Rhule or Sanders

HuskerX

After watching the Colorado/TCU game, who would you rather have as Huskers Head Coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Rhule or Deion Sanders

• Rhule
    • Sanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2023 at 01:21 AM

23 hours ago, HuskerX said:

Much of what the average person thinks “culture” is, is really a by-product of results - and more than anything, it’s primarily an illusion. Intangible and fleeting.

Like when Dr. Tom retired and the “culture” left with him.

You are correct that how a culture's judged is by on-field success; however, I do believe culture is more than just winning and losing. Culture includes the practices, traditions, and standards to which a program holds their players and coaches. As an example, I'd point out Kansas State football during the Snyder era(s). Prior to Snyder, K-State was awful. He never had the most talented teams or the most innovative strategies, but he found a way to build a sustainable winning culture which routinely beat more talented teams. If we can build that type of standard/culture, the winning should follow. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'd trade every other definition of the "culture" at Nebraska for a commitment to having one of the best offensive lines in the nation. I honestly think a lot of good stuff -- like winning -- falls out of treating the OL as a skill position. 

Highest IQ position group on any football team is the OL, strongest position group is the OL, quickest position group on a pound-per-pound basis is the OL -- the OL is the ultimate skill position group.

• Plus1 1

I thought Sanders was intriguing but too risky, a feast or famine situation where we can't afford another failed regime.. I do think he made solid coordinator hires to shore things up into a P5 staff. Of particular smarts was getting the Kent State HC to quit to become Prime's OC/qb-coach and bring along his O-line coach. Kent State's O was nasty, now CU's is humming in game-one. On the positive side I do think Rhule will eventually get it done and unlike Sanders would he considers this his final station. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 9/3/2023 at 7:48 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Yea, no. Deion was and frankly still is completely unproven at the power 5 level. That team that played for a natty got blown out by the worst margin in the history of college football championship games and also lost a ton of key play players on both sides of the ball. It's one game man. 

Interesting this is the narrative after the game.  Before the game they were 20 point favorites.

If it's just a matter of TCU being that bad then it should be an easy win for a proven coach like Rhule.

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, Danimal said:

I thought Sanders was intriguing but too risky, a feast or famine situation where we can't afford another failed regime.. I do think he made solid coordinator hires to shore things up into a P5 staff. Of particular smarts was getting the Kent State HC to quit to become Prime's OC/qb-coach and bring along his O-line coach. Kent State's O was nasty, now CU's is humming in game-one. On the positive side I do think Rhule will eventually get it done and unlike Sanders would he considers this his final station. 

Absent an 80%+ winning percentage here, having Rhule “consider this his final station” is utterly unimportant.

We want wins, not average-to-worse coaches looking to cash paychecks. Time will obviously tell what we have in Rhule.

OK, let me get this straight. It was better to lose the first game than to win the first game? After losing for 20 years, it seems like maybe the players, coaches, and fans have grown used to losing. This whole "I'd rather lose now and build" is BS. With the NIL and transfer portal this theory is so 5, 10, or 20 years ago. The days of recruiting a player and that player having the loyalty to stick with the team until they get to start as a Junior or Senior is over. You either win or the good players will leave. 

Out of everything, I'd be most upset that Ruhl did not seem pissed at the presser. He should have been pissed at his players, coaches, and refs. It might not have changed anything, but it could show some passion, which is something that I thought he had more of.

If you do start to build a program, he will be off to the Pros again...................................

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

OK, let me get this straight. It was better to lose the first game than to win the first game? After losing for 20 years, it seems like maybe the players, coaches, and fans have grown used to losing. This whole "I'd rather lose now and build" is BS. With the NIL and transfer portal this theory is so 5, 10, or 20 years ago. The days of recruiting a player and that player having the loyalty to stick with the team until they get to start as a Junior or Senior is over. You either win or the good players will leave. 

Out of everything, I'd be most upset that Ruhl did not seem pissed at the presser. He should have been pissed at his players, coaches, and refs. It might not have changed anything, but it could show some passion, which is something that I thought he had more of.

If you do start to build a program, he will be off to the Pros again...................................

No chance. He's made it well known that the NFL does not fit what he enjoys which is developing student athletes and the college experience. 

As for his "passion," I'm not sure flying off the handle one game into the season is the right type of coach for our program. Nor do we want a coach blasting his players or other coaches in the media.

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

I would imagine that he wouldn't go to the NFL again.........However, he is definitely a coast guy so i can see him bolting for his Alma mater or another coastal school.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Rhule is a different person in front of the camera.  I have no doubt he got on the team about all the mistakes.  He doesn't have to do it in public as well.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Interesting this is the narrative after the game.  Before the game they were 20 point favorites.

If it's just a matter of TCU being that bad then it should be an easy win for a proven coach like Rhule.

Did I say they were bad? It isn't the narrative, it is the truth. That TCU team IS NOT the team that played for a title last year plain and simple. 20 point favorites for the first game of the year doesn't mean squat. The only person trying to create a narrative here is you. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2