Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was skeptical at first. I am A LOT more convinced that this coaching staff has *potential to build a strong program; however, I cannot say I am fully convinced until I see the OSU and Wis. games.

I remember Bo Pelini doing a solid job (but not perfect, of course) of beating the teams we were supposed to beat; but then melting down during big games. If Riley gets blown out by Wis. or OSU, I think I would be more skeptical about the coaching change, than I was before.

This board doesn't represent 'Nebraska Fan' as a whole because most people don't care enough to take the time to register on, then frequent, an internet discussion board talking about a sports team. We aren't a representative sample size because we, collectively, put a lot more time and effort into our fandom than most do.

That doesn't mean 'Nebraska Fan' is a whiny ungrateful snot. In fact, I can't stand the majority of fans I talk with or sit by in person watching games - all they do is whine and spout off about things they know not. I can't even count the number of times different people behind me during the Oregon game were yelling, "Run the option!", "Come on just block!", "That Langsdorf's an idiot", "Why are we passing so much?!", etc. It's insufferable.

If it wasn't for huskerboard my fandom would be very personal/private. Sure, people overreact like crazy, but dude, it's the internet. You take the good with the bad, and there's plenty of good.

• Fire 2

Given how Oregon State was consistently a 1-2 win program before Riley, and they seem to be headed that way again after Riley, even with Splash Hire Gary Andersen, it still befuddles the mind that people where giving Riley sh#t for what he was able to do there.

I had watched MR and OSU for a time. It really was pretty remarkable what he did at program like Oregon St. that has such bad history in football and sports in general. When BP was hired back in 07 I thought MR would have been a good candidate for the job. No, he never reached the heights of a Bill Snyder at KSU, but he had a pretty good run at a similar school. To be even a .500 coach at a school like OSU over that long of a period is pretty good. Most guys don't stay around long enough to do that. They usually make their mark and move on.

I find it odd that no one saw that Oregon St. dip started with the big rise at Oregon?

I was surprised that SE went and hired MR it really was an out of left field and out of the box hire. At the time of the hire I really knew very little about anybody on his staff. So I was open minded. I think the majority of Nebraska fans were ready for a change with the firing of BP. I don't think most of the players were ready for that change, which can make for a pretty tough situation for a new coach. He had to win over his players. For 6 months he did all the right things to win fans and his players over.

Then they lose their first game of the season to a decent BYU team. That was the key to last season IMO. The manner in which they lost really put doubt in a lot of players mind. They win that game and they are probably winning 8 games in my mind. We know what happend after that. In the middle of the season when things were looking bleak I really had my doubts. But they do get some positive things going towards the end of the season.

I think we lost some talented guys from last years team that were not giving full effort. I think hiring of Parella was great. I personally thought we could be at 5-0 at this point and am happy that they are. I am pretty happy with the way the staff is coaching and recruiting right now. I think they are getting really good effort from a a little above average talented team.

I am ready to see how the rest of the season plays out.

You raise a good point. I wonder how Oregon State would have fared if Nike had gotten behind them instead of the Ducks? And I wonder how Bill Snyder would have done if he had Oregon as an in-state rival instead of Kansas? The world will never know. :dunno:

Given how Oregon State was consistently a 1-2 win program before Riley, and they seem to be headed that way again after Riley, even with Splash Hire Gary Andersen, it still befuddles the mind that people where giving Riley sh#t for what he was able to do there.

I had watched MR and OSU for a time. It really was pretty remarkable what he did at program like Oregon St. that has such bad history in football and sports in general. When BP was hired back in 07 I thought MR would have been a good candidate for the job. No, he never reached the heights of a Bill Snyder at KSU, but he had a pretty good run at a similar school. To be even a .500 coach at a school like OSU over that long of a period is pretty good. Most guys don't stay around long enough to do that. They usually make their mark and move on.

I find it odd that no one saw that Oregon St. dip started with the big rise at Oregon?

I was surprised that SE went and hired MR it really was an out of left field and out of the box hire. At the time of the hire I really knew very little about anybody on his staff. So I was open minded. I think the majority of Nebraska fans were ready for a change with the firing of BP. I don't think most of the players were ready for that change, which can make for a pretty tough situation for a new coach. He had to win over his players. For 6 months he did all the right things to win fans and his players over.

Then they lose their first game of the season to a decent BYU team. That was the key to last season IMO. The manner in which they lost really put doubt in a lot of players mind. They win that game and they are probably winning 8 games in my mind. We know what happend after that. In the middle of the season when things were looking bleak I really had my doubts. But they do get some positive things going towards the end of the season.

I think we lost some talented guys from last years team that were not giving full effort. I think hiring of Parella was great. I personally thought we could be at 5-0 at this point and am happy that they are. I am pretty happy with the way the staff is coaching and recruiting right now. I think they are getting really good effort from a a little above average talented team.

I am ready to see how the rest of the season plays out.

You raise a good point. I wonder how Oregon State would have fared if Nike had gotten behind them instead of the Ducks? And I wonder how Bill Snyder would have done if he had Oregon as an in-state rival instead of Kansas? The world will never know. :dunno:

Of coarse we will never know. Oregon had some good teams before Chip Kelly came in as OC. But they were really inconsistant. They might go 10-2 one year and 7-5 the next. They took a big jump in records and started taking a big jump in recruiting. They were getting all the meaningful talent in the state of Oregon and the Northwest in general. MR didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach, but his talent was falling off.

The fact that he stayed at Oregon St for that long of a duration doesn't usually happen with good coaches. Most get in have some success for 2-3 yeas and move on to a better program. He didn't do that to USC or Alabama or whereever else for whatever reason.

When the hire was made, I wasn't negative, but I was surprised at the choice. I was a little disappointed that we didn't make a huge "splash hire."

As the spring/summer went on, I moved more to a skeptical/hopeful position. They were saying all the "right" things in interviews, etc, etc.

As last season went on, I soured on them quite a bit. They were jamming a square peg into a round hole (specifically Armstrong), which is exactly what they said they were not going to do.

The bowl game made me feel a little better. This year has put me in a skeptical/positive position so far. They're using the player's strengths rather than forcing them to do something they weren't made for. I'm curious to see how the rest of season plays out, especially once we get to our tougher games.

I'm still not sold on "Fo Fiddy."

The recruiting buzz is nice. I'm really hoping it pans out. I do wish that HCMR was a little younger, but he seems to be in good health.

• Fire 3

I'm curious because over the past few years I've seen other fans use this term.

What does it mean to "trust" a team?

Ok...I can trust my wife she isn't going to cheat on me. I can trust my employees they are going to do their jobs. I can trust a teacher they are going to treat my kid appropriately. I can trust my accountant to give me good advice.

But...how do you "trust" a team?

I'm curious because over the past few years I've seen other fans use this term.

What does it mean to "trust" a team?

Ok...I can trust my wife she isn't going to cheat on me. I can trust my employees they are going to do their jobs. I can trust a teacher they are going to treat my kid appropriately. I can trust my accountant to give me good advice.

But...how do you "trust" a team?

As the Greatest Fan in College Football I can answer this.

Having your favorite college football team lose a football game is the ultimate betrayal. Worse than your wife cheating on you.

You can only trust a team when you're sure they won't do that.

• Fire 1

your admitting that you are only here to troll husker fans? i had always thought that about you...but nice to see it confirmed.

I guess I parted ways with "Husker fans" when they started injecting themselves into the spotlight as much or more than the team or the game. Look at all of the angst about whether "WE keep OUR sellout record."

Look at how many people here fell all over themselves to see who could be the nicest to an obvious Oregon Duck troll who ended up making @sses out of them a few weeks back...because they wanted to prove just how wonderful they were to each other and to him.

Look at all of the posts castigating "the blue hairs" who won't (or can't) stand all game and are perfectly willing to be @sshats and block their view to prove that, although they are lousy human beings, are "the world's greatest fans" for doing so.

Look at the venom and hate Pelini invoked because he was mad at the fans after the Ohio State victory and said that Nebraska could kiss his @ss...conveniently forgetting that it came after he took great offense of Husker fans booing his team at the half. (After the comeback win, notice how it went from being "Pelini's team" to "OUR" team) I still have the picture...do you want to see it again, or do you want to explain it away (again) with out seeing a disgusted Bo waving off "The world's greatest fans"?

And THAT was Pelini's one, great unforgivable sin: He didn't love Nebraska fans as much as they thought he should have, and Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned. Sort of like Texas is with everybody leaving the Big 12.

Anyhow, one person's troll may be nothing more than a mirror that tells the Evil Queen that she might not be "the fairest of them all." Either way, I can live with it. Can you live with the fact that some people might not think Nebraska fans are all that they make themselves out to be?

Ah, a *former* Husker fan bitter at how we turned on Bo. Makes sense now.

You can keep your pictures -- but I'm sure you'll share it someday, unprompted, a bold bolt out of the blue to score a point for ol' Bo. :) Hey -- one's fandom is entirely their own business.

Thanks for sharing. That was most illuminating.

Anyhow, last season was more than a little bit of Schadenfreude for me, but this year is different, as far as the team goes.

Well, I'm certainly sorry about this year. ;)

• Fire 1