Hank Hughes no longer with team

gbr93

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hittingdefensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

From high school position coach to power 5 position coach? Wow. Just wow.

Art Briles and Gus Malzhan say Hi...

Can also add Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze and Jeremy Pruitt to name a few. It is becoming a trend for HCs in the college ranks to hire HS coaches.

Didnt the head coach of that Las Vegas HS we got Gates from get the UNLV head coaching job?
Yeah, the Bishop Gorman coach went to UNLV.

I am not saying high school coaches can't go from HS to being good/great in college. It does happen, but a guy like Todd Dodge failed miserably at UNT.

Regarding Hugh Freeze, him going to Ole Miss as an assistant coach was pretty much a "thank you" for delivering Michael Oher. He has proven to be a good coach, but that could be helped by the rampant cheating they are doing to bring in top talent.

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!

Many on here have liked the idea of having a Samoan or " Island guy " on staff because it could play in to our advantage when it comes to big Samoan linemen.

Nebraska tried the "Polynesian Pipeline" before and it resulted in more arrests and tickets than tackles...and that was even turning a blind eye to most of it. If this scenario is resurrected, let's hope that they box associated with "character" check mark is first on the list when screening potential Huskers.

I think it was pure recruiting failure. I also would not be surprised if MR's hand was forced here. The powers that be aren't as oblivious as we think. My guess is this was a sacrifice to sate the more vocal parts of the fan base/boosters who wanted something done.

I don't think D line was the worst coached position group by a longshot this year though.

Read is the one I would have liked to have seen canned, but this is probably for the best. DL is just not an area where you can fail as badly as we did this year with recruiting. We have some good pieces now but another year of lackluster recruiting on the line would be a disaster.

A lamb has been sacrificed.

But all the major people in positions of authority... who got us where we're at... remain in place.

Harvey will be gone soon thank God.

And I guarantee you that no matter who takes his place some fans will hate him just as much.

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hittingdefensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

Can also add Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze and Jeremy Pruitt to name a few. It is becoming a trend for HCs in the college ranks to hire HS coaches.

Didnt the head coach of that Las Vegas HS we got Gates from get the UNLV head coaching job?
Yes he did. Bishop Gorman HS, a big powerhouse HS in Las Vegas.
Again the reading comprehension skills of HuskerBoard are exposed...

All of your examples had at least called plays as a coordinator before moving to lower level D1, and none of them went from POSITION coach in HS to the same role at a Power 5 school.

All of your examples had at least called plays as a coordinator before moving to lower level D1, and none of them went from POSITION coach in HS to the same role at a Power 5 school.

Just because of your snarky reply, I would point out that your reading skills are obviously challenged as well since you responded to my post, which was the second reply to the actual post you are taking issue with, the one posted by Stumpy1. If you actually read our posts, neither Savage Husker nor I are advocating a HS coach to fill this role. Savage asked a general question to which I answered, I would assume someone who takes issue with reading comprehension would have understood that.........

I didn't realize Texas, Ole Miss, and Auburn were low level D1 schools.

I see what you are getting at with the position part (HS position coach to same in college) but I don't think there is much difference in coaching between the 2. The hardest part would be the recruiting aspect but then again, some powerhouse HS programs recruit also.

They have every right to brag, but, count me in the portion of the fan base that is uninterested in hearing about it or really talking about it anymore. They deserve every accolade thrown their direction, but I think this program's success in the 90's has also become one of it's greatest curses. Everything is constantly compared and referenced to that era and we almost exclusively use players from that era to give us analysis of the program.

In regards to Peter, I think that's a suggestion that should be put to bed. There are dozens of candidates that have better recruiting connections and that needs to be one of the top priorities for this hire outside of coaching ability.

LOL

So those who have never achieved success now want to banish those who have achieved great success.

Rather than learn from those who achieved success... the little darlings who have not achieved success don't want to be compared to those who have... or be reminded of it.. because their little feelings get hurt.

How are you going to have success if there's no one around who knows how to do that ?

Jeez...

I didn't know an opinion would hurt your feelings so much. Is it really that big of a deal that some people don't like listening to the incessant narrative surrounding the 90's? I loved that era as much as anyone and still enjoy watching highlights/games from that dynasty. However, I think it's pretty obvious that the 90's shapes a significant portion of the perspective of our program nowadays. It's constantly referenced, compared and dissected.

And now, 20 years later, it really doesn't mean much moving forward. History is history. You can respect and appreciate the dominance without using it as a crutch for the future, and it is still very much being used as a crutch. I personally believe that's an issue. You're welcome to disagree, of course.

• Fire 4

Who is that a picture of?

Tavita Thompson

He's the TE coach. What does he know of coaching DL? Or do we shift some coaching responsibilties around?

Thompson coached at Pacific University in 2011, serving as the team’s defensive line coach

Good find. Thanks.

1 season as D-Line coach is not really the guy I would strive for.

Does anyone remember when Ed Orgeron was available & made his thoughts clear on coming to NU. I doubt he has any interest now that he is the DL coach for LSU, but it might be worth a phone call.

Even though Ed said he was interested in the job...many posters state that it is a fact that he did not have interest.

Does anyone remember when Ed Orgeron was available & made his thoughts clear on coming to NU. I doubt he has any interest now that he is the DL coach for LSU, but it might be worth a phone call.

I think in reality, Ed was interested in being employed. Now that he is, I doubt he'd answer the phone.

Besides, HCMR didn't even make that call when Ed was more or less begging for work, so I wouldn't expect him to do so now.

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!

If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hitting

defensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

And a normally National ranked team.