Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

48 minutes ago, admo said:

@ColoradoHusk  Excellent :thumbs

I agree that we need a football program rebuild.  If we do, we need to start all over, from scratch.  Throw in the towel.  Have a bon fire, toss in the uniforms and the past fuzzy feelings and burn it to the ground. 

That being said...

We have the new AD.  Great first step.  

The new AD fired a beloved coach that was unsuccessful.  It was tough to do.  The right thing to do.

What are the next steps though, to reinvent Nebraska's future?

Coaching for sure, including Strength and Conditioning.

But I would also change up the look of Nebraska in order to get us out of the past, and into a modern new look Nebraska.

White N with Red Helmet, all read uniforms, sea of red at home...... all white on road... incorporate some black.  

Point is that if we are going to rebuild Nebraska football and its image, we need to rebuild everything.  

I know it's ridiculous, but I just feel like we need to go in a completely new direction. 

48 minutes ago, admo said:

@ColoradoHusk  Excellent :thumbs

I agree that we need a football program rebuild.  If we do, we need to start all over, from scratch.  Throw in the towel.  Have a bon fire, toss in the uniforms and the past fuzzy feelings and burn it to the ground. 

That being said...

We have the new AD.  Great first step.  

The new AD fired a beloved coach that was unsuccessful.  It was tough to do.  The right thing to do.

What are the next steps though, to reinvent Nebraska's future?

Coaching for sure, including Strength and Conditioning.

But I would also change up the look of Nebraska in order to get us out of the past, and into a modern new look Nebraska.

White N with Red Helmet, all read uniforms, sea of red at home...... all white on road... incorporate some black.  

Point is that if we are going to rebuild Nebraska football and its image, we need to rebuild everything.  

I know it's ridiculous, but I just feel like we need to go in a completely new direction.  

Saying this stuff only a few years ago would get a guy punched LOL. blockquote widget

Edited by ActualCornHusker
Double
Just now, runningblind said:

The walk on situation needs to end. This isn't 1995 where your walkons are scholarship quality at lower schools, they are now kids that shouldn't be on a Big Ten roster in any capacity.  Do we want good stories about local kids on the team or do we want a reasonable number of kids on the team that are good enough to help make the starters better in practice.  From what I can tell we succeed at things in practice and I surmise that is because the level of competition in practice has been watered down so much.  Having 15-20 is fine, we need tackling fodder and some special teams heart occasionally, but having 70 is just ridiculous.

I couldn't agree with you more.  While there have been success stories like Reimer, Isaac Gifford, Brewington, and Heist, having a manageable roster of 20-25 walk-ons is the way to go.  I wonder how much time and energy the staff spent on "recruiting walk-ons" (evaluation, convincing them to not go FCS, etc.) when that time and energy could be used on actual scholarship recruiting.

I also think fans get too wrapped up in redshirting players.  I understand that the 4 game redshirt rule creates opportunities to get a guy some snaps while preserving his redshirt.  However, if your staff is good enough recruiters, then they should be able to replenish the roster with talent.  I think that the only guys who should redshirt are:  offensive linemen, interior defensive linemen, blocking tight ends, some other positions/recruits who need to get stronger, recover from an injury, or change their body.  I would try to play nearly every skill position player (RB, WR, DB, stud TE's, fast LB's, Rush Ends) so they can learn how to play, add depth, and contribute on special teams.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Saying this stuff only a few years ago would get a guy punched LOL. blockquote widget

Yeah I am getting quite used to ducking the jabs and body blows anymore lol.

There seems to be something very uncomfortable about Nebraska football to me as time goes by, and it doesn't have everything to do with wins and losses.  Hard to articulate or put my thumb on it.  Maybe it's some Husker tenants or the Husker landlord.  Who knows...

I will say my passion for Nebraska football has weathered the storms over the decades, so I shall keep my chin up.  I do agree we need to rebuild it and start all over from scratch.  This doesn't feel like a plug-n-play situation or just an opportunity for a replacement.  

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Whoever the next head coach is, I wish fans, alumni, and media would allow that coach to do things the best way he sees fit.  The OWH writers have discussed these topics on a few of their podcasts this year, and they make good  points.  I think too many times we get caught up with "Well, this isn't how we used to do things...."  Sam McKewon has stated numerous times that he thought Frost did him self a dis-service by having a huge walk-on program which created a roster of 140-150 players and that became un-manageable.

There’s nothing worse than being dictated to and being forced to capitulate. 

We’ve always done it that way or, that’s the way we do it or we want you to do it not considering that there are other options. It’s pretty difficult for a person in a position of managing to function effectively without not having ownership of what they’re expected to accomplish. 

Those sorts of attempts at control are fear based. There are a number of things that might cause a coach to be reluctant to being hired. That’s one example that doesn’t need to be a factor. 

Lol He doesn’t want to be asking himself later what the hell am I doing here…Ine of them might as well be running the show if that’s what they’re going to be doing anyway.

Be willing to break some of “the rules” and what’s expected if that’s what in the interest of the people one is serving.

Unfortunately there are people that will cling onto what’s comfortable even when it hurts their cause.

41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I couldn't agree with you more.  While there have been success stories like Reimer, Isaac Gifford, Brewington, and Heist, having a manageable roster of 20-25 walk-ons is the way to go.  I wonder how much time and energy the staff spent on "recruiting walk-ons" (evaluation, convincing them to not go FCS, etc.) when that time and energy could be used on actual scholarship recruiting.

I also think fans get too wrapped up in redshirting players.  I understand that the 4 game redshirt rule creates opportunities to get a guy some snaps while preserving his redshirt.  However, if your staff is good enough recruiters, then they should be able to replenish the roster with talent.  I think that the only guys who should redshirt are:  offensive linemen, interior defensive linemen, blocking tight ends, some other positions/recruits who need to get stronger, recover from an injury, or change their body.  I would try to play nearly every skill position player (RB, WR, DB, stud TE's, fast LB's, Rush Ends) so they can learn how to play, add depth, and contribute on special teams.

I would rather see us hire a coach who can develop players no matter where they come from.  

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not going to lose any sleep it it gets cut back.  But I don't think it'll probably get cut back that far.  I can't find specific numbers right off hand but a couple of articles claimed that 118 is the average roster size so apparently 33 is average.  We'd be in the 55-60 range right now.  I could see it cut down to 40 or maybe 35.

I don't think there is much effort taken away from other recruiting.  Kenny Willhite and Sean Dillon handle most of the walk-on recruiting and it's mostly local kids.  I assume they just get a final approval from the head coach or position coach on most of them but I would be surprised if that takes much away from scholarship recruiting.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah I am getting quite used to ducking the jabs and body blows anymore lol.

There seems to be something very uncomfortable about Nebraska football to me as time goes by, and it doesn't have everything to do with wins and losses.  Hard to articulate or put my thumb on it.  Maybe it's some Husker tenants or the Husker landlord.  Who knows...

I will say my passion for Nebraska football has weathered the storms over the decades, so I shall keep my chin up.  I do agree we need to rebuild it and start all over from scratch.  This doesn't feel like a plug-n-play situation or just an opportunity for a replacement.  

I think the brand and the jerseys will look a lot more shiny once the team starts winning again.

I'd absolutely love to see red on red just with our traditional unis, but I'd rather just see the team start winning first and then worry about what they're wearing.

• TBH 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not going to lose any sleep it it gets cut back.  But I don't think it'll probably get cut back that far.  I can't find specific numbers right off hand but a couple of articles claimed that 118 is the average roster size so apparently 33 is average.  We'd be in the 55-60 range right now.  I could see it cut down to 40 or maybe 35.

I don't think there is much effort taken away from other recruiting.  Kenny Willhite and Sean Dillon handle most of the walk-on recruiting and it's mostly local kids.  I assume they just get a final approval from the head coach or position coach on most of them but I would be surprised if that takes much away from scholarship recruiting.

Fair enough on both count and resources spent on bringing in walk-ons.  But, cutting the overall roster size by 15-20 percent would be reasonable. This is supposed to be major, competitive college football, not a team used to satisfy childhood dreams of guys who are too small, slow, or unathletic to ever contribute. 

On 11/3/2022 at 3:35 PM, Stumpy1 said:

MJ will be named HC with Rhule coming on staff in some capacity.   WIN-WIN situation

That would be fun...hire Rhule as a Football Analyst.   He keeps getting that $40M from Carolina and gets an additional salary from Nebraska and could help with the staff in some capacity and be a mentor to a first time head coach if it is someone like MJ.

6 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Wouldn’t it be something if it was MJ all along. Trev’s been working his tail off compiling information on how to help him be successful as head coach and identifying assistants to target for his staff! :laughpound

Better not be. If we don’t trust a coach to have the expertise to understand what staff he needs and the connections to bring them in, then why would we trust them to have all of the rest of the tools necessary to lead the program. 

41 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Better not be. If we don’t trust a coach to have the expertise to understand what staff he needs and the connections to bring them in, then why would we trust them to have all of the rest of the tools necessary to lead the program. 

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes, it would be something to hire a coach that lost 6 straight to end the season.

Don’t think that’s the case. However, Mickey being OC is in the realm of possibility.