Mavric

***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

84HuskerLaw    538

FWIW - I have a better 'vibe' for tonight's game than I have had since before game one.  Odd as that may seem considering.   Maybe we come out and play like our season depends on it!   It does of course. 

Maybe the coaches have been 'planning' since a year ago to scheme and strategic plan for the conference season ONLY as that is the most important thing.  Perhaps we've got a few decent cards up our sleeves.  We all know as fans that we view each and every game as critical and we are always looking to run the table.  Obviously this is not realistic.  The more conference wins we get the better in many ways.  If we have to lose, lose in the 'pre-season' if you want to take a pro perspective,  Pull out a win tonight, and maybe the Ohio State game is one you can punt and still remain in the driver's seat for the conference west division race.  Wisconsin is not likely to run the table otherwise so if we win our division games and lose only to Penn State and Ohio State, we have a serious chance to be the west divsion representatives in the CCG.   

We lack depth and experience, although that experience is slowly improving as each week passes.  Sacrifice the right games and focus heavily on the MUST win games.  Let's hope this staff has this in mind.  The first major hurdle to turning the program around in the right direction is to win our division.  Wisconsin is THE biggest obstacle in that goal.  

tfree32    423

The next two weeks will obviously determine whether Riley and his staff have the chance to stay or will have to go. One way or another, I’m hoping we get some clarity about whether they can get it done. I like Riley’s attitude and how he’s rebuilt the culture Pelini destroyed. But he has to win games. I’m hoping it all comes together today with an upset against Wisconsin. But in the long run, we’re better served with a 3 or 4 win season where he’s let go and we bring in someone else than with a 6 or 7 win season where there may be a temptation to limp along and see what happens next year. 

My hopeful prediction for today is Nebraska 27, Wisconsin 21. Nebraska goes run heavy, the offensive line develops an attitude, Lee plays game manager with lots of safe passes and play action, the defense stuffs the run, gets some pressure, and limits big plays, and Nebraska reminds those pukes from Madison who THE REAL F’N BIG RED IS.

GO BIG RED!

Nebhawk    265

This is a game to see if our defense has improved.  The fundamentals:  tackling, stay in our lanes, and of course covering.  Offensively, we will learn tonight if Tanner has turned the corner and has found a comfort level with in the offense and his receivers.  We will see if Langs is pass happy, instead of ball control oriented to at least give us a chance in the 4th quarter.  In other words, we control the tempo, via the run and occasional play action pass.  I am afraid if we don't run the ball 75% of the time, our defense will completely wear out by the 4th quarter.

Put up or shut up time!

Redux    5,747

This is about blood.  There isn't  a player on this team that has beaten Wisconsin.  Some have gotten trounced by them, some have come up just short.  But all have fallen.  If this team wants to win tonight they need to focus on that, get that killer instinct turned up to 11 and put their foot on the gas for 4 quarters.  Come out and punch em in the mouth right out of the gate, the crowd will respond.  Then keep punching them in the mouth., they aren't unbeatable.  This is a perfect storm, take advantage Huskers.

ColoradoHusk    4,255

It looks like NU is down to Ozigbo and Bradley at RB today.  I don't see those guys carrying the ball 30+ times between them.  I'm afraid that this is going to lead to Langsdorf going the passing route, and we know how that has not been successful this year.  I think this will lead to sack and interceptions, and NU won't be able to overcome those.

HuskerNation1    1,069
Just now, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

This is potentially Riley's most important game of his career at Nebraska

I agree....if Nebraska loses, he is pretty much gauranteed to finish no better than 7-5 this year which would allow the new AD to let him go. 

PaulCrewe    1,838

Special teams(especially looking at you DPE) are going to have to be huge to pull out the win.

Been saying all year the 3-4 ,with Bob’s insistence of staying with his base personnel all game, will match up very well against Wisky.  The defense should hold their own.

the offense on the other hand......  The OLine needs to get their s#!t together before someone gets mangled(if not today, most definitely next week).  They have had communication issues and trouble identifying blitzers all year.  The Decker and Jameis move is a good step forward. However Wisky’s 3-4 is what I dream Bob could get to.  5,6,7 guys on the line presnap, moving dropping out blitzing total chaos.  This will make the offense difficult to watch tonight a lot of the game.

Will love to eat crow tonight but 

Badgers-17

NU-10

mwj98    140

I know this isnt the 90's and all that. But seeing we are 11 point undersogs, at home, seems surreal. I will never get used too that. 

timmytbro    176
33 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Wisconsin sacked Thorson 8 times last week.  Damn.

Go watch NW and Penn State right now, NW's offense is absolutely dreadful. I am not impressed. 

suh_fan93    1,166
4 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

Go watch NW and Penn State right now, NW's offense is absolutely dreadful. I am not impressed. 

I've been watching the entire game brah.  They're 75th in total offense this year.  Nebraska - 87th.

timmytbro    176
2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I've been watching the entire game brah.

and you are still impressed? Wisconsin hasn't played anybody good this year, they tee'd off on a very very weak NW team. If DL calls a good game for T. Lee we have a chance. 

suh_fan93    1,166
1 minute ago, timmytbro said:

and you are still impressed? Wisconsin hasn't played anybody good this year, they tee'd off on a very very weak NW team. If DL calls a good game for T. Lee we have a chance. 

O.k.

HuskerMav11    282
4 minutes ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Illinois who we beat last week, 28-6, is tied with Iowa 10-10.  The same Iowa team who nearly pulled off the upset against Penn St. 

They have a different QB in and he's made some plays. Iowa also s#!tting the bed.

lo country    2,433

Watching the scores and highlights with the B1G, particularly the West, NU could possibly finish 9-3....(I don't think it will happen) The West looks that weak (or PSU is overrated).

If we go all air Langs, I think we are in a bind.  Our OL can't stop that front 7.  And we all know how mobile Lee is....I'd love to think that Langs will finally dial up sone plays to slow up an aggressive front, but haven't seen that in any game since he's been here.  Then again, we might stick with a healthy dose of Oz, the jet sweep and screens that actually work and punch them in the north for four quarters....As mentioned above, it comes down to the D and ST town this one. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how our D can match up with Wisky's O.  A great test to see if we have improved as it appears or were the previous teams that bad....

Even with my above pessimism, I think we finally beat Wisky this year.  Two years and oh so close.....

GBR.

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

We could shut Penn State out, zero rushing attack.

Barkley held to negative yards thus far.  Who'd thought that.

1 minute ago, HuskerMav11 said:

ISU knocking off the Sooners with their 3rd string QB.

What a game, #3 falls!  #9/#10 falls tonight!

Go Huskers!  Any given Saturday!

Nebfanatic    1,076
14 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

ISU knocking off the Sooners with their 3rd string QB.

That QB was a Mike Riley recruit originally funny enough. 

ladyhawke    685

GO BIG RED! Coach Riley is famous for winning games he's not supposed to (e.g.undefeated Michigan). I hope tonight that happens!

Mavric    10,347
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It looks like NU is down to Ozigbo and Bradley at RB today.  I don't see those guys carrying the ball 30+ times between them.  I'm afraid that this is going to lead to Langsdorf going the passing route, and we know how that has not been successful this year.  I think this will lead to sack and interceptions, and NU won't be able to overcome those.

Followed by the excuses about why Langs had no choice but to throw.

HuskerMav11    282
7 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What's weather supposed to be there tonight?   Sorry if I haven't noticed or heard.   Busy day for me today.  

Lower 70s to mid 60s. No rain. Clear skies. 5-10mph wind.

84HuskerLaw    538

Well you can't get better than that.  Weather won't be a factor so the best team should win without that excuse.  Of course, there are always officiating issues, injuries and the flu.  But, I got a good feeling - not sure why but what the heck!   Go Big Red!    

How was the rainfall in Lincoln last night?  Here in Omaha, the rainfall reminded me of the rainstorm Nebraska played at Kansas in 1997 the same weekend, over night, Omaha woke to a freak blizzard, no power, and I couldn't get back to my College in Missouri for 2 days. 

Redux    5,747
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Have we won a turnover battle this year?

Mavric    10,347
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Have we won a turnover battle this year?

+2 vs. Arky St

-2 vs. Oregon

-2 vs. NIll

Even vs. Rutgers

Even vs. Illinois

Landlord    7,848

I'm staying in for the game tonight, so I started a chatroom. Any of you that have been a part of these before know they're a lot of fun, and way better than these cancerous game discussion threads

https://kiwiirc.com/client

Channel name is ##huskerboard (two hashtags). Come join up!