Paris attacks

Bin Laden twisted the meanings of Islam and the Quran and interpreted them literally.

Agree he interpreted the teachings of the Islam literally. Disagree he twisted them. Those two thoughts kind of contradict each other.

The bottom line is that Islam does not condone and/or preach violence. The people who are 'claiming' to be Muslim but are exhibiting extremism aren't truly Muslim they are Extremists which again are two entirely different things.

This is where we're just not going to see eye to eye. As Sam Harris so elequently stated "extremism is not a problem if your core beliefs are truly non-violent".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFsO58hXVM

So what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah was truly non violent? Bombing planned parenthood buildings?
  • Fire 2

I don't for a second believe Bin Laden interpreted the teachings of Islam literally. I believe he wanted revenge for the things he believed the U.S. had done, and he told his followers things they could get behind. Since his followers were very religious then convincing them their religion says it's right was the best way to go.

I'm a bit perplexed at some of the comments on here debating the Koran and getting into the inner workings of different faiths. The reality is this....we are living in 2015, and there are many extremists around the world that align with terror groups that are tied to Islam, including ISIS (the Islamic State). This does not mean that all Muslims are bad people, and a high percentage are not, but those who are committing such violent terror acts here in the 2000s are often doing so under the belief its aligns to their Islamic faith. I am deeply troubled by what happened in Paris yesterday, as well as other events that have occurred in the past 12 months at the hands of ISIS, including many beheadings. What I am more concerned with is that our current commander in chief stated just hours before the Paris attacks that ISIS was "contained," and he previously referred to them as the JV squad. How can any President, who has access to more classified and confidential information than anyone in the world, be so wrong in his judgment of this evil group?

There was also a large terrorist attack in Africa today, yet no media attention. These things will be semi regular, it seems every group of people has their run of being the terrorists.

Are you talking about the supposed article being shared around Facebook about 120+ dead in Kenya?

That's from April.

There was also a large terrorist attack in Africa today, yet no media attention. These things will be semi regular, it seems every group of people has their run of being the terrorists.

Are you talking about the supposed article being shared around Facebook about 120+ dead in Kenya?

That's from April.

Ah, well I fail at the internet. But I still don't recall much attention to it from then.

Back to topic. It will be interesting to see how France responds, do they fear attacks on Muslims and turn away refugees? What other programs do they launch to try to stop another event? They've already stated it was an act of war, does France start more missions in Iraq...

What I am more concerned with is that our current commander in chief stated just hours before the Paris attacks that ISIS was "contained," and he previously referred to them as the JV squad. How can any President, who has access to more classified and confidential information than anyone in the world, be so wrong in his judgment of this evil group?

Here's a link to the interview: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-obama-vows-completely-decapitate-isis-operations/story?id=35173579

And the portion of it that has what you're talking about:

“I don't think they're gaining strength,” the president told Stephanopoulos in an interview at the White House Thursday. “From the start our goal has been first to contain, and we have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq. And in Syria it -- they'll come in, they'll leave.

"But you don't see this systematic march by ISIL across the terrain," he added, using the government's acronym for ISIS.

“What we have not yet been able to do is to completely decapitate their command and control structures. We've made some progress in trying to reduce the flow of foreign fighters,” Obama said. “Part of our goal has to be to recruit more effective Sunni partners in Iraq to really go on offense rather than simply engage in defense.”

It's a heck of a lot less damning when you actually read the full context. At the time I read some of these quotes I was assuming he meant geographically, as in they weren't expanding the borders of their "country." That was the main concern because they were rounding people up, killing/enslaving them and then continuing to expand their borders. A group that's able to do that is much more scary than a group who's able to send a few suicide bombers somewhere for isolated attacks. ISIS has killed between 10,000 and 25,000 people on the ground in their territory.

• Fire 2

I honestly don't understand the inability of some (including our leaders) to call something what it is. These are Muslim extremists just like the idiot church in Kansas are Christian extremists. Abortion clinic bombers are christian extremists.

They are using a certain religion in a way it wasn't meant to be used for horrible reasons. There is nothing wrong or hateful in expressing what religion the are using in an extreme way. It's simply facts.

Expressing that the westborro baptist church members are Christian extremists is no negative indication on the majority of Christians. In fact, it's just the opposite by indicating that there is a difference between them and mainstream Christians.

• Fire 1

Expressing that the westborro baptist church members are Christian extremists is no negative indication on the majority of Christians. In fact, it's just the opposite by indicating that there is a difference between them and mainstream Christians.

Either way I don't care, because it's just words, but I don't htink it's the same thing. There is no Christianophobia in our country, and Christians aren't persecuted in our country, so with the generally positive public view of Christianity, saying something is done by Christian extremists is easy and doesn't bring any sort of baggage.

Bin Laden twisted the meanings of Islam and the Quran and interpreted them literally.

Agree he interpreted the teachings of the Islam literally. Disagree he twisted them. Those two thoughts kind of contradict each other.

The bottom line is that Islam does not condone and/or preach violence. The people who are 'claiming' to be Muslim but are exhibiting extremism aren't truly Muslim they are Extremists which again are two entirely different things.

This is where we're just not going to see eye to eye. As Sam Harris so elequently stated "extremism is not a problem if your core beliefs are truly non-violent".http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFsO58hXVM
So what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah was truly non violent? Bombing planned parenthood buildings?
What? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, or if you even meant to quote me.

Of course there's violent Christian extremists. It's just not as politically incorrect to criticize Christianity.

What does it say about Islam and Christianity that their extremists often become extremely violent? What does it say about Jainism that their extremists become extremely non-violent?