Bruce Read. Fired

Great move by Riley and had to happen. We had one of the best returners in the conference and he was a non-factor all year. Plus the other gaffes in ST were awful.

If we can get Charlie Strong, go for it. Can coach defense and recruit TX and FL.

Langsdorf is here to stay based on the QB's we are recruiting. Banker is interesting to me. Sure we weren't that good on defense but he was no worse than Pelini. And he didn't have a D-Line at all. I think once we have the personnel to pressure the QB, Banker will do it and that is the brand of defense I want to see...fast and downhill.

the kind you mean when even ray charles could complete the under routes cuz we are giving a 10yard cushion

The kind I mean when the QB is on his back and can't get the ball past the LOS. I didn't like the cushion much either but when you have no push on the D-Line the secondary knows there is going to be lots of time to throw the ball so they play safe and in a bend don't break mode. I didn't like it but was often what we had to work with.

Do you think it is smart for the punt returner to catch it at the 6 yard line? I certainly don't.

Generally speaking, no.

When your team is down 26-10 near the end of the third quarter and has been struggling on offense all game? I don't have a problem with it.

When your team has an average starting position of the 12 (IIRC) and you could probably let it go and guarantee your offense the 25 if it bounces.... ehhh, it's at minimum debatable.

It's the 20 after a punt. The chances of us driving 80 yards against their defense were not very good. It also could have checked and we could have started inside our 5.

Like I said, it's usually not the play. In that situation, I'm fine with the gamble.

Interesting the move was made right before the recruiting push between now and the bowl game.

I never like to see any coach lose their job. I think it's easy to sometimes forget they are in fact people with emotions, families, goals, etc. But, as with many things in life, cost vs. benefit weighs heavy. It's difficult to justify retaining him based on the performance.

Onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

• Fire 1

There's only so much a defense can do when it's offense is not producing (anything)... and that just wears on a unit as the game goes on.

As for special teams, literally every example of anything that could go wrong, did throughout the course of the season, and often more than once. A lot of that is discipline, and that falls squarely on the coach.

We do little in the passing game to get guys like DPE the ball in space. Hard to judge their talent. Give them to someone with an innovative offense, and who knows how productive they would be.

I find it odd that DPE has had basically no success running the jet sweep. Reilly and Moore have done well but not DPE. No explanation for that.

As for the passing game, I think DPE is the victim of having better overall receivers in front of him and that the routes that he would excel at are the ones that TA is terrible at throwing.

We do little in the passing game to get guys like DPE the ball in space. Hard to judge their talent. Give them to someone with an innovative offense, and who knows how productive they would be.

I find it odd that DPE has had basically no success running the jet sweep. Reilly and Moore have done well but not DPE. No explanation for that.

As for the passing game, I think DPE is the victim of having better overall receivers in front of him and that the routes that he would excel at are the ones that TA is terrible at throwing.

As far as receivers go, it's a matter of hands. Westerkamp has phenomenol hands. Maybe the best evar of any Husker WR. Reilly and Morgan both have good hands, maybe great hands. DPE? Not so much. He drops way to many catchable balls.

The jet sweep? I have no clue why DPE doesn't shine on jet sweeps. Seems like that play is made for his speed and running skills. :dunno: