****Fall Camp Twitter Thread**** aka the RG44 love fest

Geez, come on guys. How did the thread turn into a jr. high locker room?

On topic now: During the 90's run, I worked in Omaha radio, at Journal. I used to encounter some of the team at different promotional events and other things we did for interviews or broadcasts. The nutritionist's video just shocked back into my memory how BIG these guys are and were. I recall standing next to the Peter brothers, Wistrom, Zatechka, and others, and just feeling tiny. I was 5'11, but not built or heavy. Those guys were huge.

And it's nice to be reminded, when seeing Spence standing with the nutritionist, about just how big these guys are. I have been reading Paul Koch's new books about that period. There is a LOT of background on the nutrition programs and the pioneering work NU put into operation regarding nutrition.

The oddest thing, to me, was learning there are STILL some major colleges, and even NFL teams, that have NO nutrition staff at all. Seems like a no-brainer these days.

@swmckewonOWH

DBs: Joseph only naming C. Evans as likely starter. 4 still in mix at S. 5 still in mix at CB. #huskers

@swmckewonOWH

ST: Els said K battle still close b/w Bondi/Smith. Maybe 1 barely ahead. Not saying who. Foltz at P, Turner edge at PR, host of guys at KR.

@swmckewonOWH

DC JP said 4 D frosh most likely to play: Banderas, Collins, Gerry, Maurice. Rest TBD.

@HuskerExtraSip

Papuchis on Maurice: "Kevin, I think, is a little ahead of even some of the more experienced guys in how he plays the run." #Huskers

I'm now officially intrigued to see Kevin Maurice. I really liked his film last year, but thought he'd be a few years away from seeing too much playing time. Maurice, Collins, Valentine, and Curry look to be our go-to-guys for the next 3-4 years

• Fire 1
Defensive coordinator John Papuchis reiterated the defense’s need to play a number of guys — young, old, whatever — early in the season. This echoes Bo Pelini’s quote from last week. As my Monday Rewind column argued, this is very encouraging.

“It’s discipline on our part as much as anything else, because if things are going well, sometimes you have a tendency to lean toward the guys who are in the game,” Papuchis said. “Bottom line is: We gotta find out more about our guys in game situations. We don’t have the benefit of preseason. I want to play a lot of guys. We gotta track how many reps those guys are getting and make sure we get a thorough gameday evaluation.”

If Papuchis is behind Pelini being more open-minded on this issue, kudos. Nebraska’s relied on that core bunch too often in 2011 and 2012.

OWH Article