Potential Assistant coach change(s)

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Admittedly, my confidence isn't exactly high with the offensive staff, but it's difficult to know what to think when they lose their two top running backs, two projected starting WR's before the season starts, and their starting QB to "injury." They had to weather some challenges the defense frankly didn't have to. I also thought before the season that there were more questions/concerns offensively than defensively, and that has held true up to this point.

It's a bit of a dumpster fire right now but I also don't know what more to expect based on the current talent/depth situation. I do however feel quite confident at the moment that we're not going to see an overhaul after this season. I just don't get the vibe that Rhule would put this on his coaches when the talent frankly isn't that good, not to mention the fact that the lack of discipline, OL blocking issues and fumbling have been a problem over multiple staff changes. Just sort of my gut feeling at the moment. bu

I hear you.  Yes, I can't put it all on the staff - there is a culture of losing that has to be corrected and a part of that culture includes the undisciplined play - which is mostly showing up on the O side.  I think Sims was not the correct choice for a portal QB but I'm not the coach trying to figure it all out.  I agree with you that Rhule will probably have no other choise but to go hard on the portal and do a major overhaul.  The meatgrinder Big 10 schedule will force him to 'speed up his development'.  College football has become a 'now' situation and patience in a slow build is not seen as a virtue any longer.  I think if anything Riola needs the leave.  While there has been a little improvement in the OL, we are far from dominating other teams and their defenses. 

• Plus1 1

Unless someone leaves of his own free will for a better opportunity, I don't think anyone should be pushed out. All things considered, it hasn't been perfect, but it has been much better than the last 5 years and overall I'm liking the direction of the program. Hopefully Rhule and staff continue to build on it.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Here is a really good article breaking down the mid season grades of the staff.  Goes into detail as to what the grades mean and also takes into account the injuries/development/improvement etc...Some of the grades/concerns line up with some of the comments.

McGuire, Raiola and Satt get the lowest marks.  Satt dinged on QB play.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-2023-midterm-grades-for-husker-football-coaches

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, maybe a healthy raise keeps him around a bit longer but he will get an opportunity somewhere soon, much like Ryan Walters did.

The wrong coordinator obtained the highest salary under Rhule.  White has more than earned his salary.  I'm very pleased by the change we see in the D.  Under Frost, we would have lost that Ill game as the D would not have had that 'fight' in them.  If somehow the O can develop the same mentality, then we'll have a team.  GBR. 

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, maybe a healthy raise keeps him around a bit longer but he will get an opportunity somewhere soon, much like Ryan Walters did.

I remember when Chinander started off better than everyone was expecting but we all know how that one turned out.  Sorry but definitely gonna hold my horses on White as well.  

11 hours ago, lo country said:

Here is a really good article breaking down the mid season grades of the staff.  Goes into detail as to what the grades mean and also takes into account the injuries/development/improvement etc...Some of the grades/concerns line up with some of the comments.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/dave-feit-2023-midterm-grades-for-husker-football-coaches

That's a pretty unfair assessment of McGuire considering his room has been ravaged by injuries and a fall camp transfer. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
12 hours ago, lo country said:

I think these are nonsense in general.  Full disclosure, I didn't even read it.

I bet the grades are a lot better of 3-5 plays go differently this season.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think these are nonsense in general.  Full disclosure, I didn't even read it.

I bet the grades are a lot better of 3-5 plays go differently this season.

It was basically a grading of coaches performance of “Offense BAD, Defense GOOD, Head Coach combined to be average”. 

I think the better way to judge is by position group performance, but not coaching performance. Not sure how coaches can be evaluated given the different circumstances of available talent, injuries, and other factors. 

• TBH 1