*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I believe we had 21 sign last year. I also believe if a player is an early enrollee, he counts towards the previous year's 25. So, 21+5 =26. I wonder if someone like Gebbia or KJJ are paying their own way the first semester.

Why would those guys not be on scholarship? With guys graduating, there would be plenty of scholarships available.

Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But, I thought this is an issue of the NCAA rule of only signing 25 per class. If you sign 23 one year, then the next you can actually sign 27 and have two count towards the previous year so both classes technically has 25.

So, if we signed 21 last year, I would think we would only be able to have 4 early enrollees on scholarship.

NOT an NCAA rule - huge contention nationally. 25 is actually a B1G rule, with an allowance of 3 oversigns for a maximum of 28. This causes some fits because this should be the rule nationally, but other conferences ($$$$$$$EC) won't implement it and sign 28-30 regularly.

The only way a kid can count against last year's class if he early enrolls. So, if we signed 23 last year, and wanted to sign 30 this year, we would have to have at least 2 enroll early. That would put us at 25 last year, and 28 this year. Make sense?

The rule only applies to recruiting classes. Once kids are on campus, the only rule is that the football team stays under 85 scholarships. If we have the scholarships, they can enroll early. We graduated ~15+ guys this past weekend, meaning we have plenty of room for early enrollees.

The 25 rule is an NCAA rule. Conferences like the SEC over sign by using loop hopes. The BIG put in the rule of only over signing by 3.

The issue is, you have to be down to the 25/85 rules by the time they start school in the fall.

But, it still gets back to my question of how we can have 5+ early enrollees?

Mav answered this question in one of the threads, iirc. they can enroll early but dont have to be counted against last years class. they can be but they dont have to be was the gist of it.

• Fire 2

I believe we had 21 sign last year. I also believe if a player is an early enrollee, he counts towards the previous year's 25. So, 21+5 =26. I wonder if someone like Gebbia or KJJ are paying their own way the first semester.

Why would those guys not be on scholarship? With guys graduating, there would be plenty of scholarships available.

Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But, I thought this is an issue of the NCAA rule of only signing 25 per class. If you sign 23 one year, then the next you can actually sign 27 and have two count towards the previous year so both classes technically has 25.

So, if we signed 21 last year, I would think we would only be able to have 4 early enrollees on scholarship.

NOT an NCAA rule - huge contention nationally. 25 is actually a B1G rule, with an allowance of 3 oversigns for a maximum of 28. This causes some fits because this should be the rule nationally, but other conferences ($$$$$$$EC) won't implement it and sign 28-30 regularly.

The only way a kid can count against last year's class if he early enrolls. So, if we signed 23 last year, and wanted to sign 30 this year, we would have to have at least 2 enroll early. That would put us at 25 last year, and 28 this year. Make sense?

The rule only applies to recruiting classes. Once kids are on campus, the only rule is that the football team stays under 85 scholarships. If we have the scholarships, they can enroll early. We graduated ~15+ guys this past weekend, meaning we have plenty of room for early enrollees.

The 25 rule is an NCAA rule. Conferences like the SEC over sign by using loop hopes. The BIG put in the rule of only over signing by 3.

The issue is, you have to be down to the 25/85 rules by the time they start school in the fall.

But, it still gets back to my question of how we can have 5+ early enrollees?

We had room for 23 last year plus the 3 over which would have put us at 26. We only signed 21 last year leaving us 5 spots, hence the 5 early enrollees.

In the B1G, you can only over-sign 3 from the number of scholarships you have available that year but it can not exceed the NCAA's 28 total recruits in a class. We had 23 open scholarships last year, so we could take 26 players with the rule. We only signed 21 which still gave us 5 spots to fill.

I'm optimistic. In thinking about it, you take out all the crystal ball nonsense and there is no reason to be panicked. The staff learned from last year with fitz and don't seem very panicked so I'll follow their lead.

So you suggest we disregard predictions of paid professionals in the industry and follow the predictions/thoughts of ..... ?
18 year olds are very unpredictable, so I would say yes disregard the"professional" opinion. On top of that NONE of them are 100% 🤔

I'm optimistic. In thinking about it, you take out all the crystal ball nonsense and there is no reason to be panicked. The staff learned from last year with fitz and don't seem very panicked so I'll follow their lead.

So you suggest we disregard predictions of paid professionals in the industry and follow the predictions/thoughts of ..... ?
18 year olds are very unpredictable, so I would say yes disregard the"professional" opinion. On top of that NONE of them are 100% 🤔
If that's your logic nvrm.
  • Fire 1

18 year olds are very unpredictable, so I would say yes disregard the"professional" opinion. On top of that NONE of them are 100%

All you have to do is look at all the kids that flip on a yearly basis. Circumstances change minds on a daily basis...

18 year olds are very unpredictable, so I would say yes disregard the"professional" opinion. On top of that NONE of them are 100%

All you have to do is look at all the kids that flip on a yearly basis. Circumstances change minds on a daily basis...
So what do you suggest we basis our optimism on?

Hey guys...anyone else think this staff should just recruit players that have super rich parents? Here me out...that way the parents could just pay the tuition...none of them would count as a scholarship!

Plus they could totally pump up the walk-on program that way.

It could work, but it's all about the prestige of getting a full ride scholarship.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***