Tristan Gebbia

17 hours ago, knapplc said:

Something to point out about this:  We're on our third Head Coach in that span.

Taylor Martinez, Kellogg, Fyfe, and Armstrong were starting QBs in the last 5 years. All finished at Nebraska. Hoppen may want to keep reporting to real reporters. “Not sure how that looks compared to other schools”. Case in point.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Carriker’s column (from the 26th, before Gebbia skipped practice)

Somehow, I don’t think AM would have reacted the same way Gebbia did. I do know which reaction/mental attitude I want in my quarterback if we are behind on the scoreboard in a game.

I don't think he would've reacted the same way either, but that has more to do with their differing situations rather than attitude or mental toughness imo. He certainly could've handled it differently, but it takes guts to put yourself out there like Gebbia did, he's taking a risk, he's blinking fast - it might not work out "better" for him, but I wouldn't call it rash. I wouldn't say he's giving up.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Taylor Martinez, Kellogg, Fyfe, and Armstrong were starting QBs in the last 5 years. All finished at Nebraska. Hoppen may want to keep reporting to real reporters. “Not sure how that looks compared to other schools”. Case in point.

Martinez & Kellogg were recruited before Armstrong. Fyfe was with Armstrong, but not a starter (pretty sure he's talking about starters anyway).

The guys Hoppen is talking about are Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush & Zack Darlington, Patrick O'Brien and now Gebbia. 

Just now, knapplc said:

Martinez & Kellogg were recruited before Armstrong. Fyfe was with Armstrong, but not a starter (pretty sure he's talking about starters anyway).

The guys Hoppen is talking about are Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush & Zack Darlington, Patrick O'Brien and now Gebbia. 

Stanton, Bush, Darlington, O’Brien, and Gebbia were never starters. Heck , most never played. That is why I wrote my list (starters/major contributors only).

If you don’t start at QB, there is a high chance of transferring. Look at other schools. A quick google search shows that 50% of college QBs transfer. Which is the other point I was making regarding how easy it is to find this information where you don’t have to say “don’t know about other schools”.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruits-quarterback-transfer-clemson-hunter-johnson-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Only Lee did not finish his eligibility at Nebraska in recent years, and he elected to go into the NFL draft not transfer. That’s 4 of the last 10 Nebraska QB who finished here (5 if you count Lee who did not transfer). That puts Nebraska in line with the rest of college football.

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Gebbia owes Nebraska nothing. Anything he wants to give to Nebraska should be accepted with gratitude, and at any time he wants to make a decision that is best for his own personal future, that should be respected and not criticized in terms of being weak/soft/not a leader/selfish. Too many of you have this warped mentality that these players should lay down their lives in service of this school and program. That's not reality. Reality is that college scholarships are a mutual exchange of benefit and services. A school gives a kid resources and an education, and in exchange the kid chooses that place because it's their best opportunity for whatever goals they have in life. If the situation changes, and their goals are better served elsewhere, then the right and proper and mature thing for them to do is to go elsewhere.

If you're disappointed or have a negative opinion of the kid, ask yourself how you'd feel if he was transferring from a different school to come here, and if you'd want him or not. It's a pretty easy hypothetical - think back to what you thought (before they played) of Sam Keller, Tanner Lee, Scott Frost, etc. Were you glad they transferred here? Would you rather the team not have those weak players who couldn't hack it somewhere else? If you ask it honestly it might just reveal that you love your team more than you wish for what's best for 18-22 year old kids trying to do what's right for them.

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Stanton, Bush, Darlington, O’Brien, and Gebbia were never starters. Heck , most never played. That is why I wrote my list (starters/major contributors only).

If you don’t start at QB, there is a high chance of transferring. Look at other schools. A quick google search shows that 50% of college QBs transfer. Which is the other point I was making regarding how easy it is to find this information where you don’t have to say “don’t know about other schools”.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruits-quarterback-transfer-clemson-hunter-johnson-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Only Lee did not finish his eligibility at Nebraska in recent years, and he elected to go into the NFL draft not transfer. That’s 4 of the last 10 Nebraska QB who finished here (5 if you count Lee who did not transfer). That puts Nebraska in line with the rest of college football.

So Hoppen is correct in that 100% of guys not finishing out their eligibility is high, if the national average is 50%.

I think the caveat I put on that tweet is really important, though. 100% may jump out at you, but the five guys to focus on after Armstrong (Stanton, Bush, Darlington, O'Brien & Gebbia) were recruited by different coaches for very different schemes.  I didn't include Tanner Lee because he was a transfer, and Hoppen's original stat was recruits. But he's probably worth factoring in, as you mention.

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Up until a day ago, he was the 3rd string QB behind two freshmen, one not built for the offense and another who hasn't taken a live snap in 2 years. 

And now he's the #2 guy. He's making progress!  :D

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So Hoppen is correct in that 100% of guys not finishing out their eligibility is high, if the national average is 50%.

I think the caveat I put on that tweet is really important, though. 100% may jump out at you, but the five guys to focus on after Armstrong (Stanton, Bush, Darlington, O'Brien & Gebbia) were recruited by different coaches for very different schemes.  I didn't include Tanner Lee because he was a transfer, and Hoppen's original stat was recruits. But he's probably worth factoring in, as you mention.

And now he's the #2 guy. He's making progress!  :D

Imo, it makes no sense to ignore who was playing during the time those guys were here. Especially, because the guys that started at QB and finished their careers here were the reason those guys did neither. Also, if you want to get really technical, you have Bunch and Vedral here that are still TBD.

2 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Imo, it makes no sense to ignore who was playing during the time those guys were here. Especially, because the guys that started at QB and finished their careers here were the reason those guys did neither. Also, if you want to get really technical, you have Bunch and Vedral here that are still TBD.

I think you're right. Armstrong was pretty locked in as a starter, and was sufficiently good that Riley could keep him on (or whatever. Who knows what Riley was doing).  But POB & Gebbia weren't going to supplant him right away.  And Lee was brought in as a stop-gap while O'Brien & Gebbia got up to speed. 

I was using the OWH's signing class tool to refresh my memory about this.  It's crazy how few QBs we signed since 2012. 

I really can't blame Gebbia.  If he was thinking about transferring he couldn't waste any time.  It may not be the best "team player" move, but you also don't want a guy around who is hoping for the starter to fail or to get hurt.  He gave it his all and just got beat out.  Good luck to him wherever he lands.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Imo, it makes no sense to ignore who was playing during the time those guys were here. Especially, because the guys that started and finished their career here were the reason those guys did neither. Also, if you want to get really technical, you have Bunch and Vedrap here that are still TBD.

Why are you arguing the point.  These players were not recruited by Nebraska, they are both transfer walk-ons.  

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia