Gun Control

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Perhaps it's time to revisit the need for the 2nd Amendment.

I am not opposed to much more stringent background checks and controlling/reducing the numbers of certain types of weapons, high capacity mags etc. There are all sorts of things that can be done to help the problem without tossing the 2nd Amendment in it’s entirety. One look at the current republican party, Trump, Abbot, Desantis etc. and what they’ve tried to do and what we know they would attempt in the future reveals a pretty good motivation to not completely scrap the 2nd. The original rationale for it may not have ever in our history been as valid as it is today. But the right for people to keep and bear arms  should provide no excuse why we can’t implement much more wide ranging and sensible controls on them.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

You've studied the bible a lot.  Can you remind me of the verses where Christ talked about how everyone needs to have guns and protecting children is not a priority?

Everyone's familiar with Mathew 19:14 - Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

People forget the very next verse. Mathew 19:15 - But if there's an active shooter at their school, I'm outta there, and those kids are on their own.

• Plus1 2

I've said for a long time that if the Healthcare industry isn't at the forefront of fixing the problems in their industry, then a solution will be figured out without them.....and they won't like it.

Well, here we are with guns. If the gun industry isn't at the forefront of fixing the problems in their industry, one will be figured out for them....and they won't like it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No reason to not take the opportunity to promote more gun sales.

Never waste a crisis as they say in politics.   :facepalm:

I'm sick of the GOP being a stumbling block to common sense gun legislation.  I grew up with guns on our SD farm.  I have no issue with the proper use of hunting guns of various types, target practice guns, guns for self protection, etc.  But it is time to clamp down on auto and semi-auto guns and how they are sold and to whom they are sold.    If I were to become a one issue voter -  besides being pro-life on the abortion issue, I have to be consistent and be pro-life on the gun issue.  Time to vote against GOP candidates for this reason alone.  Our society is sick and they refuse to be a part of the healing.  

Unfortunately, as I heard on the radio yesterday - the Jeanie is out of the bottle - in other words there are so many guns on the street now.  There is no way to corral them all.  Bad guys will always find ways to get them.  The commenter said we need to divert unused covid money & that was ear marked for schools & legislate new money  to harden those schools - get more police in them esp the elementary schools, making entrance to the schools more difficult, etc .  Many HS and intermediate schools already have the proper security as the older kids, like this shooter, could find a way to smuggle in a gun.  But elementary kids typically don't have that mindset and don't have the capability or desire to do so - thus there has been typically less security at those elementary schools.    I have 2 grand kids and one about to start school who are in elementary school and it just shakes me to think if this had happen in their schools.  It shakes me anyway as those 19 children are 'OUR" children. 

Besides 'hardening the schools' we need better mental health initiatives that would catch these people before they act on their worst ideas.  Someone mentioned that we have social media create algorithms that would more quickly identify potential threats of this kind like we have algorithms that point authorities to terrorists.  We are in a war - time to spend a lot of money at home to win it on all of the various fronts.  Voting pro-life by voting for candidates who support gun limit legislation, mental  health initiatives and school security legislation would be a good first step  that all of us  can take .  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

Mouth breather invokes the Constitution while forgetting the Constitution.  Guaranteed he's a cafeteria plan Christian too.

This nut job was a regular on local Tulsa far right talk radio for some time.  He is a former Tulsa policeman also.  As a Tulsan I have to give one of these:  :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Everyone's familiar with Mathew 19:14 - Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

People forget the very next verse. Mathew 19:15 - But if there's an active shooter at their school, I'm outta there, and those kids are on their own.

Vs 16 goes on to say:  "That is what the hypocrites say, those white washed tombs who will one day be organized as the GOP.  But I say, No greater love is this, that a man lay down his life for a friend. All of the children are my friends and I lay my life down for them"  

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You've studied the bible a lot.  Can you remind me of the verses where Christ talked about how everyone needs to have guns and protecting children is not a priority?

I have never understood why the gun freaks continually say that owning a gun is their "God-given right".  Like God (regardless of what god they follow) cares one iota about guns and the right to own them.  It's been a while since I've read the Bible, but I always thought that JC preached a religion of love and care for thy neighbors, not one of death and harm to thy neighbors.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Two to the chest face for the rest - DALAI LAMA | Meme Generator

• Thanks 1