** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

51 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

I think our defense will give a decent enough showing but no reason to expect anything but Michigan to roll.

Definitely not expecting anything different, but the RB injuries could spur some interesting things. I'd guess the La Tech game will be a lot of Grant with Emmett and Ives getting some looks, and the same offense we've seen. No reason to play that any differently. But against someone like Michigan, I think you bring out the weird stuff - Kemp in the backfield, maybe some Tommi Hill, use Bonner like they used Jaheim Bell at South Carolina. Sims at QB and Haarberg at H-Back again, but maybe something different than the one RPO they ran twice against Minnesota.

This isn't a game we would have won playing them straight up, and now with no RB depth maybe there's an extra push for creativity. Still almost certainly not enough, but I get the sense Satterfield wants to exploit favorable matchups and looks from within his existing offense and not get too gimmicky. But I'd rather try to get weird, and now we might actually need to. 

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely not expecting anything different, but the RB injuries could spur some interesting things. I'd guess the La Tech game will be a lot of Grant with Emmett and Ives getting some looks, and the same offense we've seen. No reason to play that any differently. But against someone like Michigan, I think you bring out the weird stuff - Kemp in the backfield, maybe some Tommi Hill, use Bonner like they used Jaheim Bell at South Carolina. Sims at QB and Haarberg at H-Back again, but maybe something different than the one RPO they ran twice against Minnesota.

This isn't a game we would have won playing them straight up, and now with no RB depth maybe there's an extra push for creativity. Still almost certainly not enough, but I get the sense Satterfield wants to exploit favorable matchups and looks from within his existing offense and not get too gimmicky. But I'd rather try to get weird, and now we might actually need to. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, husker009 said:

Michigan has looked very pedestrian so far, and all they've played is cupcakes. Unfortunately, team health has reared its ugly head, otherwise I think we could have made this a game at home. 

Michigan has been practicing these first 3 games. All of the  1st string DBs and safeties have been working through injuries. They rotate so many in the front 7, that 3rd string is playing in the 4th quarter. Running backs are getting limited reps to try and keep them healthy. They are trying to find the second string QB too. That said, their offensive line has been underwhelming with run blocking as have the receivers. The defense has been stellar so far but probably hasn't had to break a sweat yet. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
12 hours ago, husker009 said:

Michigan has looked very pedestrian so far, and all they've played is cupcakes. Unfortunately, team health has reared its ugly head, otherwise I think we could have made this a game at home. 

At least we're healthy on defense. Hate to say it, but Nebraska needs to pull an Iowa here. Rely on the defense and help the defense out by burning clock and not turning the ball over on offense. And maybe if the football gods are favorable to Nebraska, the defense can get 2 or 3 turnovers and Nebraska can pull off a 17-14 or 20-17 win out of no where.  

• Oh Yeah! 2
6 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

At least we're healthy on defense. Hate to say it, but Nebraska needs to pull an Iowa here. Rely on the defense and help the defense out by burning clock and not turning the ball over on offense. And maybe if the football gods are favorable to Nebraska, the defense can get 2 or 3 turnovers and Nebraska can pull off a 17-14 or 20-17 win out of no where.  

To really pull an Iowa we also need Buschini to be better than he has been - although I don't really have complaints about his performance last week. 

Some comments on this game from mgo I thought were funny.

https://mgoblog.com/content/opponent-watch-2023-week-3#read-more

"Despite this column’s insistence last week that Matt Rhule didn’t have any other options, the Jeff Sims Voyage Of The Damned has been placed on hold for the moment, as he has been replaced by ⁠— and I say this with the appropriate level of respect ⁠— the most Nebraska-a$$ quarterback since Eric Crouch. Heinrich Haarberg is 6’5”, just-thicker-than-a-beanpole skinny, runs very fast in a straight line, and can generally throw a football accurately in a right direction. Most importantly, he had 45 pass attempts and carries combined, and he only turned the ball over once (and even that wasn’t really his fault; he got strip-sacked by a free rusher)."

"Michigan should worry about: I… I think I like Nebraska’s front seven? They might be legitimately good? Nebraska has 14 sacks on the season, and even excluding sacks they’re only allowing 3.7 yards per carry on the ground. Their fronts are tricky, their pressures are creative, and they have a 330 pound defensive tackle wearing #0. What’s not to like?"

"When they play Michigan: Turner Corcoran might be the worst pass blocker starting for any Power 5 team. If Nebraska gets into passing downs, Corcoran versus Derrick Moore might get someone killed."

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Looking beatable. Wish we were the ones to expose them tho, not Rutgers. I’m sure they’ll handle business but there’s an ounce of hopium. 

Didn't really watch the game, but seems the same as last week. Really weak first half and then ground the opponent into submission the last half.

If we hadn't lost our RBs last week this might have been a decent old school B1G game. Now I think it's just a slow grind and Nebraska's defense just getting the crap knocked out of them in a valiant 4 quarter effort. Not sure how we score more than 10 with our offense.

• Plus1 1