Gun Control

What so many people don't understand is that you can be a legal gun owner without being a wacko gun cult weirdo that is obsessed with them.  AND....that the gun industry can still exist without fostering that culture.  AND....we can force the gun industry to change their marketing to foster a responsible attitude towards guns.

But...hey...the NRA is awesome....isn't it?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What so many people don't understand is that you can be a legal gun owner without being a wacko gun cult weirdo that is obsessed with them.  AND....that the gun industry can still exist without fostering that culture.  AND....we can force the gun industry to change their marketing to foster a responsible attitude towards guns.

Cannot +1 that enough...

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I have advocated for stringent universal background checks, national database registration; a registration fee, and mandatory insurance coverage. This would cut down on the number of overall weapons bought and sold. However, it would not do anything to curb illegal ownership. Not sure how that can be done without some sort of seizure or blanket moratorium, which is outside my realm of acceptable solutions. It is estimated there are roughly 375 million firearms in the US. 

Here is some good reading on possible solutions and arguments against.  https://gun-control.procon.org/

I disagree. 

• Plus1 3

25 minutes ago, walksalone said:

I guess what I don't get is after s#!t like this happens, people start posting cartoons, meme's, laying blame at the others feet, instead of trying to fix the problem...

This is kinda like watching CNN, MSNBC, and Fox in one thread...

And before somebody jumps my s#!t, no, I can't do anything about it, the mouth breathing  talking hairdo's in DC have to do something, but they all have their own agenda's and are too busy hoovering special interest groups...

Other than voting when the time comes, what else could the average person reasonably do?  Spread the word, hence the cartoons, memes and blame posting.  I think it’s just how people vent frustrations and communicate nowadays.  

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Better access to mental health care, more restrictions on who can buy guns based on red flag laws, and far, FAR fewer guns. All common-sense approaches to this problem, but none of which will happen.

Congress is already packing up to leave for vacation. If anything were seriously going to be done, they'd be in special session until they hammered out the necessary legislation. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Better access to mental health care, more restrictions on who can buy guns based on red flag laws, and far, FAR fewer guns. All common-sense approaches to this problem, but none of which will happen.

Congress is already packing up to leave for vacation. If anything were seriously going to be done, they'd be in special session until they hammered out the necessary legislation. 

Oh, I agree.  So.....it's a good thing we still have our thoughts and prayers.  

I will never expect anything to be done on this.  Basically, @Toe 's post above nails it right on the head.

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Other than voting when the time comes, what else could the average person reasonably do?  Spread the word, hence the cartoons, memes and blame posting.  I think it’s just how people vent frustrations and communicate nowadays.  

And that's partially what's wrong with the country, instead of having a conversation, it's easier to post something...

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not a huge fan of Beto but this showed more spine than all of the GOP combined.

Yep....don't have a problem with this.  Abbott has refused to do anything about it other than promote more and more gun sales in his state.  If that's his attitude, then being confronted like this is appropriate.

The only way this is going to change is to put pressure on politicians.  And, that's only going to happen by making them uncomfortable.  

• Plus1 2