DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Didn't this kid take a recruiting trip to Minnesota, and leave his basketball team in a bad spot without him?

I think his basketball teammates would understand that Fant isn't "quitting" on the team. His future is in football, and he is taking an out of town visit. If he misses a game or two, it's not a huge deal. He's not skipping out on the team during the district or state tournament.

If anything, I am impressed that Fant is playing basketball at all during his senior season. He could have very easily said "I don't want to risk tearing up my knee or having any other major injury before I get to college."

• Fire 3

i wouldn't put that on Hughes. We were recruiting him as a DE like other schools outside of Iowa. Only when he actually said something about not wanting to be a DE is when Riley started recruiting him on his own, iirc.

Yeah, too bad Riley didn't know early he wanted to be a TE, this could have been wrapped up months ago.

Hughes screwed the pooch early with this one, particularly with his parents. I would say let this one go. TE is not a major need right now anyway. What we need is this staff to focus on the two lines.

How would this be on Hughes if Fant wanted to play TE anyway?

They recruited him as a DE prospect first.

So Hughes was sent to Fant to recruit him as a DE when it turns out the kid wanted to play TE instead and Hughes screwed the pooch? I mean, I know people on here grouse about Hughes being weak at recruiting but it seems odd to lay it all down at his feet.

It wasn't the fact that they started recruiting him at DE that set them back. In fact, when team's first started talking with Noah, he said multiple times he was open to both positions in college because he did not make up his mind which he preferred.

The problem was how Hughes treated the recruitment and some offenses his parents took during that initial recruitment.

i wouldn't put that on Hughes. We were recruiting him as a DE like other schools outside of Iowa. Only when he actually said something about not wanting to be a DE is when Riley started recruiting him on his own, iirc.

Yeah, too bad Riley didn't know early he wanted to be a TE, this could have been wrapped up months ago.

Hughes screwed the pooch early with this one, particularly with his parents. I would say let this one go. TE is not a major need right now anyway. What we need is this staff to focus on the two lines.

So Hughes was sent to Fant to recruit him as a DE when it turns out the kid wanted to play TE instead and Hughes screwed the pooch? I mean, I know people on here grouse about Hughes being weak at recruiting but it seems odd to lay it all down at his feet.

It wasn't the fact that they started recruiting him at DE that set them back. In fact, when team's first started talking with Noah, he said multiple times he was open to both positions in college because he did not make up his mind which he preferred.

The problem was how Hughes treated the recruitment and some offenses his parents took during that initial recruitment.

Do you have a link to this?

Was it "offenses" that were miscommunication issues or was it Hughes blatantly offended that family and/or individuals? Either way we're only gonna get one side of the story. I've also heard that one individual in the family has been a little difficult to work with. It could very well be Hughes' error, but not going to bury him without knowing the whole story.

It has been discussed quite a bit on Sharp and Benning. DB appears to be close with the family and has intimated multiple times, after Noah came on their show to make his initial announcement, that during his early recruitment, the family was unhappy with the level of contact as well as the message. Things improved when Riley and the TE GA took over recruitment of Noah, but the damage was done. If you want to listen, there was a show last week where he went into some more detail to say that if it was up to Noah only, Nebraska might have a shot, but the parents need to be "recruited" even more right now.

It has been discussed quite a bit on Sharp and Benning. DB appears to be close with the family and has intimated multiple times, after Noah came on their show to make his initial announcement, that during his early recruitment, the family was unhappy with the level of contact as well as the message. Things improved when Riley and the TE GA took over recruitment of Noah, but the damage was done. If you want to listen, there was a show last week where he went into some more detail to say that if it was up to Noah only, Nebraska might have a shot, but the parents need to be "recruited" even more right now.

Don't you guys see that as a problem? Parents need to allow their kids to be the ones recruited first and foremost. Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, It's not about you! I get that you have a part to play in this, but it's about swallowing your pride and letting your child do what is best for them. I hate to say it, but it's true, sending him to Iowa isn't what is best. I can barely stomach it to cross the border into that pit.

Don't you guys see that as a problem? Parents need to allow their kids to be the ones recruited first and foremost. Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, It's not about you! I get that you have a part to play in this, but it's about swallowing your pride and letting your child do what is best for them. I hate to say it, but it's true, sending him to Iowa isn't what is best. I can barely stomach it to cross the border into that pit.

I agree with you to a point unless it goes as far as what Harbaugh did with a couple of recruits by sitting in class and staying overnight. That sh#t wouldn't fly with me and it wouldn't be welcomed at my house.

But ultimately, it should be the players decision.

It's been stated several times that from the very beginning this recruit and the process to get him was botched. I think there is blame to go around on both this staff and the previous. I'm pretty disappointed that we can't keep the top recruits in our state, but we did get some of the top recruits from other states. My problem is that with some with instate kids, sometimes, they come with their own internal motivation to be great and we are missing out on them (DeLuca, Stick, Urzendowski, Phillips, Lewis, Ott). Instate kids can also come with added pressure too so it cuts both ways. Best of luck Mr. Fant in all except against Nebraska.

I put the blame right on this staff. He said from the start if someone would have returned his call in the first month of the hire when he was trying to make contact he would have been a Husker.

He never wanted to be a Husker that bad. The staff has more than tried to make up for that.... If I was wanting to go to Nebraska, I wouldn't let a lack of initial contact stop me. Not if it's what I REALLY wanted.

It's been stated several times that from the very beginning this recruit and the process to get him was botched. I think there is blame to go around on both this staff and the previous. I'm pretty disappointed that we can't keep the top recruits in our state, but we did get some of the top recruits from other states. My problem is that with some with instate kids, sometimes, they come with their own internal motivation to be great and we are missing out on them (DeLuca, Stick, Urzendowski, Phillips, Lewis, Ott). Instate kids can also come with added pressure too so it cuts both ways. Best of luck Mr. Fant in all except against Nebraska.

I put the blame right on this staff. He said from the start if someone would have returned his call in the first month of the hire when he was trying to make contact he would have been a Husker.

He never wanted to be a Husker that bad. The staff has more than tried to make up for that.... If I was wanting to go to Nebraska, I wouldn't let a lack of initial contact stop me. Not if it's what I REALLY wanted.

Sharp and Benning have intimated a few times that there seems to be a disconnect between the Omaha Metro area and their level of excitement to play for Nebraska. I grew up in Lincoln and wanted to play for only Nebraska. I think the sentiment is similar throughout the state. Maybe the influence of the :bigredn: doesn't have as much pull in Omaha as it used to. Another problem is you have more options as a player now that were unthinkable just a few years ago. Kids can go win a championship up north of us and get college paid for.

That's all great in theory. My kids have been recruited pretty heavily not for athletics but academically. I go on every college visit. Ultimately, I leave it up to them. But, I will point out things they need to think about and make sure they are making the choice for the right reasons.

I can't imagine if my kid was top athlete and just throwing him/her to the dogs and say.....You're on your own. Make up your own mind.

A good parent/roll model in this process is not a bad thing for the kid.

I say all of that knowing some parents don't handle it very well and push their kids to what they want instead of the kids.....which, I am not advocating.

No he didn't. No one has any inside information on his recruiting process at all. He's a kid who enjoys the recruiting process and most likely wanted Nebraska to want him more. Stop spreading FUD.

What in the world? If you are saying there is no inside information known, then how can you state indefinitely that Hughes did not screw up? This is so overtly hypocritical, it is hard to believe you meant it. I am not trying to pass this off as inside information no one else knows about. It was shared on a public radio show by a host that is friends with the family and heard the details of Noah's recruitment throughout the process.

:facepalm:

Damage was done? Are you kidding? If it is his dream to play for Nebraska...no amount of 'damage done' would prevent him from strapping on the N. They need to get over their little butthurt feelings on this one and play ball for the Huskers...sorry but I wouldn't let a bad initial experience with one GA and a coach on a new staff while they were initially organizing get in the way of me playing for Riley.

No offense, but I'm not seeing this being the coaches fault. I see this a major case of butthurt-itis.

Noah has options. If his "dream school", which I do not know if he ever called Nebraska that, turns out to not meet his expectations in reality, then no harm done. It is not like TE is such a critical position or that Noah, no offense, is a once in a generation talent that will guarantee wins. So, why are we so obsessed? Bubak came and went to Arizona with hardly a peep by everyone here, so don't give me, "We have to lock down our borders". Honestly, the drama is too much.

:facepalm::facepalm: