WR Desmond Fitzpatrick [Louisville - Signed LOI]

Mavric

How many people would be saying "Man, that video was awesome!!! I can't wait to get him in Lincoln!!!" if Fitzpatrick had committed to NU instead of Louisville.

I know recruiting is important for the success of our favorite college teams, but man, to get all butt-hurt about the kid's decision is just crazy.

I don't know, but personally, that is extremely cringe-worthy regardless of whether he comes to play at my school. I'm glad that we generally don't get caught up in the mess with all of the biggest prima donna hat ceremony ESPN spotlight type of recruits year in and year out. In one sense they're a product of the environment they're surrounded by, but in another those types of kids bust just as often as they succeed (Jordan Stephenson).

I just think that NU fans start to look pretty bad when they start saying all the negative things that have been said regarding Fitzpatrick and his father. It's an 18 year old kid, choosing where to go to college and play football for the next 3-5 years. Yes, it's disappointing he didn't choose NU, but be an adult and respect the kid's decision. Who cares how he announced it or whether he jilted NU's coaches in the process. It happens all the time.

• Fire 1

How many people would be saying "Man, that video was awesome!!! I can't wait to get him in Lincoln!!!" if Fitzpatrick had committed to NU instead of Louisville.

I know recruiting is important for the success of our favorite college teams, but man, to get all butt-hurt about the kid's decision is just crazy.

I don't know, but personally, that is extremely cringe-worthy regardless of whether he comes to play at my school. I'm glad that we generally don't get caught up in the mess with all of the biggest prima donna hat ceremony ESPN spotlight type of recruits year in and year out. In one sense they're a product of the environment they're surrounded by, but in another those types of kids bust just as often as they succeed (Jordan Stephenson).

I was thinking about this earlier. I wonder if the fanfare that comes along with a highly publicized recruitment capped off with an announcement video leads to a sense of entitlement once on campus? I think it's a legitimate possibility that it does. Not saying that Des is that way, but I'd be very interested to see some data as to what percentage of high-pub recruits flamed out.

I was thinking about this earlier. I wonder if the fanfare that comes along with a highly publicized recruitment capped off with an announcement video leads to a sense of entitlement once on campus? I think it's a legitimate possibility that it does. Not saying that Des is that way, but I'd be very interested to see some data as to what percentage of high-pub recruits flamed out.

Land Lamar and we'll find out.

The fanfare from recruiting isn't the cause; it's a symptom. The entitlement comes from special treatment by coaches/teachers/friends/booster club members/cheerleaders/pretty much everyone. If every person you encounter keeps telling you about how great and special you are, you start to believe it and you start to expect and/or demand other people to think the same way.

Its disappointing to lose out on this kid but i just hope he committed to Lville for the right reasons.

A snap decision to recommit like that after clear evidence that he was pointed in another direction is going to attract the wrong kind of attention from investigators.

Not saying the NCAA is gunna drop the Ole Miss deal and zero in on this kid but yea hearing form people i know this kinda stuff doesn't go unnoticed.

I wish him the best of luck.

Wow. I had no idea Des was a silent commit for over a month. That's a lot different from a guy simply choosing between two schools. There does need to be clear and honest dialogue between the school and the recruit's camp here, and in many cases where one side doesn't hold up their end of the bargain -- whichever side that is -- some of the criticism that comes out is due.

We've seen it before at Nebraska in recent years under each of the last two coaching staffs, and I'm sure we'll see it again. And I mean, flaking isn't the worst thing ever, either. It's a tough decision and no matter which school you sign with, they hold all the cards after that. So, whatever.

Also, people saying stupid stuff to recruits always reflects poorly on them. It's that time of year. Or rather, when is it not?

I would have definitely said, "I can't wait to get him to Lincoln!!!"

But that video was anything but awesome.

This is the closest scenario of what a kid can do that compares to a school pulling an offer from a kid late in the game like Harbaugh and others have done.

The loudest voices for the kid is, "well, he's making the biggest decision of his life." For a school/coach, "they're scumbags, I wouldn't want my son playing him!"

Lesson for us/Riley, please don't wait for the last 4-5 targets you're after be your blue chippers that headline make or break a class. Be better.