Illinois - What Did We Learn

Our coaches absolutely have to dig deep to eliminate the false starts. Figure out where the root cause is, whatever it might be.

I will say, Satterfield dialed up the jet sweep to Kemp on a couple plays where we needed it so badly. There's good stuff happening, but we still look like we're playing so scared to fail on offense.

Scattered thoughts here obviously...but again, just so criminal to not get the ball to Fidone more. The guy is truly a freak of nature out there. His ceiling is extremely high.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Our coaches absolutely have to dig deep to eliminate the false starts. Figure out where the root cause is, whatever it might be.

I will say, Satterfield dialed up the jet sweep to Kemp on a couple plays where we needed it so badly. There's good stuff happening, but we still look like we're playing so scared to fail on offense.

Scattered thoughts here obviously...but again, just so criminal to not get the ball to Fidone more. The guy is truly a freak of nature out there. His ceiling is extremely high.

Listen to what Rhule said about the Illinois players yelling the same calls we use for the O linemen and causing them to lift up to hear the new call. Thats what he was talking to the refs about in the 4th qtr. Not saying our O line are world beaters but this isn't all on them.

• Plus1 8

22 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Listen to what Rhule said about the Illinois players yelling the same calls we use for the O linemen and causing them to lift up to hear the new call. Thats what he was talking to the refs about in the 4th qtr. Not saying our O line are world beaters but this isn't all on them.

Yes these are the type of games where you learn how to win which are huge. We are as a fan base going to get to see how a real rebuild looks

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 3

Numerous times tonight we were in short second down which is a perfect time to take shot on their defense (some of those times we were even in the IL territory)…Instead, the coaches chose not take a shot, which really hamstrung HH. If Sims were in, I feel as though they would have taken the kill shot. It feels like they are really trying to make HH prove he should be starter. If Sims is in, I feel they would have taken the shots to prove they were “right”. Hope I’m wrong but don’t want the coaches’ ego to  interfere with offensive aggressiveness. HH passes weren’t any worse or better from what I’ve seen from Sims…except for HH has less turnovers which is the most crucial aspect of the game from a QB standpoint. And before I get the comment that some passes should have been picked off, guess what they weren’t so that commentary sucks. Also, I don’t live in Nebraska nor did I watch HH in high school so there is no bias in that respect. 

I'm shocked at the people wanting sims to play. there's a 4 year track record of him sucking. Haarberg is winning games even with half the offense injured. 

need to get a legitimate wide receiver and running back in the portal and this offense could look a whole lot better next year.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 6

5 hours ago, Undone said:

I was never sold on the Satt hire and the offense is pretty painful to watch right now but I’m actually going to give him some credit. The fact is we do not have the players to run the offense he wants to run. To his credit I think he is trying to find plays to use the personnel he has now even though that style of football is not his forte. In addition, there have been some nice play calls ruined by bad execution on the players part. I know “execution” is a tired old trope but I also think it’s true in this case. As far as the two minute drill at the end of the half, I have no problem being aggressive there. At some point, if you are going to be in the position to need to move down the field quickly. No issue with trying for points there

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

Nebraska deserves this bye week. 

3-3 

might not have been pretty, but they got the win.  Nebraska could have easily folded near the end but they held it together. 

Also very cool to see a fired up Coach throughout the game.  He saw the holding like we all did, and kept after the QB and others in making the right decision in plays. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1