL and were unlikely to have a pro career at all. This extended to some of our great offensive linemen, including Dave Rimington, who were incredible at pulling and lateral plays, but didn't have the pass blocking experience necessary for the NFL. 

So yeah, if you're a recruit with an eye on the NFL, you may want to avoid any college-only offensive system.

But honestly, every offensive system is going to need good linemen, receivers, running backs and quarterbacks. The problem with Nebraska is across the board recruiting, depth, and development issues, not run/pass ratios. 

And those 25 years of Osborne teams are highlighted by a perfect storm of rock solid defenses and great option quarterbacks. Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost and Eric Crouch could not have played quarterback at most college programs, and we wouldn't still be talking about them today if they had been backed by a recent Nebraska defense. 

If a new coach wants to install old-school option football, it won't cure anything overnight and would likely take a few years to get competitive. 

Good teams run and pass with equal skill and discipline because that's pretty much how the game is played. 

I'm glad you agree with me. Put that in your next article.

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Apparently you do not watch the NFL, or pay attention at all. Rex, Ameer, and Ozigbo are still playing at RB. Janovich at FB. Stanley Morgan, Samouri Toure is having a nice season in Green Bay. Wandale is playing. Jurgens is starting now I think. Where we are failing now is putting linemen in the league, not skill players. 

I said no Pelini players! He's a loser that never happened and the program has been bad for 20 years.