** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Besides the PJ ego stuff, everything else sounds like a normal high level football program.

Yeah - I definitely look for reasons to bash PJ, but you can find accusations of preferential treatment and tough punishments anywhere. He's a weird dude, but it's also hard to tell from the article what is official and what the players called things. Like the "Fleck Bank" - it would be very weird if he actually called it that. But tracking study habits and community service and getting some kind of perk for doing well or a consequence for not? That's pretty normal, and happens here too. He has more of a cult leader vibe than most college football coaches, but they all try to impose a structure and culture that won't fit with every player.

• Plus1 1

Actual outsiders or people inside who for whatever reason can't fit in, will always see any community system that is tight knit around a specific shared goal and belief as being 'cultish'.

Sports locker rooms are absolutely up there with the best of them in terms of groupthink, because you fail without buy-in. That's why the leaders try to eliminate outside distractions and have clear messaging, values, expectations, etc. Same is true of churches, the military, bands on tour, etc.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

The more post practice vids I see, and the closer the Minny game gets, I am starting to feel this Husker team will be more than ready to go.  

Yeah it's a road game, big atmosphere, gold-out, Thursday Night game with a lot of pregame emotions and excitement.  College football is fun like that.

But,...  we know Minnesota will punt the ball to play field position and wait for the Huskers to make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, etc).  I mean, that is their M.O. when they struggle offensively.

Having said that, I am getting a little more excited about the season and won't rule this game as a lock ("W for Minny").  It actually could be the best season opener type of game we need.  :)

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2