Huskers Hire Glenn Thomas as Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

19 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Sherrone Moore won a title and is the OL coach and OC.  Are you mad out OC isn’t a QB coach?

You may have missed my posts.  I think Satt should be removed altogether as many on this board wants him "developed," but this obvious sign of non-trust to remove Satt from influencing the most important position on the team, and still keep him as an OC, is mind boggling.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

You may have missed my posts.  I think Satt should be removed altogether as many on this board wants him "developed," but this obvious sign of non-trust to remove Satt from influencing the most important position on the team, and still keep him as an OC, is mind boggling.

Got to agree.  Unsure the reason for Co-OC.  And the B1G or FBS in general isn't where you need to "develop" an OC.  So far Rhule is making the right moves.  I trust there is a method to his madness.

So how does that work practically?  Take turns being the guy to call plays and do strategy?  I know that isn’t the way it works but seems pretty awkward if both guys are not on the same page in every way on how to move forward on O. 
Maybe this is temporary until Sat finds a new gig. Seems like a big demotion to me. 

At the end of the day I don't think I'd put much thought into this job title. It's not an atypical setup for Rhule. Unless Rhule announces differently, expect Satterfield to remain the primary play caller.

What this does do, though, is bring a much needed veteran into the offensive staff because overall it's a very young and inexperienced gameday coaching staff. At the end of the day, Rhule is the final arbiter and he has a certain philosophy. That manifests itself differently at different stops. At Temple it was a bit more run centric, at Baylor a bit more pass centric, but there is a common philosphy in terms of how he wants to manage the game at both places and Glenn experienced that with him at both places. With Raiola coming in as almost certain starter, we are going to see that transition immediately and for the same reason we did between Temple and Baylor....the athletes changed.

It was the expected hire and a good hire. If the offense doesn't see some significant improvement after all of this investment this year, then I'd expect some major changes.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3
11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So how does that work practically?  Take turns being the guy to call plays and do strategy?  I know that isn’t the way it works but seems pretty awkward if both guys are not on the same page in every way on how to move forward on O. 
Maybe this is temporary until Sat finds a new gig. Seems like a big demotion to me. 

I think I'd feel the same tbh. Not like Rhule started with Co-OC's.  I'd be miffed if I was the OC and then another guys gets hired to also do "my job".  Maybe one will be passing coordinator and one will be run game coordinator.  Try to "divide and conquer" working on the skill positions.  Too lazy to look, but has Rhule ever used Co-OC's?

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I'd be much more secure in my position as a "co" by being the one hired to develop the highest rated recruit in NU history.

The other guy gets to help Fidone on when to do the "hush" after a TD.  Hint, it's not to the home crowd.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I think its mind boggling that some cant see that there is a difference between coaching QB's and overseeing an offense as well as the benefit of having continuity in that group as a whole..  those that want to out an OC after a first yr start up with all the issues that were faced,  boggle my mind...  maybe Satt is over his head and maybe Rhule is setting the table for that scenario, only TIME will tell...  That is the difference between a good head coach and a knee jerk reaction.. 

• Plus1 5

Even if Satterfield isn't actually a bad coach, there's been enough smoke around the topic even outside of the our bubble of the program to where it can send a message to recruits that this isn't the place to be.

Obviously it wasn't a problem for landing Raiola, and just bringing him in would have done/will do wonders for offensive recruiting, even if Thomas didn't come to Lincoln.

But Thomas' hiring makes it pretty obvious that Rhule didn't exactly love what he saw last season on offense (outside of the biggest obvious problem of turnovers).

23 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

How did Glenn Thomas offense fair at Arizona State? I ask bc I know Herm Edward's got fired but was the offense the problem or something else (NCAA violations, defense)?

The team was really hamstrung with terrible QB play. They rolled out Emory Jones (Florida transfer) before making the switch to Bourguet who is a local Arizona kid. Bourguet had a couple of nice games but he's the epitome of a solid backup/low end starter. They wisely leaned on Valladay quite a bit who was a 1000 yard rusher at Wyoming and had a nice season for Arizona State. They were a pretty bad team in 2022, they could sneak up on you at home (I remember they beat Washington in a higher scoring game in Tempe) but if you didn't overlook them, you most likely won by 2 TDs+

37 minutes ago, Undone said:

Even if Satterfield isn't actually a bad coach, there's been enough smoke around the topic even outside of the our bubble of the program to where it can send a message to recruits that this isn't the place to be.

Obviously it wasn't a problem for landing Raiola, and just bringing him in would have done/will do wonders for offensive recruiting, even if Thomas didn't come to Lincoln.

But Thomas' hiring makes it pretty obvious that Rhule didn't exactly love what he saw last season on offense (outside of the biggest obvious problem of turnovers).

I read somewhere that Rhule wanted a designated QB coach last year, but the guy they wanted turned him down. (guy from 49ers?) Satt was always supposed to be OC and TE coach but, he was thrown into being QB coach because of this.

So, now, the staff is more in line with what Rhule originally wanted.  I'm not sure all of this is because Rhule was unhappy with what the offense looked like last year.  It might be more of what his long term goal has always been.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3