Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

In late on the drama. I was thinking about staff changes this week for sure, but was still in full support for Bo. Now I'm even more in support of him, and I think his players are going to play their hearts out , as they love the man, for the rest of the season. We will see T-Mart really step it up as Bo is a father figure to him. We win 10 again, and this scum who released this will not succeed in his attempt to get Bo fired. GBR

The part that struck me was how he was so willing to up and abandon his team because <1% of Husker Nation left a game early.

Then some of those same guys come out in support for him apparently blind to the fact they're simply being used as a stepping stone in his career. Which I'm sure is pretty common in college football, but once that info is out in the open . . . awkward.

• Fire 1

What a shame. For me and those that live outside of Nebraska, that root and support the Huskers nationwide, man this is not good. It's extremely difficult to stand up for him and his words when people are mocking and laughing at us and our Coach. It's hard to defend this. Either get in a fist fight or just take it on the chin while others laugh. Dammit Bo.

Sorry I live outside the Husker nationwide, and I have not problems with this. after being on this bbs for some time, he's correct. we do have some f'ing retarded fans.

He's correct? He is including all of us bud. His words, not mine. Bo Pelini: "It took everything in my power to not say, 'F You, fans. F all of you.' F 'em."

The part that struck me was how he was so willing to up and abandon his team because <1% of Husker Nation left a game early.

I think that's a lot of boiled over tensions with the administration, stemming back to 2010. Not only did Bo feel the fanbase didn't support him, he felt the administration was at his throat, which to an extent they were. Although it was also, arguably, not undeserved.

Hopefully (and I do think this is true) Bo's come a long way since his "Oh yeah, you'll miss me when I'm gone, MOM" days.

I've worked in retail and in customer service jobs. I guarantee you if I ever said anything like this to a customer, I'd have been fired on the spot. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Of course, there are people who would have deserved it. There were people who said those things, and worse, to me, to my face, without reprisal. I'd smile, suck it up, then go home, and curse them under my breath in the comfort of my own home. Did I like it? Not on your life.

Anyone who deals with the media, particularly in a results-based profession like this, probably has to put up with the same. Yes, it's a terrible double standard. The old "customer is always right" cliche could apply here, I guess.... "the fans are always right"... even when they really aren't. Obviously Bo struggles with this, as anyone who isn't completely soulless or sociopathic would.

So in my own funny way I can relate to him, because I have been in positions where I received such wrath from complete strangers on a constant basis.... often for things that weren't my fault and were out of my control.

I don't think Bo will be fired for this alone, and he probably shouldn't be. But it doesn't help when you are losing.

Pelini's act never rubbed anyone the wrong way when we looked like we were on the up and up. Now that the team seems to be plummeting to the same dismal levels they were before the man was hired, suddenly the antics are wearing thing on everybody.

The only way this goes away completely is if Nebraska starts winning, and winning significantly. I don't see that happening, unfortunately.

Wow. This just gives major ammo to firing Bo at season's end. With one or two more blowout losses, this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The strange thing is that if this intensity and nastiness translated to the team we field, I think we'd all mostly embrace it. This is coming from someone who the fanbase has supported and hoped could succeed...its stupid, perpetuates the bad stereotype...its just ugly. I supported Bo and thought he could fit here...but he is flawed and seems more inept than ever at getting this team back to prominence...it just has run its course. Another thread said that Bo took a sinking ship and got it to float again...I credit him for that...but we need a leader who is going to take us to the next level.

"And here is what you should know, Nebraska fans: This is your coach. This is Pelini. A tirade like this is not out of character for the 45-year-old Ohio native.

Pelini has regularly accosted local media members in such fashion over coverage with which he disagreed. I got the phone call once when I worked for Omaha World-Herald, covering his first three seasons in Lincoln -- and many others heard the same tone and language evident in that ugly audio"

-Mitch Sherman-http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

I don't rightly know who Mitch Sherman is. I'm not sure if I have ever even read one of his postings besides this one. I will say, however, that if the above quote is true I have deep personal issue with it. Using a proverbial bully pulpit to limit one's ability to openly discuss circumstances at hand (for better or worse) is morally unethical. Being emotionally charged and offended while speaking out in the confines of your own privacy, with individuals you trust, in order to vent, is perfectly OK in my book. However, taking on an aggressor's role to personally make "the phone call" to ANYBODY (media member or otherwise) to flame and bully them, with "the same tone and language evident in that ugly video", into a silent submission, or even to pressure them in the slightest bit is a fire-able offense: a ban-able offense. Mr. Sherman eludes to a can of worms being opened with the release of this audio tape. He hinted at the fact that there was really nothing any of the targets of these bullish tactics could do about it, and that Pelini was doing it "to blow off steam." That, to me, is the single most disappointing and enraging sentiment I've heard about this whole Fire Pelini fiasco. There is no proof from Sherman about "the phone call" in the article, but if proof was ever to surface about this type of devilish behavior I certainly would support a significant coaching ban on him. This is so disappointing, because I've always believed that Pelini was a good person at heart, a good coach, and a great role model for the players in Lincoln. He has had some outbreaks during games. I know it looks bad, but when I played the game I'd get emotional too. I never did or said anything to my teammates or coaches (or anybody for that matter) that could even be slightly construed as bullish. Hot headed? You bet, but not bullish. Bullying is intolerable. I cannot stand, tolerate, accept or turn a blind eye to bullying of any kind. I really hope Pelini has not made a mark of doing this to people, and that his reputation has not been built upon this kind of stuff behind closed doors.

-Praying for the entire Pelini family, including Bo.

• Fire 1

Whomever put this out is an idiot. This hurts the program and there is a lot of football left to play this season. Did he assume he could force the university's hand into an early firing?

As far as Bo goes this obviously damages the case for him. For me it's less about what he said than that it's out there. I'd hate for there to be a recording of me during the game Saturday. Bo is an emotional, excitable guy and said stuff in the heat of the moment. Thing is this can cost us some in recruiting and fan/booster support. If Eichorst didn't have some faith in Bo I think he'd used it as an excuse to just pull the plug right now. As-is it will be a factor when the decision comes a couple months from now. Expectations for what he has to do the rest of the way are now up. Bo needs to be pretty-much incident and embarrassment free. .