What did we learn Michigan Game

I wasn't pleased by the performance but it was the #2 team and we are on year 1 of new coaches, systems, etc. Big gap between us and Michigan 

Look we aren't the only ones

LSU lost its second game of the season on Saturday night in a 55-49 loss to the Ole Miss Rebels. The Tigers defense gave up 706 total yards of offense to Ole Miss, a record for the Rebels program.

they want to fire Kelly in year 2. It's not just our fanbase. Yes I want to see more progress but beating good teams isn't going to happen yet.  Let's hope they can build to it.  Step back off the cliff for a bit. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

How did that work out for Lance though? Mahomes has arguably the greatest arm talent ever. 

I think we can make a long list of NFL QBs that got drafted and "just needed to improve mechanics" that ended up not being able to do it with all the advantages of the NFL including unlimited coaches and coaching time. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Ratt Mhule said:

Nebraska football is dead. I never thought I would get to the point where I dont watch til the end of the game, let alone an entire half. Donors need to save their money on this ridiculous $450 million stadium project. Its pointless, it means nothing when people wont show up and people need to stop showing up. The program is a money pit. 

We could bring in Kirby Smart and he wouldnt even be able to turn this cancer of a program around. Rhule needs to get out now while he still has some value as a head coach. Time to start trying to find a new team to cheer for because I just cant do it anymore with Nebraska, probably wont be able to find one that I loved more than Nebraska, but I cant do this week after week anymore. It sucks. 

Show-jesus-to-the-world GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I believe people were saying the same thing last year and this year we actually have a former Husker starting for Michigan

Those people were wrong. Trey Palmer and Ernest Hausman would have both started for Michigan. I'm taking about this years team though, which has even less talent in the two deep than last year.

We might have some younger players that have that kind of talent, but they aren't playing for us yet, so we haven't seen it. Hopefully development under Rhule is much better than the past.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Individual drill and development work along these lines does not exist much once you're in the season. Teams will generally spend a few minutes on it in practice just to try and keep players sharp and hopefully get teeny tiny bits of progress but the amount of time and attention that something like this takes just doesn't and can't exist in the middle of the season when you're spending all your time on scouting and install for the next opponent.

While I don’t have access to each days practice plan for NU, each day has a bit more than a few minutes of individual drills if they practice anything like any other team.  The reason……..to make sure technique being worked on isn't lost or small tweaks from film study worked on and to continue muscle memory.  

If you are trying to say that a wholesale change in someone’s throwing motion is not going to happen during the in season individual drill time then you are correct and no one has said otherwise.  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I think we can make a long list of NFL QBs that got drafted and "just needed to improve mechanics" that ended up not being able to do it with all the advantages of the NFL including unlimited coaches and coaching time. 

Along with DB’s, WR’s, Tackles, Guards, Centers, and……with all the advantages of the NFL.   People change and get better or they don’t.   Doesn’t alter the fact that change was needed.  

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I honestly thought Haarberg looked pretty good. Not sure why they never called the designed QB draws for him that had worked so well. There were some big gaps for the taking on those drop backs. 

Seriously. I'm not kidding. HH threw some sharp passes today. Coulda done better with better parts, and maybe more than 40 frikkin offensive plays. 

I agree. I wish we had an OC that was as good as out DC. 

Didn't learn much...going into this season, Michigan was the one game on our schedule we had zero chance of winning...IMO...literally every other game it wouldn't surprise me if we win or lose

I really won't be surprised if we end up 9-3...2-10 or anywhere in between.  We are an enigma...it's best to just accept it 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Didn't learn much...going into this season, Michigan was the one game on our schedule we had zero chance of winning...IMO...literally every other game it wouldn't surprise me if we win or lose

I really won't be surprised if we end up 9-3...2-10 or anywhere in between.  We are an enigma...it's best to just accept it 

I hear you but I'd be flabbergasted if we end up 9-3. That's cause for burning couches in the street.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree that very little in football is true in all cases.  HH is 6’ 5” and has had roughly 10% of his pass attempts batted down at the line of scrimmage so far.  That’s a crazy rate.   The NFL average is like 1.5% I believe.  It’s a problem that needs corrected.  

HH really has no great potential as a QB moving forward as others have noted and previous coaches probably noticed too based on his depth chart positioning so changing mechanics for the better would not be detrimental to his performance going forward.   His current performance as a passer is already subpar. 

I understand what Kyle S is saying but that’s also talking about a 23 yr old NFL drafted player who says “ this motion got me in to the league” vs a 18/19 HS QB playing 4th or 5th string with coaches saying here’s where you need to get better.   So it isn’t apples to apples at all.    It would be similar to saying well the senior in HS is hard to change his motion so we can assume the 8th grader won’t be able to change either.  

Now all that said, if HH arms slot is the only one he can get his limited effectiveness with, then he needs to be taught how to find passing lanes, or pass blocking technique needs to be changed to create throwing lanes for him.  Both of which are possible.  

Or maybe the coaches have said “this is what we got this year and there isn’t much upside to the work it takes to change him so let it ride cause someone else is playing next year anyways”. 

I never said it was apples to apples, I said it was relatable. Objectively speaking, changing a quarterback's mechanics is a challenge. And, it gets more difficult the older a quarterback gets. That's why there's a bigger than ever emphasis these days on private quarterback coaching starting with kids in youth football and early high school so that bad habits aren't developed early and sustained into their mid-to-late teenage years.

So, his situation isn't at all "weird." To your last paragraph, there are any number of logical reasons to explain that we can only speculate about. It's more weird to find it all weird. Perhaps it's like you said and they're just riding it out for this year. Perhaps they tried to change his mechanics and it caused too many issues. Or, perhaps they have been working with him on it and this is the result of those improvements. It's also possible they've busted their a$$ to change it and he just keeps reverting back to bad habits on gameday.

It would be great to get Rhule and/or Satterfield's take on it (unsure if they've been asked about it to this point) but they've also only been able to work with the kid for about 9-10 months now so it's tough to know where they put their efforts/resources during that time.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I never said it was apples to apples, I said it was relatable. Objectively speaking, changing a quarterback's mechanics is a challenge. And, it gets more difficult the older a quarterback gets. That's why there's a bigger than ever emphasis these days on private quarterback coaching starting with kids in youth football and early high school so that bad habits aren't developed early and sustained into their mid-to-late teenage years.

So, his situation isn't at all "weird." To your last paragraph, there are any number of logical reasons to explain that we can only speculate about. It's more weird to find it all weird. Perhaps it's like you said and they're just riding it out for this year. Perhaps they tried to change his mechanics and it caused too many issues. Or, perhaps they have been working with him on it and this is the result of those improvements. It's also possible they've busted their a$$ to change it and he just keeps reverting back to bad habits on gameday.

It would be great to get Rhule and/or Satterfield's take on it (unsure if they've been asked about it to this point) but they've also only been able to work with the kid for about 9-10 months now so it's tough to know where they put their efforts/resources during that time.

It's not hard.  Just depends on how willing a person is to work on their mechanics.  I don't want to hear about natural throwing motion.  Every baby I've ever seen wouldn't start at QB because their motion sucks.  HH unfortunately was probably ruined by old Harry Potter just like the rest of the QBs in the Frost Era.  He just needs to work on keeping his elbow up.  Exaggerate it until it's in between where it is now and the exaggerated spot.  He also needs to work on moving his feet to find a throwing lane so his passes aren't batted down 

• Thanks 1

Sadly, I don’t think we know whether Satterfield believes in a run based offense but I am not encouraged.  

We clearly run better than we throw.  Unfortunately we don’t block well enough to do either very well. Despite the score we did move the ball a little at times. I’m just disappointed we can’t run the traditional type option plays.  The passing and other runs will open up a little if they respect the outside running threat.  

As the game wore on, MI didn’t defend well. 
But we need to keep trying to build on the first three games. Forget Michigan. We had NO CHANCE Saturday. It looked ugly. Maybe worse than it was but this was a totally one-sided affair.  Their defense owned us up front.  On defense, their offense executed play after play to perfection.  

One of the better games, execution-wise, I have ever seen. 

We are FAR from a top 20 team but we are improving in fundamentals all over, except O line imo.   We need better line play and more play action.  Stay with 2 backs or 2 TEs. We can’t pull or execute complex blocking methods. O line are too slow. Imo. 

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

It's not hard.  Just depends on how willing a person is to work on their mechanics.  I don't want to hear about natural throwing motion.  Every baby I've ever seen wouldn't start at QB because their motion sucks.  HH unfortunately was probably ruined by old Harry Potter just like the rest of the QBs in the Frost Era.  He just needs to work on keeping his elbow up.  Exaggerate it until it's in between where it is now and the exaggerated spot.  He also needs to work on moving his feet to find a throwing lane so his passes aren't batted down 

Well stated.  It’s one of two scenarios and both certainly would be weird.  

Either his HS coach, Scott Frost, Harry Potter dude, Whipple, and now Rhule/Satterfield said things are fine, he’s good with the side arm action as 6’5” QB or they tried to get him to change and HH either can’t or won’t.   10% batted down rate is beyond terrible which is where HH is sitting at now.  

• Plus1 1