Fire Satterfield

Decked

48 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I know most of our injuries are just horrendous luck but past few weeks I’ve been wondering if the offensive injuries are a by product of us hitting hard in practice.

don’t get me wrong, the physicality of practice has shown up from week 1 with how sound this team has been at tackling (most weeks). But been wondering if part of our injury bug is due to our guys just taking shots consistently from our defense 

If that is the case I’ll still take it.  It sucks to lose but I hope we never go back to get physically dominated in every aspect of the game.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

For me, personally, the issue is he is the QB coach.  He's been dealt a crappy hand with the TO's following Sims, HH getting bit by the same bug and injuries.  But even with the TO's still had them throwing downfield to open DB's like punters shagging a punt.  They never improved in any of that.  The first 2 series last night were great.  And then Wisky adjusted after the 1st and we got 3 points in the remaining 3 quarters.  Once he gets behind the sticks, he doesn't seem to know what to do.  The option play has been bad with HH and Chubba.  I am a fan of it, but not the way we "try" to run it.  

With the O struggling Satt is an easy target.  But at the end of the day he is the OC and the O is struggling.  

HH wasn’t ‘bit by a bug’. That’s who he is. I’m not a QB coach but I still know missing high over the middle is a mortal sin. 

3 of the 5 times we ended up punting there was a dead ball foul that created long distance downs. Was it that Wisky adjusted or that our penalties made 3rd down less manageable? We missed a 42 yard fg and failed to convert on 4th and 1 on Wisky’s 33. 

3 hours ago, KCBuc said:

So your plan is to try not to put any foundational pieces down until you get the talent? How does that work in recruiting? I think you start working toward your identity like the defense did this year. Start putting your stamp on the team. Once you get the players, you’ll learn Shatterfield sucks like he has everywhere else. It would be nice to know what the staff wants to be in 3 years other than turnover free. 

Ya...  that's it...   :facepalm: :unsure:<_<     We all know how to play chess but if someone comes and removes your queen, bishops and a rook....  ya kind of can't play the way ya planned, let alone explain your "identity".....

• Plus1 1

I’m going to keep preaching it. Our OL and defense has to be our identity. This must be the foundation.  I give credit for the defense making progress. We legitimately can recruit kids to come be a Blackshirt, that is a culture and identity that ballers can come play for.  This was woefully lacking in the Riley and Frost years. 

I don’t like our OL. It really has established nothing IMO. We don’t put guys in the league and other teams in our geography have taken OL mojo from what used to be a source of pride for us. If frankly pisses me off. We need to develop the OL and get an identity and culture to build upon. Reward White for progress, show Raiola the door. Results matter and we don’t have 3 years to improve incrementally as we are going to get killed in the new BIG if we don’t wake up.

Teams that have flashy skill guys are fun to watch but without defenses and winning the LOS you never reach potential as a team. Many fell for this initially with Riley (Calibraska) and Frost (he got AM and Wandale)…both coaches were disastrous. I’d argue Michigan prior to Harbaugh had this same problem.  Lincoln Riley has had great skill guys and Heisman winners but no defenses at OU and now USC. His star is fading. 

It’s trench warfare.  Once you establish the LOS pipeline depth, watch the gravy train of skill guys that want to play for those programs.

SmashRaid or bust.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I don't know who is responsible for our end of game management on offense but they honestly deserve an F for this season.  Like yesterday against Wisconsin, why didn't we try for the win?  In OT a lot of times it comes down to kickers and that's asking a lot of a freshman, regardless of how good he is.  And last week was the opposite, no time left so just take the 3 points, instead of we turn it over again. It's like we see the situation, and do the opposite of what you should do.  Maybe they should listen to George Costanza:

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

I’m going to keep preaching it. Our OL and defense has to be our identity. This must be the foundation.  I give credit for the defense making progress. We legitimately can recruit kids to come be a Blackshirt, that is a culture and identity that ballers can come play for.  This was woefully lacking in the Riley and Frost years. 

I don’t like our OL. It really has established nothing IMO. We don’t put guys in the league and other teams in our geography have taken OL mojo from what used to be a source of pride for us. If frankly pisses me off. We need to develop the OL and get an identity and culture to build upon. Reward White for progress, show Raiola the door. Results matter and we don’t have 3 years to improve incrementally as we are going to get killed in the new BIG if we don’t wake up.

Teams that have flashy skill guys are fun to watch but without defenses and winning the LOS you never reach potential as a team. Many fell for this initially with Riley (Calibraska) and Frost (he got AM and Wandale)…both coaches were disastrous. I’d argue Michigan prior to Harbaugh had this same problem.  Lincoln Riley has had great skill guys and Heisman winners but no defenses at OU and now USC. His star is fading. 

It’s trench warfare.  Once you establish the LOS pipeline depth, watch the gravy train of skill guys that want to play for those programs.

SmashRaid or bust.

I think it also bears out how those flashy Oregon speed and tempo teams under Chip Kelly ran into big physical SEC DL and were stopped.

59 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

SmashRaid or bust.

I agree with your post.  The pipeline and Blackshirts are what NU was known for.  The B1G, and even with the addition of the PAC teams, will be won or lost banging in the trenches.  

Unsure who coined "smash raid" last night in the games thread (if it was you Kudos), but even this "run the damn ball guy" can get behind it.  Unsure if Wisky figured us out (adjusted) after the 1st or we went away from it, but those first few series looked good.  If we could build around the quick passes, the misdirection and PA with power running (would love some actual 2 back sets (EJ and insert other RB here) we migth be on to something.  Learn from last nights miscues and move on.  Bring the smash raid to Iowa and go bowling.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree with your post.  The pipeline and Blackshirts are what NU was known for.  The B1G, and even with the addition of the PAC teams, will be won or lost banging in the trenches.  

Unsure who coined "smash raid" last night in the games thread (if it was you Kudos), but even this "run the damn ball guy" can get behind it.  Unsure if Wisky figured us out (adjusted) after the 1st or we went away from it, but those first few series looked good.  If we could build around the quick passes, the misdirection and PA with power running (would love some actual 2 back sets (EJ and insert other RB here) we migth be on to something.  Learn from last nights miscues and move on.  Bring the smash raid to Iowa and go bowling.

@HuskerInLostWages gets credit for “SmashRaid” on the game thread last night. It perfectly describes what our Husker offense needs to be. Someone make a SmashRaid smock for Rhule and let’s go bowling!

22 hours ago, lo country said:

Chadwell has had multiple years of winning at that level. Much better coach than Frost IMHO.  Chadwell has really developed that scheme.  Don't want to say invented, but is an originator in it.    I wanted him as HC a few years ago.  Wanted him when Frost was fired.  Undefeated at Liberty this year.  Has been ranked more years as a HC than Nebraska has since since Pelini was fired.  I'd take him in a heart beat.  Maybe Korn is just as sharp, maybe not, but I'd give it a shot.

A winner is a winner.