***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2023***

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Welp.  We're screwed now.

Handed out more Blackshirts.  Not respecting the tradition.

Sanford, Henrich and Butler are now Blackshirts.

One is a walk-on.  :facepalm:

I'm honestly surprised the media haven't been asking this week by week - there have been changes before this week. It's who they expect to start each game, and we have different base looks for Michigan versus LA Tech. The fact that White said adding Reimer back has us at 12 would mean Butler took someone else's (Gunnerson?), they're not just adding guys. 

• Plus1 1

I think we can all agree that our D had one great goal line stand against Illinois.  It was the turning point of the game when the game was barely underway.

Well in the future, if they need to mix it up a bit to fool future opponents when they are on our 1 yard line - I suggest this play

Story

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/video-high-school-program-has-creative-answer-to-stuff-quarterback-sneak/ar-AA1inqDF?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=669693cef43d4cdf9b4ffc967aebcc86&ei=15

Video

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, Micheal said:

Really need to get going in the takeaway department. 

That’s really the only negative with the D so far.  But, maybe White doesn’t want his defenders to take a lot of chances to create turnovers.  Maybe, he just wants to keep teams in front of the defenders, and force them to go the length of the field. 

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s really the only negative with the D so far.  But, maybe White doesn’t want his defenders to take a lot of chances to create turnovers.  Maybe, he just wants to keep teams in front of the defenders, and force them to go the length of the field. 

With the offenses Nebraska’s facing; I like that srategy.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well it would be nice if they capitalized on their opportunities.  They have dropped multiple balls that should have been INTs.  I also think it's time to find a permanent replacement for Hartzog.  Most of the receptions teams get are from whoever he is guarding 

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well it would be nice if they capitalized on their opportunities.  They have dropped multiple balls that should have been INTs.  I also think it's time to find a permanent replacement for Hartzog.  Most of the receptions teams get are from whoever he is guarding 

Hartzog has struggled at times, but I wouldn’t say he needs to be benched. Hartzog has a tough assignment with the field (wide) side of the field, and having so much space to cover. Plus, he was practicing the past 2 weeks at safety, played there the entire first half, and then moved to CB after Tommi Hill injured his ankle at the end of the first half.

As fans, I think we forget that the other team can have good players too. Give credit to the NW receiver for making a great route on that double-move which burned Hartzog, and give credit for the NW QB to step up in the pocket and avoiding pressure to get that pass away. Also, give credit to Hartzog for hustling downfield and tripping up the NW receiver short of the end zone. Hartzog also made a good tackle against a big tight end on 3rd and goal.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Hartzog has struggled at times, but I wouldn’t say he needs to be benched. Hartzog has a tough assignment with the field (wide) side of the field, and having so much space to cover. Plus, he was practicing the past 2 weeks at safety, played there the entire first half, and then moved to CB after Tommi Hill injured his ankle at the end of the first half.

As fans, I think we forget that the other team can have good players too. Give credit to the NW receiver for making a great route on that double-move which burned Hartzog, and give credit for the NW QB to step up in the pocket and avoiding pressure to get that pass away. Also, give credit to Hartzog for hustling downfield and tripping up the NW receiver short of the end zone. Hartzog also made a good tackle against a big tight end on 3rd and goal.

I wasn't just basing it off this game.  He has come up in the run game a few times and made nice plays.  I just don't think he's all that good in coverage and he's undersized.  If he was breaking on balls and making nice plays I'ld be in his corner.  But he gives up catches.  He got lucky on the crossing route when he fell down at the guys feet and he tripped over him.  That probably would have been 6

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I wasn't just basing it off this game.  He has come up in the run game a few times and made nice plays.  I just don't think he's all that good in coverage and he's undersized.  If he was breaking on balls and making nice plays I'ld be in his corner.  But he gives up catches.  He got lucky on the crossing route when he fell down at the guys feet and he tripped over him.  That probably would have been 6

I think he needs to calm down. He has consistently been beat on double moves. Once he gains more experience he should be fine.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Hartzog has plenty of room to grow but is also tasked with a very tough assignment being alone on an island on the wide side of the field with our scheme being heavily weighted towards stacking the box, sending pressure and stopping the run. I'm guessing that White understands and accepts the reality that he will occasionally get beat.

• TBH 1