What did we learn? NIU Edition

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Let's get our transitive property on! Tonight we beat Northern Illinois. Northern Illinois beat Boston College two weeks ago. Tonight, #3 Florida State squeaked by Boston College 31-29. Guys, I think we've got a shot against Florida State! :koolaid2:

Colorado vs North Carolina in the Championship game!!!  :thumbs

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I just don't think you put Sims in again. Rely on your defense and don't turn it over. 

I'm leaning this direction, as well.

Maybe (and I mean, maybe) Sims has a higher ceiling or 'wow' factor that stood out during the spring, summer and fall camp, but he had two games to show that and didn't. Haarberg got one shot to show his capabilities and did.

• Plus1 4

How long has it been since we had screen passes that actually worked? Its a big difference on offense to have those executed and working properly in terms of keeping the defense honest, and they called 2 tonight at the perfect times for key first downs. 

I cant tell if NIU just tackles extremely well or if we just dont have the players that can make a single player miss or break a tackle when needed. Probably a little bit of both, but it seems like getting players like that would have led to some bigger plays tonight. 

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

How long has it been since we had screen passes that actually worked? Its a big difference on offense to have those executed and working properly in terms of keeping the defense honest, and they called 2 tonight at the perfect times for key first downs. 

Good stuff. Yeah that tunnel screen (I think it was) was such great execution by everybody involved.

12 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I cant tell if NIU just tackles extremely well or if we just dont have the players that can make a single player miss or break a tackle when needed. Probably a little bit of both, but it seems like getting players like that would have led to some bigger plays tonight. 

I thought Fidone would break some of those. I don't really love some of our slow-developing passing plays where the target is basically just two yards out from the line of scrimmage in the flat. Defenses are all over it. Either quick hit it way outside, or just go downfield.

A lot of these plays to the flat out of the heavy sets just aren't fooling anybody, but Satterfield clearly loves them.

• Plus1 4