2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Until this year I probably would not have been very understanding of this situation, but I have a kid that, over the course of a few years, went from loving a sport, then began to barely like it, then started to hate it 1/4 of the way into this past season, so now I get it. Nothing is worse than an athlete out there trying to fake that they care.  My kid truly tried to handle business on the field, and did ok at it, but the passion was not there anymore and its just a waste of time at that point.  We made the decision to hang up the uniform because it isn't fair to everybody else on team to only partially be "in." I can't hate on Betts for making the same choice.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Until this year I probably would not have been very understanding of this situation, but I have a kid that, over the course of a few years, went from loving a sport, then began to barely like it, then started to hate it 1/4 of the way into this past season, so now I get it. Nothing is worse than an athlete out there trying to fake that they care.  My kid truly tried to handle business on the field, and did ok at it, but the passion was not there anymore and its just a waste of time at that point.  We made the decision to hang up the uniform because it isn't fair to everybody else on team to only partially be "in." I can't hate on Betts for making the same choice.

Especially for kids that play starting at a young age, travel ball, camps, etc., it starts to turn into a chore/job for many of them and they lose interest. Watched several kids my son played baseball with fade away for the same reason over the years.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

I feel for ya, man.  My son is approaching his senior year in high school, and his main sport is baseball.  While he loves it, he's not willing to do whatever it takes to try and play at the college level.  He doesn't want to go to some JUCO in a small town in Kansas or Colorado, with another 50-75 kids, all trying to do whatever it takes to continue playing.  He has one school in mind for him, and is going to a tryout camp in a couple of weeks to give it a shot.  But, that's about it.

I am sure some of his coaches or friends think that he's selling himself short, but he has other interests and passions in life.  It helps that my son is doing great academically, and will have a lot of opportunities no matter what he does.  I feel for kids who feel the pressure to continue playing a sport just because their parents have spent unknown $ in their youth on a given sport.  I don't have an issue for kids doing whatever they think is the best for them, because it's their lives.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

On 8/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I actually think the running back room is decent with 2-3 solid RB’s. They aren’t great, but serviceable. The running game will depend on the o-line, along with having Sims be enough of a running threat to force defenses to play 11 on 11. I still say the biggest issue last year was CT not being a true run threat, so defenses didn’t need to keep an extra guy focused on him. 

Having Sims be a running threat will help, but I'm not sure I agree about the RBs. Particularly to close the season,the RBs struggled. 

Grant: last 3 games 2.0, 1.8, 0.4 YPC, 0 TDs. Up and down year.

Irvin: 6 total carries in last 3 games, 2.4 YPC, 0 TDs

Johnson: 2 carries against Michigan 6.5 YPC, 0, and 4.5 YPC against Iowa. Great game against Iowa but had costly turnover. 

That's with Trey Palmer keeping defenses honest. Nebraska is going to have to lean on the defense and hopefully start winning turnover battles to hope for 6 wins.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
7 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

If I recall, in between leaving the first time & coming he got in trouble with law in Omaha.  He says he staying in school.  I hope so, going back Omaha is not in his best interest.

Betts was arrested for speeding and had some marijuana in his possession. That’s about as minor an offense as you can have. But, you know how those Omaha kids are such a problem.  This may be a shocker, but kids can get a hold of marijuana and other drugs in Lincoln and a lot of other places in state of Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Betts was arrested for speeding and had some marijuana in his possession. That’s about as minor an offense as you can have. But, you know how those Omaha kids are such a problem.  This may be a shocker, but kids can get a hold of marijuana and other drugs in Lincoln and a lot of other places in state of Nebraska. 

I think SouthLincoln may be trying to say there are probably some bad influences for the kid in Omaha and the further he stays away from them the better for his future.  That may not be the true case in this situation, but I know it has been for many other college and pro athletes to stay away from where they grew up.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Minor offense indeed, but then he followed it up with a failure to appear in court. He just seems like a young guy that needs the structure and support of the football program in order to thrive. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3
13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think SouthLincoln may be trying to say there are probably some bad influences for the kid in Omaha and the further he stays away from them the better for his future.  That may not be the true case in this situation, but I know it has been for many other college and pro athletes to stay away from where they grew up.  

You are correct. I just hope he actually stays in school.  Colorado & I have an on-going disagreement about Omaha athletes & Huskers.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

12 hours ago, Caveman said:

Minor offense indeed, but then he followed it up with a failure to appear in court. He just seems like a young guy that needs the structure and support of the football program in order to thrive. 

There could be a variety of explanations as to how Zavier arrived at his decision. It seems that he's gotten himself on a better path.  Structure and support is an integral part of accomplishing that. We'd love having him on the team. It's possible that (for him) continuing would be forcing things.

Perhaps there're  something other that he's passionate about pursuing long-term. One cannot enjoy or be committed to what one is doing without truly wanting to do it. In the same respect, we don't want anything to come in the way of a person achieving their dreams due to whatever challenges one might be having. Those things can be worked through. The important thing is that Betts (or any other person/player) is being honest with themselves. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/13/2023 at 5:15 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the marijuana was a ticket in Iowa.  And he skipped that court day.  When he got pulled over in Sarpy County eeeks/months later for speeding they found the warrant from Iowa.

Im sure he is the first person to skip an out of state appearance thinking it wouldn’t be a big deal.

edit:

https://www.wowt.com/2022/10/17/former-husker-football-player-arrested-la-vista/

He was pulled over at 1:30 am.  And not drinking or in possession of weed.  He actually might have a leg up on a lot of college football players.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I think the marijuana was a ticket in Iowa.  And he skipped that court day.  When he got pulled over in Sarpy County eeeks/months later for speeding they found the warrant from Iowa.

Im sure he is the first person to skip an out of state appearance thinking it wouldn’t be a big deal.

edit:

https://www.wowt.com/2022/10/17/former-husker-football-player-arrested-la-vista/

He was pulled over at 1:30 am.  And not drinking or in possession of weed.  He actually might have a leg up on a lot of college football players.

At least he didn't bet on Iowa games!