Tristan Gebbia

26 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

While unfortunate this is not too concerning. First AM should now feel even less pressure having someone look over his shoulder. Second, Bunch is probably a better backup than anyone we have had in a long time. Third we have McCaffrey and then Smothers coming in 2019 and 2020. The QB pipeline at Nebraska will be just fine.

tenor.gif?itemid=3409084

I don't think anyone hears you.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Very disappointing. On one hand, Gebbia worked very hard, did/said all the right things through the transition, and deserves to play somewhere. On the other hand, this seems like a hasty decision that could backfire for everyone involved.

Now a lot of you are being very diplomatic about the young man who was in a tough spot, which is all fine and good. But the salty side of me tends to think its a little immature and impulsive to immediately throw in a towel and leave immediately after the game 1 decision was made, and maybe his attitude/head are in the wrong place. Am I wrong?

Selfishly, I'm bummed because having 2 highly talented QBs on the same roster is a rare luxury we no longer have.

Looking at it from Gebbia's point of view, though, it seems like the only option unless he wants to throw away a year of eligibility.  So I don't really see it as immature or impulsive at all.  Maybe the exact opposite of immature and impulsive.

• Plus1 4
30 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Third we have McCaffrey and then Smothers coming in 2019 and 2020. The QB pipeline at Nebraska will be just fine.

Both sound very committed, but they're still just commits and it is a long ways off. They're also both, at this time, considered more projects than a guy like Martinez. High ceiling types that were more likely to redshirt. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Selfishly, I'm bummed because having 2 highly talented QBs on the same roster is a rare luxury we no longer have.

Looking at it from Gebbia's point of view, though, it seems like the only option unless he wants to throw away a year of eligibility.  So I don't really see it as immature or impulsive at all.  Maybe the exact opposite of immature and impulsive.

As a fan, it sucks.  For him it makes sense, if you are him.

• Plus1 1

I haven't read through he first 200 posts here, so I'm sure this at least partly rehashing things.

Anyways, I don't really blame Gebbia for wanting to leave, but it's kinds of an odd decision. Why not wait until the end of the regualr season? There's no guarantee that Martinez stays healthy. He could also get benched for struggling. Nebraska has had at least one game that the backup QB played extensively, either because of injury or ineffectiveness, each year since 2013.

2013: Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe each started at least once.

2014: Armstrong left both the Michigan State and Iowa games for a time.

2015: That Purdue game we all want to forget.

2016: Ryker started against Maryland and Tennessee and played a lot against OSU.

2017: Tanner Lee missed a bunch of the Minnesota game.

It seems short-sighted to me for Gebbia to leave right now when he could leave in December. Heck he might end up starting here for six games and become the full-time starter. Worst-case scenario, he transfers in December as a redshirt freshman and after sitting out can play two full years at his new school.

• Plus1 2

Frost did say that Martinez/Gebbia was an Apple/Orange deal.

So maybe Martinez is the Apple of Scott Frost's eye & Gebbia should consider at the Syracuse Orange.

Here is their Senior starting QB stats. Gebbia's competition would be a fellow redshirt freshman, Tommy DeVito.

Gebbia is playing a high stakes game by transferring. If he can't win the starting position with a 2nd school, his dream of playing in the NFL may be on Life Support.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think many are suggesting he stay here as a backup for 4 years. I think most are talking about him leaving now vs January. 

If he leaves now he can go to a JUCO and play, if he says he sits all of this year and then all of next year after transferring. That's a lot to ask of a kid we just told won't play any meaningful snaps.

30 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I haven't read through he first 200 posts here, so I'm sure this at least partly rehashing things.

Anyways, I don't really blame Gebbia for wanting to leave, but it's kinds of an odd decision. Why not wait until the end of the regualr season? There's no guarantee that Martinez stays healthy. He could also get benched for struggling. Nebraska has had at least one game that the backup QB played extensively, either because of injury or ineffectiveness, each year since 2013.

2013: Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe each started at least once.

2014: Armstrong left both the Michigan State and Iowa games for a time.

2015: That Purdue game we all want to forget.

2016: Ryker started against Maryland and Tennessee and played a lot against OSU.

2017: Tanner Lee missed a bunch of the Minnesota game.

It seems short-sighted to me for Gebbia to leave right now when he could leave in December. Heck he might end up starting here for six games and become the full-time starter. Worst-case scenario, he transfers in December as a redshirt freshman and after sitting out can play two full years at his new school.

It's selfish to ask him to sit out for two years so we can have a backup. If he leaves now at worst he sits for one and can play next season. At best, if he goes to a JUCO, he can play immediately this year and transfer back to D1 next year and play immediately.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia