Screw you complainers

knapplc

I understand the transition period, but if this staff really doesn't do the square peg, round hole thing and are truly great teachers, then the transition shouldn't be an excuse.

So, no coach with any head coaching experience should ever come to Nebraska and not immediately win nine games, every year? There are zero extenuating circumstances, ever?

These demands for immediate success become less and less realistic each week.

Bo Pelini never complained about a "fishbowl" at Nebraska. And if he hinted at such a complaint, it's further proof he didn't belong here.Nebraska is about as low-pressure as you can get in a major D1A market. If you can't handle it here, you can't handle it anywhere.

In his 2nd tape, IIRC he told the players that he almost quit and only stayed because of them.

I don't know if I'd agree that Lincoln is that low stress. They are the only game in town, all eyes are on the football program, all of the time. I'm no expert in thatb regard., however.

Don't argue with the guy. Short of Riley winning a national championship next week he won't be satisfied.

Next week is too late- Riley should have already won a few... like Harbaugh. :rolleyes:

Well to my recollection (i could be wrong) is that every team that Harbaugh has taken over was a complete dumpster fire prior to his hire.

He wasn't handed the keys to a "Cadillac" that had won 9 to 10 games each of the previous 7 seasons while being driven by a supposed blind, incompetent driver.

I think I need to disagree with your assessment that Nebraska is a better situation for Riley than Michigan for Harbaugh. NU may have won more games last year, but Michigan is the biggest brand in college football. Their recruiting classes are nearly always better than NU's, and usually significantly so. Plus, Jim has gone back to his alma mater- a culture he already understands very well.

It was obvious Bo Pelini had maxed out his potential after 7 years. There was going to be nothing different the next year than the last. Combine that with the annual game embarrassments, the lack of decorum, and joyless fan experience and it was probably a year late firing him. Pelini's self-serving, immature, unprofessional and inexcusable rant to players on his way out the door (secret audio tape 2) should remove all doubt that he was poison to the program.

Regardless of who was to be hired, Pelini had to go.

So Mike Riley was hired. He's a decent man and an experienced coach. He deserves the same chance given to Pelini, and Callahan, and Solich, and Osborne. We are one game into his coaching tenure. Give the guy a chance.

You can disagree, but the numbers won't back you. I've said it before that Bo had to go, but not for any of the reasons that you've stated. There's no way to know if he had maxed out here, and I don't care if he made funny faces on the sideline, didn't get along with reporters, or if he said naughty words in private.

Nice Mike will get his chance, no doubt about it. But if the last coach and staff were inexperienced and incompetent yet could win 70% of their games and take the division crown over half of their 7 seasons, then this new coach and staff are much more experienced and allegedly experts, there is no reason to not expect that they have a higher winning percentage, and win more division and conference championships.

Immediately.

Let's quit pretending that this is their first game.

I agree with this, with one caveat. We do need to allow enough time for the transition to take place. There are things that will require a bit of time even considering the new staff is experienced and is better than the previous. But I wholeheartedly agree, if the previous three ring circus could coach em to 9 wins per year, things should improve immediately with better coaching. That is why I predicted 10 or more wins this year. I might be wrong but that's what I anticipate.

I understand the transition period, but if this staff really doesn't do the square peg, round hole thing and are truly great teachers, then the transition shouldn't be an excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's just a bit of reality.

Undoing the bunker mentality of the team is one thing that really isn't dependent only upon the staff upgrade. Another thing would be installing completely new offensive and defensive systems. These types of things just take some time that has little to directly do with the coach. Spring ball and a fall camp just plain isn't enough contact time to get new systems implemented. The other item that Riley has little control over at this point is the players that were recruited. Sure he can help the process along by adapting and not putting square pegs in round holes but we also need to know enough to give him time to get the right players for his systems.

So, no coach with any head coaching experience should ever come to Nebraska and not immediately win nine games, every year? There are zero extenuating circumstances, ever?These demands for immediate success become less and less realistic each week.

One of the big knocks against the previous staff was that winning nine games here, with our schedule was no big deal. The 9 wins were built in, any idiot could fall out of bed and luck his way into 9 wins.

Are we changing that narrative now?

If this staff is better than the last, then there is no reason not to expect immediate returns on their expertise.

• Fire 3

Don't argue with the guy. Short of Riley winning a national championship next week he won't be satisfied.

Next week is too late- Riley should have already won a few... like Harbaugh. :rolleyes:

Well to my recollection (i could be wrong) is that every team that Harbaugh has taken over was a complete dumpster fire prior to his hire.

He wasn't handed the keys to a "Cadillac" that had won 9 to 10 games each of the previous 7 seasons while being driven by a supposed blind, incompetent driver.

I think I need to disagree with your assessment that Nebraska is a better situation for Riley than Michigan for Harbaugh. NU may have won more games last year, but Michigan is the biggest brand in college football. Their recruiting classes are nearly always better than NU's, and usually significantly so. Plus, Jim has gone back to his alma mater- a culture he already understands very well.

It was obvious Bo Pelini had maxed out his potential after 7 years. There was going to be nothing different the next year than the last. Combine that with the annual game embarrassments, the lack of decorum, and joyless fan experience and it was probably a year late firing him. Pelini's self-serving, immature, unprofessional and inexcusable rant to players on his way out the door (secret audio tape 2) should remove all doubt that he was poison to the program.

Regardless of who was to be hired, Pelini had to go.

So Mike Riley was hired. He's a decent man and an experienced coach. He deserves the same chance given to Pelini, and Callahan, and Solich, and Osborne. We are one game into his coaching tenure. Give the guy a chance.

You can disagree, but the numbers won't back you. I've said it before that Bo had to go, but not for any of the reasons that you've stated. There's no way to know if he had maxed out here, and I don't care if he made funny faces on the sideline, didn't get along with reporters, or if he said naughty words in private.

Nice Mike will get his chance, no doubt about it. But if the last coach and staff were inexperienced and incompetent yet could win 70% of their games and take the division crown over half of their 7 seasons, then this new coach and staff are much more experienced and allegedly experts, there is no reason to not expect that they have a higher winning percentage, and win more division and conference championships.

Immediately.

Let's quit pretending that this is their first game.

I agree with this, with one caveat. We do need to allow enough time for the transition to take place. There are things that will require a bit of time even considering the new staff is experienced and is better than the previous. But I wholeheartedly agree, if the previous three ring circus could coach em to 9 wins per year, things should improve immediately with better coaching. That is why I predicted 10 or more wins this year. I might be wrong but that's what I anticipate.

It's not an excuse, it's just a bit of reality.

Undoing the bunker mentality of the team is one thing that really isn't dependent only upon the staff upgrade. Another thing would be installing completely new offensive and defensive systems. These types of things just take some time that has little to directly do with the coach. Spring ball and a fall camp just plain isn't enough contact time to get new systems implemented. The other item that Riley has little control over at this point is the players that were recruited. Sure he can help the process along by adapting and not putting square pegs in round holes but we also need to know enough to give him time to get the right players for his systems.

I don't disagree. But the talent is there, let's see what they can do with it.

Bo Pelini never complained about a "fishbowl" at Nebraska. And if he hinted at such a complaint, it's further proof he didn't belong here.

Nebraska is about as low-pressure as you can get in a major D1A market. If you can't handle it here, you can't handle it anywhere.

I would say it's pretty equally comparable to most places.

You don't have the insane media market of a major metro area, but you also don't have any deflected attention either.

So, no coach with any head coaching experience should ever come to Nebraska and not immediately win nine games, every year? There are zero extenuating circumstances, ever?These demands for immediate success become less and less realistic each week.
One of the big knocks against the previous staff was that winning nine games here, with our schedule was no big deal. The 9 wins were built in, any idiot could fall out of bed and luck his way into 9 wins.

If this staff is better than the last, then there is no reason not to expect immediate returns on their expertise.

If they had their systems in place, maybe. If it was a new coaching staff implementing new systems, not necessarily.

That's a straw man.

There were those who said that nine wins wasn't what it once was (which is demonstrably true), and those who said that the nine wins Bo earned were offset by the blowout losses, and those who said the other warts Bo exhibited weren't a fair trade for winning nine games a season, and those who said that four losses was Bo's plateau. That represented a few people, and as an agglomeration maybe a fair percentage. At times, most everyone may have said one or more of those things.

But to say that it was an accepted argument by any kind of majority that "nine wins was no big deal" is not true, not here at HuskerBoard, anyway.

And if you're speaking of a minority, then to whom, specifically, are you speaking? And where are they now, and why aren't you addressing these arguments to them? Because it seems as if there's a wish to be contrarian more than a need to dispute some fallacy you're currently discussing.

Because, honestly, this anti-Mike Riley stuff seems more like a personal axe to grind than anything else. Let's not forget your reaction when Riley was hired:

Congrats Bo~Leavers, you got your wish.

See how easy it was to get a top notch coach, they were obviously lined up waiting to come here.

Riley, the Ginger idiot and Harv should all be fired.

This is more embarrassing than any 40 point Pelini beatdown.

Sounds like Billy C. Version 2.

F@ck him, the Ginger idiot and Harv.

I may have to go home sick.

It's pretty easy to take these claims at less than face value in light of where this argument started. Inside someone's personal expectations, and the angst they felt when those expectations weren't met.

Fail dude. Everything I've said is true. The narrative is that 9 wins is built into our schedule and that any incompetent idiot can win 9 games here. It's exactly why the last coaching regime is deemed a failure by some.

And if you think that I've got a personal axe to grind with nice Mike, you're wrong. The program is bigger than any coach. I want this program to succeed, but his track record suggests that he is not as good of coach as our previous coach was.

And yes, I'm on the record as saying that he is way more Billy C.V2 than he is BD, TO, FS, or BP. What I saw last week was better than what I saw this week. This offense looks way too Billy C. for me.

So, no coach with any head coaching experience should ever come to Nebraska and not immediately win nine games, every year? There are zero extenuating circumstances, ever?

I don't know about "ever", but review the last 5 head coaching changes at Nebraska and I'd say Riley needs to get it done and get it done immediately. Pelini did it with no head coaching experience.......so I guess that might answer the question since he's the worst coach to ever take a breath of air.

I don't know about "ever", but review the last 5 head coaching changes at Nebraska and I'd say Riley needs to get it done and get it done immediately. Pelini did it with no head coaching experience.......so I guess that might answer the question since he's the worst coach to ever take a breath of air.

the Bolievers are going to chirp about any percieved mistep by the Huskers for the next 7 years. we have to live with that now. right Sker?