Coach?

hskerprid

If there was someone out there like Urban Myer. You know, I feel like we could lure in a top-tier coach from the SEC. Because, it's tough to make a NC game in their conf. Too much competition. If they came here (and kept recruiting) they could compete for conf/NC more often.

Remember urban said there was no way he was going to a school who just fired a coach that won nine games.

Question: One last Nebraska question — in late 2003, NU fired its coach, Frank Solich. You were coaching at Utah. Was there any part of you that perhaps thought about looking at the job?

Urban Meyer: “We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is.

I wanted to keep Frank. he pulled the trigger and fired some guys. He improved. Our worse loss that year was to #16 texas. 7-31.........Totally different when you let a guy go who continually losses by 4-5 TD's, multiple times per year......

For the nay sayers wondering who we could get. Money talks and BS walks. We open up the kitty, you'd be amazed who would be interested.

If there was someone out there like Urban Myer. You know, I feel like we could lure in a top-tier coach from the SEC. Because, it's tough to make a NC game in their conf. Too much competition. If they came here (and kept recruiting) they could compete for conf/NC more often.

Remember urban said there was no way he was going to a school who just fired a coach that won nine games.

Question: One last Nebraska question — in late 2003, NU fired its coach, Frank Solich. You were coaching at Utah. Was there any part of you that perhaps thought about looking at the job?

Urban Meyer: “We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is.

I wanted to keep Frank. he pulled the trigger and fired some guys. He improved. Our worse loss that year was to #16 texas. 7-31.........Totally different when you let a guy go who continually losses by 4-5 TD's, multiple times per year......

For the nay sayers wondering who we could get. Money talks and BS walks. We open up the kitty, you'd be amazed who would be interested.

Acually no we didn't imporve. We played two ranked teams all year and were woodsheaded by both of them. The other being 38-9 at home vs KSU, you know the first game in modern history when the stadium was pretty much empty in the 4th quarter. The other loss was to unranked Mizzou 41-24. So three double digit losses, 0-2 vs ranked teams and a 17 point loss to an unranked team. Not to mention statically our offense was worse than it was in 2002, when we needed to beat McNeese State just to get to a bowl and lose to Eli and Ole Miss.

So Urban didn't look very much into the situation and was talking from an outsiders point of view. Plus I really think it had more to do with SP putting ridiculous expectations on whoever replaced Frank with that speech about not allowing OU and UT to own the Big 12 with the roster (lack of talent) that Frank left whoever was the HC in 2004. If there was more talent, then it would have been easier to find a better replacement.

Get a coach than can manage the bigger picture and RECRUIT. Doesn't need to be a genius X's and O's guy.

Bob Davie as DC.

Scott Frost as OC.

Recruit a quarterback. A real quarterback. Not a safety/cornerback/running back who we think we can maybe turn into a passer.

Pelini made a comment to Sipple in the post game along the lines of "not looking at the big picture" and "we have won a lot of games"

Why not try for Tressel or even Gruden? We have the cash in the coffers....just spitballin here. But I think the Pelini era is done.

Here’s the problem with Gruden. Here are his last six seaons in coaching:

7-9

5-11

11-5

4-12

9-7

9-7

One good season in six. Gruden is clearly a product of hype. Would not want him. Would substantially prefer Bill Cowher.

I can't believe people even throw out Gruden's name anymore, or Cowher. That bs was in full swing in 2003.

First of all its pointless to discuss unless there is even a hint that Bo is leaving, which there isn't yet. Second, lets at least be realistic with the coaching choices. The only realistic choice I've seen thrown around is Scott Frost, and I understand the issue with not wanting another rookie head coach.