2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wisconsin got its QB.

They did take 3 QBs out of the portal last year.  Mordecai graduated.  Assume they will lose at least 1 of their 2 young guys they took last year (Locke from Miss St, Evers from OU) who will both be Sophs this coming fall.

By all accounts Evers has been a pretty big disappointment, but guys are hesitant to transfer twice as undergrads and there is definitely still time. I think the coaches would like one of Locke or Evers to transfer but I'm not sure they will. At some point kids will realize sitting out a year at their new school is better than playing scout team at their old school though, and the multiple time transfers will pick back up to some degree.

There is an interesting parallel with us and Wisconsin at the QB position. Both teams had to rely on their QBs legs more than expected - we knew it was going to be part of our offense, but not to the degree it was. And now there are decent chunks of each fanbase insisting they need that mobility because it was one of the few bright spots on bad offenses. McCord and Van Dyke do not provide that, and that is worrying for some, although they do better fit what Satterfield and Longo want their offenses to be. 

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

By all accounts Evers has been a pretty big disappointment, but guys are hesitant to transfer twice as undergrads and there is definitely still time. I think the coaches would like one of Locke or Evers to transfer but I'm not sure they will. At some point kids will realize sitting out a year at their new school is better than playing scout team at their old school though, and the multiple time transfers will pick back up to some degree.

There is an interesting parallel with us and Wisconsin at the QB position. Both teams had to rely on their QBs legs more than expected - we knew it was going to be part of our offense, but not to the degree it was. And now there are decent chunks of each fanbase insisting they need that mobility because it was one of the few bright spots on bad offenses. McCord and Van Dyke do not provide that, and that is worrying for some, although they do better fit what Satterfield and Longo want their offenses to be. 

There is no 2nd transfer however.  The only time a player can do a 2nd transfer is with a coaching change or Graduate transfer.  The hard luck cases have been shot down quite a bit recently. (see TE from Georgia that came here last year)

On 12/10/2023 at 12:58 AM, Huskerfollower4life said:

Haarberg should be moved to tight end bc he needs a proper qb coach to fix his throwing mechanics and their is a ton of work that needs to happen in order to get there. 

I dont think he's a QB. I've never thought he was a QB. In the spring I commented on him potentially being a Wildcat guy because Satterfield and Rhule have a past history of doing that. In reality, it was also because I just didn't think he should be an every down QB.

I like him a lot. Great person, great competitor and a good athlete. I think he's a guy that can help the team elsewhere and maybe if he doesn't do it via switching positions it could still be as a Wildcat. The rumored incoming QB options aren't exactly mobile. Haarberg can put his head down in tough situations to get yards and throws a decent deep ball when they cheat on that.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't get this- QB - great, a postion of need. WR- great, also a position of need. RB???- I think we have a strong group. What's missing? The MOST IMPORTANT PIECES!!! Where are the 5 star Olinemen transfers that will make it possible for the skill players to do their thing? McCord and Riola, Etienne, etc can't do crap if they don't have protection/ holes or get injurred because of our Swiss cheese oline. Bring in the big uglies dang it.

Honestly this is a tired and lazy take at this point. The O line showed significant improvement throughout the year, and there is enough talent/development that I'm not too concerned. You're not the 2nd best rushing team in the B1G and 3rd best in the future conference with a s#!tty line.

I do think the RB room was very lacking after our 1st and 2nd stringers went down, and not knowing if they will come back 100% is concerning. We have athletic and strong guys in the backfield but they all lack vision. There were so many missed cut backs this year that it made my head spin. We needed somebody with the vision of an Ameer or Rex (not even the athletic ability) and we'd be bowling this year even with the QB situation.