Non-Call on Westerkamp

Mavric

It's literally the definition of a PI.

Here. Westy quit on the play. Complaining about the officials on one play is the epitome of bad sportsmanship in my book. thanks for playing. By the way, we lost.
You're right! I totally said we lost because of one call! Jesus dude. Pull your head out.

My head is out. Yours, on the other hand... Let it go. this isn't our year. We have been exposed and as our schedule gets serious...well, that will work itself out. I hate ref smack. Plain and simple. That goes both ways. Makes us look cheap and stupid. get over it.

Here. Westy quit on the play. Complaining about the officials on one play is the epitome of bad sportsmanship in my book. thanks for playing. By the way, we lost.
You're right! I totally said we lost because of one call! Jesus dude. Pull your head out.

My head is out. Yours, on the other hand... Let it go. this isn't our year. We have been exposed and as our schedule gets serious...well, that will work itself out. I hate ref smack. Plain and simple. That goes both ways. Makes us look cheap and stupid. get over it.
Again. Can you point to where ANYONE has said that the one missed PI call cost Nebraska the game? It was a missed call, plain and simple. It had no bearing on the turnovers in the first half that cost us or the OL play that cost us. It was one call that was unfortunately missed. sh#t happens. But I look forward to your hot takes the next time we lose a game.

I wouldn't say we've been exposed. Maybe it's been exposed we are a tough team other than that I can't say we were exposed for anything else last night. We lost a hard fought contest to an elite defensive team, and had a chance to win if not for a very questionable non call. We didn't though and should have capitalized elsewhere to win the game in regulation. But we weren't 'exposed' and the non call did alter the outcome
  • Fire 1

Mav

You are showing your true colors in this one. This thread is a disgrace. Player A was going for the ball and his progress was impeded by player B = PI ( no where in the rule does it say that player A has to be running at full speed and player B has to level player A)

now we can argue that the ref didn't see it or there were equal calls both ways or we should have won the game some other way. But to breakdown this one play on it own the answer is PI

• Fire 1

This thread is like listening to the slow pitch softball team that lost 22-21. They had nine errors, three strike outs, four guys fell down running the bases, two guys end up on the same base, but it was the one questionable call at first that they can't get over. That dang ump! :steam

No team or coach had a perfect game last night, neither did the refs. That's pretty standard in any form of human endeavor.

Seems pretty clear:

Defensive Pass Interference Contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opportunity of catching a legal forward pass. The six categories of DPI are:

1. 1) Arm Bar Where the defender places his arm across the body of the receiver, restricting him from moving where he wants to go, there must be restriction.

2. 2) Cutoff Where the defender places his body in a position that restricts or prevents an opponent from moving toward a pass, even while looking back for the ball.

3. 3) Hold Where the defender physically grabs an opponent, typically the arm keeping him from being able to reach a pass, could also be grasping the jersey and restricting or slowing the player down.

4. 4) Hook and turn Where the defender hooks his arm around the waist or shoulders of the opponent and twists the opponent, restricting him from touching the pass.

5. 5) Not playing the ball When the defender is not making an actual effort to reach the pass, is not looking back for the ball and contacts the opponent, restricting his ability to get to where he wants to go or off his path to the ball.

6. 6) Playing through the back Where the defender contacts the receiver from behind in an effort to get to the ball, prior to the ball getting to the receiver.

I think there are two reason why it might not have been called.

First, "It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents." I think an argument can be made that Watt had his position and Westy ran into him.

Second, it looks like Westy slowed up before any contact was made. At that point, it might not have been a catchable ball anymore.

It could be viewed that Westy was stopping to sit in the zone, rather than continuing his route. Westy should have kept running and hit the defender hard. It also appears that Westy may not have seen the ball.

This is PI plain and simple. Jordan slowed up to avoid and then attempt to undercut Watt. Tommy even saw this. Look where #1 is at, and where the ball ends up. Watt basically hugs Jordan as he tries to make the cut. You play Westerkamp legally, and he makes another one of his amazing catches on that play. Some serious bullsh#t...