Potential Assistant coach change(s)

25 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

If it is Christensen it also a huge recruiting tool. The guy is personal QB coach for Mahomes who is the darling QB of the NFL right now, not to mention he works with other NFL QBs and several high caliber college guys. It is a great sell "come work with the guy who made Mahomes, Ewers, etc., etc." It would attract high quality talent to Nebraska, and could make the program one that consistently puts guys in the league

Seems like a great long term investment.  Paying each QB, competing on the open NIL market for the highest offer seems to be an endless treadmill vs being able to offer the best coach as a pathway to the NFL combined with reasonable NIL

OK...here's a wild card in this.  Let's say the grand scheme is go get rid of Barthel and hire Christensen.  Sooo....next week get rid of Barthel, but don't hire Christensen till right before fall camp.

That way, he can work all summer with these guys as much as he wants without having to deal with NCAA regulations.  Then, he comes in in the fall with them ready to hit the ground running...er....passing.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Here is the all kool aid :koolaid2: path to the NC:

Add up the pieces:

Uncle Raiola  gets a huge wage increase this week

+

QB guru Christensen potentially the new QB coach

+

McCord signs (potentially) and plays 1 year - allowing DR to redshirt 

+

DR coming for an official visit

DYLAN RAIOLA IS N

=

National Championship in 3 years 

A guy can dream still....:bigredn:       No bubble bursting allowed until it actually bursts.   This is our post season bowl game. 

Hey with the playoffs going to 16 I think just making the playoffs in the next 3 seasons would be huge. Im thinking ranked by the end of next year and then playoffs year 3. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...here's a wild card in this.  Let's say the grand scheme is go get rid of Barthel and hire Christensen.  Sooo....next week get rid of Barthel, but don't hire Christensen till right before fall camp.

That way, he can work all summer with these guys as much as he wants without having to deal with NCAA regulations.  Then, he comes in in the fall with them ready to hit the ground running...er....passing.

I don't get it why are people mentioning Barthel's name??  What's going with him??  I think Nebraska is trying to bring in Trevor Etienne so getting rid of him doesn't make sense to me at this moment.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I don't get it why are people mentioning Barthel's name??  What's going with him??  I think Nebraska is trying to bring in Trevor Etienne so getting rid of him doesn't make sense to me at this moment.

I have no clue who is going to go.  I just used his name because others threw it out there.  Put in whatever name is appropriate.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or he gets some kind of job “managing” a Runza for $300K a year and sets up a QB camp “on the side” out at Speedway.

17 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Or he gets some kind of job “managing” a Runza for $300K a year and sets up a QB camp “on the side” out at Speedway.

I’m having trouble believing that the full time QB coaching gig at DONU can compete monetarily with being a private coach for the likes of Mahomes. Seems like he would need a whole bunch of leeway with his time commitment to NU and that might not be too great. 

Look at me go. We don’t even have McCord or Raiola signed yet and concerned about the availability of a coach who also hasn’t signed up :lol: 
#peakoffseason

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m having trouble believing that the full time QB coaching gig at DONU can compete monetarily with being a private coach for the likes of Mahomes. Seems like he would need a whole bunch of leeway with his time commitment to NU and that might not be too great. 

Look at me go. We don’t even have McCord or Raiola signed yet and concerned about the availability of a coach who also hasn’t signed up :lol: 
#peakoffseason

I hesitate to feed into all this speculation, but I seriously doubt a trainer makes anything close to an assistant coach these days.  Kieth Williams managed to continue training the likes of Tyreke Hill while he was a position coach at NU and Pep Hamilton did the same across his various coaching gigs.  

7 minutes ago, JoeHuskers! said:

I haven't looked through every post... but what about bumping the guy at TE back to being an analyst and Satt drop QB and add TE... then we would have an open spot for a QB coach

That seems like the most likely scenario to me. Maybe Barthel is gone too, but I bet we'd hire a direct replacement there. I think a dedicated RB coach is more important than having dedicated TE and QB coaches. Any of those positions could go with the OC, but OC/RB and specific TE and QB coaches would be pretty unique from what I've seen. 

• Plus1 1