** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’d like us to get to where Wisconsin and Iowa have been recently because it certainly was better than us.  Then from there see where we can eventually get to. We have been building this thing wrong focused on squeaking out a recruiting victory for the Wandales that don’t stick around. We need superior lines so we can consistently beat Minny, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern for crying out loud.  Our division is one of weakest in CFB! Then we can try some shots at OSU, Michigan, etc.

I agree with the lines, yes. I simply think we have the clout and NIL dollars to go for this thing. I think some around the program are balking at that idea however and we will continue to be left behind.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Juat as long as you realize you are asking for us to become Iowa, and nothing more. If you're cool with that, great. I'm not.

I'm not cool with that either. 

If the concept for winning today in college football is "Power football! Play action! More Fullback! The Option! 90's Nebraska! 2000's Iowa!" Then I will see myself out.  Or fall asleep on gameday.  :lol:  It's just not my kind of thing for 2 decades already.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I'd believe you, but you root for Nebraska.  What we do doesn't follow 1. Logic or 2. Historical precedence. 

TBH rooting for the Huskers has gotten harder over the years, mostly because of "the glory days" thinking by fans as the only way to win and be successful.  And name-dropping Osborne as an argument.  

1 game into the year, after losing on a walk-off field goal and "the sky is falling" ??!!?!  

Sheesh...

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, admo said:

1 game into the year, after losing on a walk-off field goal and "the sky is falling" ??!!?! 

Sky's not falling for me.

I just thought Colorado was a pretty winnable game for us until I saw them pass for over 500 yards and put up 45 points against TCU. Preseason I thought "if we're 1-1 after the first two games, we're going bowling."

Pretty worried about being 0-2 and then still making a bowl. But, the sky isn't falling.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Colorado's D gave up more points than anyone last year(44.5 PPG).  TCU wasn't very far behind (29  PPG).  Both near the bottom of the NCAA.

TCU was nearly last in the NCAA in passing yards giving up 435 yards a game.

I didn't realize it until @Mavric made a post, but TCU's defense last year was terrible. 

I don't know if I'm drinking koolaid or not, but I'm not sure that game yesterday really told us anything.  Maybe just not to look past Colorado.  I think we may have watched two really bad defenses play a video game yesterday.

What does the eye test say?  Do you think our O Line holds against CU?  Do you think our D holds against their athletes?  Can our D Line get to, and bring down, Sanders?  Can Sims decide to throw the ball to his team, even with Hunter locking one side of the field?  

Poise - CU fought through adversity, on the road, without an issue.  When has Nebraska done that recently?

Other than Special Teams, I don't see where we look good going into next Saturday.  We might be able to win, but it's much more of a stacked deck now that we have the empirical data we have.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

45 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just thought Colorado was a pretty winnable game for us until I saw them pass for over 500 yards and put up 45 points against TCU. Preseason I thought "if we're 1-1 after the first two games, we're going bowling."

Pretty worried about being 0-2 and then still making a bowl. But, the sky isn't falling.

The way I am looking at it is the sky already fell.  Not on this season but for the recent past.  It’s now a matter of finding a way back.  If we don’t find identity and a way to get guys that fit our system we are never sniffing 9 wins again. If we wanted that space of razzle dazzle offense we should have hired Sanders. He’s all in on that and that’s where he thinks he can play and take some of that space. I don’t blame him, he has some talented players all in for him.  That’s not us so we need to deal with it. Our identity is Husker Power and Blackshirts defense, run the ball, run the QB yet that is not the way we have recruited or played. We’re enamored thinking we can be something we’re not.  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

The way I am looking at it is the sky already fell.  Not on this season but for the recent past.  It’s now a matter of finding a way back.  If we don’t find identity and a way to get guys that fit our system we are never sniffing 9 wins again. If we wanted that space of razzle dazzle offense we should have hired Sanders. He’s all in on that and that’s where he thinks he can play and take some of that space. I don’t blame him, he has some talented players all in for him.  That’s not us so we need to deal with it. Our identity is Husker Power and Blackshirts defense, run the ball, run the QB yet that is not the way we have recruited or played. We’re enamored thinking we can be something we’re not.  

I don’t understand this mindset one bit. Clemson pops up with a modern style and builds a brand and it’s ok for them. Saban adjusted and got with the times and that’s ok for him. Colorado puts up 45 and plays with conviction in their first game against a P5 and that’s ok. But we should play in a way that literally has not proven sustainable success in a decade? It’s been so dark times but not enough to dare to be average 

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Yeah and that makes sense.  I'm betting this team will still find a way to win 6 and make a bowl game.  No less than 5 wins.  Sims will have some good games, and some funky ones too.  

I also think the officals kept their penalty flags in their back pocket during week 1.  Did we even produce a holding call penalty?  I find it very interesting that Colorado ran 81 plays! and never got a holding call.  47 passes, 34 rushes.  No holding call?  That's so clean and impeccable that Deion and Fox would be happy with that lol

Week 2 and beyond, we should see some holding calls tho...

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

I don’t understand this mindset one bit. Clemson pops up with a modern style and builds a brand and it’s ok for them. Saban adjusted and got with the times and that’s ok for him. Colorado puts up 45 and plays with conviction in their first game against a P5 and that’s ok. But we should play in a way that literally has not proven sustainable success in a decade? It’s been so dark times but not enough to dare to be average 

Have you seen the talent Bama and Clemson recruited?  Of course it works. I agree with Deion, talent wins games over coaching. He brought talent to CU. He’s not there for a slow rebuild. USC had a couple down years, they get the coach to bring in talent. This is not our space, why do we think PAC 12 retread Riley was going to fix that?  Everyone wanted Frost to succeed but he couldn’t recruit or develop.  Rhule is in a tough spot, he may be the right guy for the rebuild but CU having instant success took all the wind out of the sails and more importantly recruiting eyes to his program, not ours.  Stop chasing the one QB, the one slot skill player, rebuild the lines at all costs, give me a bunch of RBs like Rex and Ameer and we will start moving in the right direction. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Have you seen the talent Bama and Clemson recruited?  Of course it works. I agree with Deion, talent wins games over coaching. He brought talent to CU. He’s not there for a slow rebuild. USC had a couple down years, they get the coach to bring in talent. This is not our space, why do we think PAC 12 retread Riley was going to fix that?  Everyone wanted Frost to succeed but he couldn’t recruit or develop.  Rhule is in a tough spot, he may be the right guy for the rebuild but CU having instant success took all the wind out of the sails and more importantly recruiting eyes to his program, not ours.  Stop chasing the one QB, the one slot skill player, rebuild the lines at all costs, give me a bunch of RBs like Rex and Ameer and we will start moving in the right direction. 

We’ve been top 25 in recruiting for a decade. The biggest thing is leadership and direction which we’ve failed at but that’s no excuse to settle for Brett beilema. Did you see Wandale’s career in the SEC? It’s obvious we can recruit a competitive roster but asking retreads to take us to a place they aren’t competent enough to do seems like the real mistake. I’m not giving Rhule a single excuse if the wind is out of his sail. Good coaches win and he’s getting paid a pretty penny. Let’s not forget he brought in about 40 new players himself 

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

What does the eye test say?  Do you think our O Line holds against CU?  Do you think our D holds against their athletes?  Can our D Line get to, and bring down, Sanders?  Can Sims decide to throw the ball to his team, even with Hunter locking one side of the field?  

Poise - CU fought through adversity, on the road, without an issue.  When has Nebraska done that recently?

Other than Special Teams, I don't see where we look good going into next Saturday.  We might be able to win, but it's much more of a stacked deck now that we have the empirical data we have.

Long post in response to mine.  The general theme of my post is “I don’t know if the CU/TCU game told us much” other than we probably shouldn’t look past them.

You clearly saw something that allowed you to draw conclusions.  I’m just not there yet.

2 hours ago, admo said:

TBH rooting for the Huskers has gotten harder over the years, mostly because of "the glory days" thinking by fans as the only way to win and be successful.  And name-dropping Osborne as an argument.  

Sheesh...

Maybe were sick of it happening, imagine every time you went to out on a date with your spouse they kicked you in the groin instead of hitting the sack with you.  You would get pretty f#&%ing tied of that.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
42 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

We’ve been top 25 in recruiting for a decade. The biggest thing is leadership and direction which we’ve failed at but that’s no excuse to settle for Brett beilema. Did you see Wandale’s career in the SEC? It’s obvious we can recruit a competitive roster but asking retreads to take us to a place they aren’t competent enough to do seems like the real mistake. I’m not giving Rhule a single excuse if the wind is out of his sail. Good coaches win and he’s getting paid a pretty penny. Let’s not forget he brought in about 40 new players himself 

This makes alot of sense, like people said pelini did good because he was able to coach up calahans recruits, then build up on his own after that.