Is there a certain record you need to see next year or...

Too many unknown and unproven players to declare anything but an average season right now. I think getting to 7-5 would be a really good season.

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

- Playcalling (one game vs UCLA doesn't erase last year, considering UCLA couldn't stop anyone in the run last year)

- Screen game (did we have any good screens last year, I don't recall many if any)

I just don't consider 7-5 "really good". They get a pass for the crappy record last season, but really losing 5 this year would likely mean losing to Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern and Iowa. Regardless of scoreboard, that's not what we want in year 2.

Losing 5 or more this year would make me think it is a bit of a trend

Too many unknown and unproven players to declare anything but an average season right now. I think getting to 7-5 would be a really good season.

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

- Playcalling (one game vs UCLA doesn't erase last year, considering UCLA couldn't stop anyone in the run last year)

- Screen game (did we have any good screens last year, I don't recall many if any)

I just don't consider 7-5 "really good". They get a pass for the crappy record last season, but really losing 5 this year would likely mean losing to Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern and Iowa. Regardless of scoreboard, that's not what we want in year 2.

Seriously. Change 2 of the "last play" losses last year, and we're 7-5.

I'd be happy with 8-4 or 9-3, as long as our recruiting class is shaping up well.

Ideally, 10-2, but understand it is still the second year under the new regime and there are still some growing pains; however, it seems like the players are buying in and its refreshing to see Riley take steps to not be complacent with his staff.

This is where I'm at, as well. Truthfully, given road games at Wisconsin, tOSU and Iowa, I'd be thrilled with an 8-4 record. Legitimately thrilled. Winning 1/3 of those games would be really good, and 2/3 would be great.

10-2 is a bit out of reach in my opinion. This season is going to come down to what kind of TA we get, assuming he starts, and what kind of production we see along both lines of scrimmage. If we make marked improvement in those area then I think 9-10 wins is reasonable. If we don't, then I think we're in the 7-8 win range.

• Fire 1

I'd be happy with 8-4 or 9-3, as long as our recruiting class is shaping up well.

Ideally, 10-2, but understand it is still the second year under the new regime and there are still some growing pains; however, it seems like the players are buying in and its refreshing to see Riley take steps to not be complacent with his staff.

:yeah Agree wt this - I think we can pull the 9-3 if Tommie doesn't have any disaster days.

Yeah, +1 huskerfan120889. Your post expressed my feelings as good as I could have myself. I'd be disappointed if we didn't win at least eight games. But at this stage our recruiting efforts are most important. We need to keep improving our talent levels. Performance on the field will follow.

Thanks man!

Improving the talent level, without the coaches making excuses on how hard it is to recruit here, has peaked my interest into how the next couple of years are going to play out. If you were to tell me at the beginning of the season that we would go 6-7, but also have as strong as a recruiting class as we did...I wouldn't believe it. A 6-7 team normally doesn't have a top 30 class. That makes me think there is something brewing with the staff, even listening to podcast yesterday the guys were talking about how Saturday's practice felt different. They were saying there was a swagger in the players - I guess the CBs were calling the QBs Scam Newtons, freaking awesome - and that the energy with all those recruits there isn't something they've witnessed at UNL in a while. Who knows, we could fall flat on our face over the next 2 years and I'll eat crow...but for now, I like what I'm hearing from Riley which is more than I could say about his predecessor.

• Fire 2

I'm not putting a number on win total. I won't be "satisfied" unless we are undefeated. BUT, I would be happy with a winning record. Beating the brakes off Purdue and beating both Wisky and Iowa. The schedule could see us going 10-2 or maybe 8-4.

Year two in the same system has got to account for something. Even though we lose some guys, I really think we will see addition through subtraction. I think the DL will be much improved.

There is every reason to believe the team will show improvement this year as the players and coaches should know each other much better and the staff has a much better idea what our team can do competitively vs our schedule. Therefore, presumably we should win several more than last year provided we are not twice bitten with injuries to a single position. Obviously, QB is critical that we have two very capable players ready and available to take us through the season. Assuming the O line and D lines develop as they realistically should, then we should be 7 points a game better on offense and 5 points better on defense just because of systemic efficiency and everybody being on the same page generally. Staffing tweaks could be beneficial as well. If the team forms a bond and good chemistry and puts out the supreme effort and determination it takes to be successful, and I am hopeful anyway, then 11 wins are possible. We won't los more than 5 in my worst case.

Not even sure how to answer this. Of course a winning record is what I always want but there's way to many question marks heading into this season most notably on the offense and defensive lines and just with the defense in general.

I know one things for sure I don't want to see any more losses to teams like Purdue and Illinois.

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

Just my opinion. I'd be ok with it considering the guys we lost and everything I've already stated. We're not overly talented yet, especially with youth factored in. 7-5 or 8-4 will be just fine. It's a building project.

Edit: we really don't have any PROVEN difference makers established. You could argue Westy. Other than that, who else?

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

I cannot accept 5 losses as a good season, but I expect a 7-5 season with nearly the same worries you have. If we could end the season with a positive number in the turnover margin, I think we could end with 3 losses. It seems like we always have more turnovers than the opposition. I guess it is tough to force a turnover when you get ejected every time you rattle a ball carrier.

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

Thats fine for year 1 I guess. But is 7-5 REALLY acceptable in year 2? We can chalk up the plethora of head scratching losses in year 1 to the transition, but in year 2 a lot of those have to turn into wins.

Confident in:

- WR/TE play

- LB play

Questions in:

- DB play

- QB play

Worried about:

- DL play

- OL play

- Running game

Thats fine for year 1 I guess. But is 7-5 REALLY acceptable in year 2? We can chalk up the plethora of head scratching losses in year 1 to the transition, but in year 2 a lot of those have to turn into wins.

I am with you...just like Bo's lame 9-4 became a trend...another year of 5 losses starts to feel like a trend.