Tristan Gebbia

Good luck to the young man. It is tough because he could have really helped with depth but it makes sense for him to leave now. This year is a wasted year but he will have three years left to play elsewhere. He might actually want to go to OU because after Murray leaves for baseball they don't have anyone that jumps off the screen that screams starter at this time. Either that or SJSU, Fresno, SDSU etc might have spots for him. Ole Miss was mentioned in this thread but I am not sure he will want to play there. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I love how fans treat these kids differently than they'd treat the same scenario in the free market.

If a big promotion came around at work that you and one other very qualified employee were fighting for and he got it and not you, nobody would spite you for weighing better options with a different company. You make the decisions that put yourself in the best position to be successful.

The same concepts surely apply to talented young collegiate athletes.

Well said and I agree. These players have the same emotions and competitive nature as the rest of us. 

I'm sure it was talked about already in past topics, but the fact that they are both freshman made this a real possibility of happening, especially if Gebbia lost out since his RS is gone. 

Very disappointing. On one hand, Gebbia worked very hard, did/said all the right things through the transition, and deserves to play somewhere. On the other hand, this seems like a hasty decision that could backfire for everyone involved.

Now a lot of you are being very diplomatic about the young man who was in a tough spot, which is all fine and good. But the salty side of me tends to think its a little immature and impulsive to immediately throw in a towel and leave immediately after the game 1 decision was made, and maybe his attitude/head are in the wrong place. Am I wrong?

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Very disappointing. On one hand, Gebbia worked very hard, did/said all the right things through the transition, and deserves to play somewhere. On the other hand, this seems like a hasty decision that could backfire for everyone involved.

Now a lot of you are being very diplomatic about the young man who was in a tough spot, which is all fine and good. But the salty side of me tends to think its a little immature and impulsive to immediately throw in a towel and leave immediately after the game 1 decision was made, and maybe his attitude/head are in the wrong place. Am I wrong?

I think so.  The problem is Adrian Martinez.  He isn't going away.  If it was down to Gebbia and a junior or senior I think you could question his decision more.  Even if Martinez gets hurt for half the year, he probably comes back and starts next year because he's just a better fit.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't get too worked up on the decisions of 18-22 year old young men.  If Gebbia wasn't going to be fully engaged and didn't want to stick it out for NU, then it's best that he transfers.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Your post is so ridiculous that it could almost make me think you're trolling.

I actually hope you're trolling...

If you consider thinking moves ahead of you = trolling... 

You can be Pollyanna about it if you like, but college athletics is Big Business. The Scott Frost system is the equivalent of knowing how to turn water into gasoline. You don't think that there are schools (or boosters) in the Big 10 that would not pay a lot of money to pick Gebbia's brain about that system, the sideline play calling system, specific plays now that he has shown his loyalties are elsewhere? Whether he does it or not is a separate question, but the guy has shown he is looking out for Number One and his resentment may go as far as hurting Frost and the team as much as possible. 

So, about Gebbia's decision. If this has been brought up earlier in this thread, my apologies. I'm not checking back through four pages, three of which are probably griping, to find this.

Gebbia has to go immediately if he's going to go at all. He has to find a school, transfer, enroll, move, and get his stuff to his new home within days, maybe hours. If he gets transferred quickly enough, this becomes his penalty year. He sits out this year, then has a shot to play next year.

If he waits a week, even a few days, he may have to sit out this year AND next year.  Dumb move on his part. This is the only decision he can legitimately make.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia