Tristan Gebbia

3 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

If that's what he wants to do. All I know, if I was in his shoes, there's no way I'd go to a Juco. I did not play sports past high school and went to a four-year university. I took some classes from a Juco though and there's no way I'd ever want to deal with any of that stuff again.

Not every juco is like Mid Plains!!

• Plus1 2

I am just guessing here, but it did not sould like Coach Frost expected this to happen.  

I can agree he wasn't recruited by this staff and I think with that situation you should be able to leave, but leaving at the appropriate time should have been considered.  Waiting until the last week to up and walk off is not fair to the team.  Remember this a team sport.    

There are a lot of kids on the team, I would imagine that were on the Gebbia side.  How will they respond to this.  This leaving affects the team and the last thing we needed was anything planned to cause a problem.  Meaning if I don't get the starting job, I am leaving.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BoSolich said:

from everything i've heard, Martinez has been the better QB in practice and it wasn't even close

i'd imagine gebbia has had this planned for a while, but was just waiting for the official word before moving on.

I think martinez is going to be the real deal. my only concern now is if he goes down with an injury, and we have no scholarship QBs to backup

Maybe you heard something different, but I had heard that at the beginning of camp, but not after the first week.

In hindsight I take it as AM having come into camp in better shape and having performed better the first few days before Gebbia and him started going back and forth.

1 minute ago, Oade said:

Maybe you heard something different, but I had heard that at the beginning of camp, but not after the first week.

In hindsight I take it as AM having come into camp in better shape and having performed better the first few days before Gebbia and him started going back and forth.

like i said last week, martinez was dominating and frost has been downplaying it in post practice interviews to keep him motivated.

55 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

If a player transfers to another team within the conference,  they have to sit 2 years.  

That was a Big 12 rule that doesn't exist in the Big 10.

Edit:  I guess Big 10 changed rule in 2012 for intra-conference transfers.  It is still only sitting out 1 year, but you lose a year of eligibility unless granted full release of your NLI.

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

We don't know he would have been the backup the whole season. Obviously he would have been in the opener, but there's no guarantee Martinez will stay healthy or would be productive. It's not a stretch to say Martinez could have shoulder problems or any other kind of injury.

It's also not a stretch to say Martinez could really struggle. True freshman don't have a great track record in college football history. Obviously there are exceptions, but I don't expect Martinez to light the Big 10 on fire in year one.

I'm not saying Gebbia should have just gritted his teeth and sat on the bench his whole career. But recent history strongly suggests that Gebbia could transfer in December and also start two or three games this fall. 

This kid has 4 years to demonstrate his value to the NFL, and your suggestion is he stay at NU on the off chance the true freshman starter that beat him out either doesn’t pan out or gets injured. 

If he stays, that’d be great. But he needs to do whatever it takes to set himself up for life after college. And if he wants to be in the NFL, he needs to be the starter. 

• Plus1 6

Read through all the posts and am disappointed like many others.

Gebbia obviously thinks that he has the talent to start and be a playmaker for a team right now and I can’t fault him for that.

Martinez being the starter for the next 4 years isn’t a guarantee either, so a little bit of me is surprised that Gebbia decided to bail.  

All I can go by is the spring game, but Martinez just seems to have the intangibles needed to improvise in this offense. Gebbia seems more programmed and looks like he was made for a pro style offense... doesn’t have the right body type either for this offense.  Anyways, good luck Tristan !

56 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I have no inside info, but I doubt he goes to Wisconsin. I'd imagine Nebraska would block him from going to any conference opponent. If I had to guess, I would think he goes back to a school in California.

Probably right, but I still hate this power the schools have. Let him go whenever he wants

• Plus1 3

He seems pretty prepared to play at UCLA. He may not be able to take it to the house with his legs, which is probably why he wasn’t picked as the starter. This is Nebraska! Our QBs should always be a threat to score running touchdowns. I saw Gebbia as a Steve Young type of runner. Scamper for a first down and frustrate the opposing defense again and again. Best of luck to him. I personally would have pointed out to Gebbia that the statue out front of Memorial stadium is of the backup to Tommie Frazier. We all know NU would not have had the run of success without Brook Berringer!

• Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia