Year One Success

2 hours ago, McGuillotine said:

Some of thos names you suggest purging are insanity

Give me some examples.  Tell me who we need to have back from the list I suggested.  And then I can respond to your thoughts too.  Wouldn't that be the nicer thing to do?

It's not like I am saying that I don't like these guys.  I appreciate their dedication and commitment, and efforts for all these years and years.

I am just saying I would like to turn the page with these guys and move forward.  They have had ample of game days, starts, opportunities, and several years of college football.  That doesn't mean they should return for one more year of the same ol' same ol'....    

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He also might want to see who can actually come back for another season. 

He did.  He also noticed they have had 4 years of college football after this year, and some will have 5 or 6.  :) 

I know some are eligible to return for one more year.  But also, I am pretty sure I have seen all that I need to see from them and wish them well outside of college football. 

So it's natural to pick a final record and say that "8-4" or "9-3" or "7-5" or <_fill_in_the_blank> is what constitutes year one success. Everybody's going to have different opinions on what record defines year one success.

I think that I'd want to look at success also as fixing the stuff the guy before him did/didn't do, at least somewhat independent of the final record. So for me that's:

• Not honing in on defense
  • Basically neglecting special teams
  • Not practicing in such a way that we become more physical and game-ready

That third one is huge, but Frost also screwed the pooch on the first two. There are 6 more games to play and I don't really know how to predict how many of the back half we'll win.

But for me Rhule has already shown that he actually knows how to fix those 3 things above. And that's huge.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

How are you evaluating the position coaches? I understand that the “easy” way for people to think they can do it is production of that position group. I would argue that no layperson can evaluate the effectiveness of a position coach. 

Also, has anyone actually looked at our WR corps? Of the experienced guys, Washington was hurt all of camp and is now hurt again, IGC blew out his knee at the start of the season, and Fleeks got sent home the first day of fall camp and is now at RB. Betts was our most talented receiver and he left in the middle of fall camp.

I know people are frustrated Coleman isn't more involved, but the only WR ranked ahead of him that is doing much is Zachariah Branch. Obviously some of their lack of production has to do with actually having talented players ahead of them, but I don't think that's all of it. They also have competent passing games when they do see the field. I've got no issue with McGuire so far, he's down to 1 of the expected top 5 WR coming into the year and while I love me some Haarberg we're not putting up video game numbers throwing the ball. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

I don't have much of an issue with McGuire, either. He also seems to have done decently well on the recruiting trail so far with the commitments from Isaiah McMorris, Jacory Barney and Dae'vonn Hall (assuming they haven't decommited).

It's really tough to know what to think of that position group given the turnover they've had alongside the offensive line/QB challenges. It's all just a bit of a hodgepodge, Frankenstein effort right now.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 4
16 hours ago, TGHusker said:

It is frustrating seeing basketball schools Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky as well as perennial under achiever Oregon State in the top  25.  Glad for them but hard seeing our Huskers still trying to figure out how to climb out of the bottom of our division.  Man HCSF really screwed us up.  I think Rhule is the right guy but the slow build may have to become a fast build in order to compete in the Big 10 much less making the playoffs.  

It took Jonathan Smith 4 years at Oregon State before he got them over .500 and even then, year 4 for them was 7-6

Leipold is in year 3 at Kansas and his first 2 years they went 2-10 and 6-7 (with a bowl game)

Stoops' first 5 years at Kentucky were 2-10, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 7-6. He broke through to 10-3 in year 6.

Mike Elko is definitely the outlier here going 9-4 his first year at Duke and he has them off to a 4-1 start. I'd argue the biggest driver in his early success is due to Riley Leonard balling out at QB. Leonard suffered a high ankle sprain against ND and is out for a while so I guess we'll see what their season looks like.

My point is, I totally get your frustration but outside of Elko, it took all these teams a few years to get cranked up. The quickest way to do that is nail the QB spot and we all agree that the QB play has been pretty hit or miss this year. Keep the faith!

• Plus1 6

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't have much of an issue with McGuire, either. He also seems to have done decently well on the recruiting trail so far with the commitments from Isaiah McMorris, Jacory Barney and Dae'vonn Hall (assuming they haven't decommited).

It's really tough to know what to think of that position group given the turnover they've had alongside the offensive line/QB challenges. It's all just a bit of a hodgepodge, Frankenstein effort right now.

At this point, the (scholarship) WR room next year will be one senior (IGC), six second-year players and six true freshmen.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It comes down to the QB position. I legit can’t remember the last QB that I felt confident in who wouldn’t/couldn’t lose the game on his own. T-Marts freshman year maybe (was electric)? We’ve had some poor QB play for the better part of two decades. 

Prospective starting QBs (recruiting prospects), the smart ones, the good ones, look at film and watch the O-Line.  We need an Eric Crouch or Tommy Frazier or at least an Adrian Martinez, and those types are probably not going to be impressed with our current situation there as they watch tape.  IMO.

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It comes down to the QB position. I legit can’t remember the last QB that I felt confident in who wouldn’t/couldn’t lose the game on his own. T-Marts freshman year maybe (was electric)? We’ve had some poor QB play for the better part of two decades. 

People forget how good TMart was his junior year in 2012.  He was the 1st team all B1G QB over Braxton Miller.

• TBH 6
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

People forget how good TMart was his junior year in 2012.  He was the 1st team all B1G QB over Braxton Miller.

Yep. I think he went to Brady's QB coach's camp in the offseason before that year and he said he had a completion % goal of 70%. He didn't get there, but he threw for 37% more yards than in his sophomore season, had the most rushing yards of any of his years, and had 3,890 total yards.

• Plus1 3