Gabe Ervin and Rahmir Johnson out for the season

Red Five

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That's horrible news.   Just when I was starting to feel a bit of optimism about the running game.  This offense just cannot catch a break.  I would withold judgment on Satterfield this season.  It's going to be bad, and it's not all his fault.

Emmett "Mr. Football" Johnson, come on down.

I wouldn't sleep on Emmett just yet. Very talented, just unproven. Hopefully he will surprise us.

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Rhamir's had to be more then just dislocated with it ending his season.  I can understand Gabe's because a dislocated hip is a pretty major thing especially when it can affect the femoral artery. 

Rhule said he's getting surgery so it sounds pretty bad, but yeah you hear about guys coming back mid season from dislocations all the time. I kinda wonder if they're going to try to get him a medical redshirt. Every staff has been pretty high on him, which makes you wonder why he just disappears all the time.

38 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

We’re supposed to be developing a “next man up” program. If this season is about building for the next few years, this will be tough, but it ain’t a bad thing. Mr. Johnson, Mr. Ives, let’s see what ya got. We’ll be better next year for it.  

Glad I read the thread because I was going to say exactly this.

Also, through 3 games: 

Johnson- 12 carries, 65 yds., 0 TD’s

Ervin Jr.- 38 carries, 196 yds., 1 TD 

Neither are game breakers.  Feel bad for the guys, but realistically, shouldn’t be difficult to replace. 

• Plus1 1

Let's not forget Luben:

Before Nebraska (Wahoo HS)
Luben finished his prep career at Wahoo High School as one of the most productive running backs in recent Nebraska high school history. Luben totaled 4,741 career rushing yards and scored 474 points during his career. As a senior, Luben led the Warriors to a perfect 13-0 record and the Class C-1 state championship. He rushed for 2,136 yards and 41 touchdowns and capped his career with 41 carries for 268 yards and five touchdowns in the state title game. Luben was the honorary captain of the Omaha World-Herald's Class C-1 all-state team and also earned All-Omaha Area honors. Luben was also an all-state pick as a junior when Wahoo finished 10-2 and reached the state semifinal round. Luben also played on both sides of the ball as a sophomore for Wahoo’s 10-2 team.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

The term "next man up" becomes more than a 'catch phrase' this week. Frosh RB Kwinten Ives is now a possible active player. I have had the privilege of coaching him for his HS years. The young man is a true 'diamond-in-the-rough' for Nebraska. He is a physical stud.....big, fast, strong, and great hands. More importantly, he is a great competitor, and a kid with outstanding character. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Oh Yeah! 2

25 minutes ago, Pote said:

The term "next man up" becomes more than a 'catch phrase' this week. Frosh RB Kwinten Ives is now a possible active player. I have had the privilege of coaching him for his HS years. The young man is a true 'diamond-in-the-rough' for Nebraska. He is a physical stud.....big, fast, strong, and great hands. More importantly, he is a great competitor, and a kid with outstanding character. 

Here's hoping that all translates to the B1G. :cheers

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I think he probably just had a pretty severe separation. Recovery can be on the order of weeks for minor ones, but up to 5-6 months.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/helping-athletes-with-dislocated-shoulder

Also loved this tidbit in there - gonna guess you'd notice the symptoms in the second sentence first.

From experience, the list of symptoms greatly understates the sensation of a dislocated shoulder.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
3 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Glad I read the thread because I was going to say exactly this.

Also, through 3 games: 

Johnson- 12 carries, 65 yds., 0 TD’s

Ervin Jr.- 38 carries, 196 yds., 1 TD 

Neither are game breakers.  Feel bad for the guys, but realistically, shouldn’t be difficult to replace. 

I agree they are not game breakers, but they were the 2 of the 3 best runners behind a shaky offensive line, and that’s the scary part more than anything. They absolutely will be difficult to replace.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 4
1 hour ago, Pote said:

I agree and think it has to be more than a phrase throughout the year.  Football is more than ever about attrition and depth.   Let me make it clear, I am not at all saying injuries ever benefit a team. But the mentality that everyone must prepare themselves as if they are a starter each day, and individual and collective resilience to adversity, is the culture of great teams.  This is a big loss, but having the attitude that they will continue to improve even without them is something that will be needed eventually.  It unfortunately has to start now.