Good grief

mwj98

I watched the game and saw a passionate coach do what was necessary to keep his players motivated under adverse conditions. He made the play calls and the players executed...now, they are headed to a Championship game and we are not. We are going to Nashville for a meaningless bowl game. At least we aren't Minnesota!

Remind me, which national championship games/meaningful bowl games did Pelini take us to? Which conference championships did he win?

People making direct comparisons between Pelini's current season and ours seem to forget they have much better comparisons, like what he actually did here when he was our coach.

• Fire 3

I watched the game and saw a passionate coach do what was necessary to keep his players motivated under adverse conditions. He made the play calls and the players executed...now, they are headed to a Championship game and we are not. We are going to Nashville for a meaningless bowl game. At least we aren't Minnesota!

Remind me, which national championship games/meaningful bowl games did Pelini take us to? Which conference championships did he win?

People making direct comparisons between Pelini's current season and ours seem to forget they have much better comparisons, like what he actually did here when he was our coach.

He won the 2009 Sunbelt Championship.

• Fire 1

Pelini could win 5 national championships in a row at Youngstown State and I still wouldn't be upset we fired him and I still wouldn't believe he would have won anything of note here.

I knew this would be an interesting topic on Huskerboard. And this quote is completely true imo.

A square peg in a round hole. It happens. And sometimes it's just that simple...

As a Y-Town guy, I am glad he's back home and I think Bo is a great fit at YSU. He'll get hired away at some point, but it'll be fun until then...

He can do great at YSU, it doesn't matter cause he is playing competition that is worse right now. If he wins good for him, he can win at one level but not the other. Give him credit for getting them really far in year two and I wonder how long he can continue to get Youngstown this far.

The top of the FCS is no joke.
True statement. NDSU beat Iowa who has owned NU since Riley has been here.

But Mike is nice.

We would beat every team at the fcs level, outside of a few slip ups. Yes he is playing great fcs teams but its not like hes playing great teams from non p5 schools, hes playing fcs foes. I hope he does well and wish him the best, but the competition is a step down. Mike is nice and he will do well here and the competition we will play in the next few years is the top competition in the country. So I hope we do well and win some big games instead of watch Bo win big games at the fcs level.
He is also playing with FCS talent. It isn't like he has FBS talent playing in the FCS.

It is OK to say he is a good coach but not the right coach for Nebraska.

Didn't he get a couple defects from Nebraska and a few other places.. so no he wasn't playing with fcs talent.

He can do great at YSU, it doesn't matter cause he is playing competition that is worse right now. If he wins good for him, he can win at one level but not the other. Give him credit for getting them really far in year two and I wonder how long he can continue to get Youngstown this far.

But Mike is nice.

We would beat every team at the fcs level, outside of a few slip ups. Yes he is playing great fcs teams but its not like hes playing great teams from non p5 schools, hes playing fcs foes. I hope he does well and wish him the best, but the competition is a step down. Mike is nice and he will do well here and the competition we will play in the next few years is the top competition in the country. So I hope we do well and win some big games instead of watch Bo win big games at the fcs level.
He is also playing with FCS talent. It isn't like he has FBS talent playing in the FCS.

Didn't he get a couple defects from Nebraska and a few other places.. so no he wasn't playing with fcs talent.

Alexander and Moss followed him to YSU. Moss didn't have many other options.

But Mike is nice.

Not to mention that YSU is hardly the only FCS team to have at least a couple FBS castoffs.

• Fire 2

But Mike is nice.

Not to mention that YSU is hardly the only FCS team to have at least a couple FBS castoffs.

But he still had them and they played. He also had the fact that he Coached at a power 5 school to help in recruiting so I'm sure he got a few guys that wouldn't have gone to YSU.

Bo did not turn the players against the fans...We turned the players against us. Look at some of the sh#t that we spew about the players on message boards, on twitter on radio shows.

Jesus...most of us that post on this site cry and bitch when another poster "attacks" them...we have a thread about "douchbags" that is like 30 pages long.

Those players are just like us...they get sick of it.

"We turned the players against us?" You serious Clark?

I won't deny some Nebraska fans can be a little over the top. The ones who are viciously over the top are usually lubed up on liquid courage. That's what being a fan is, because fan is short for fanatic--some just take the fanatic part to its literal meaning.

Players at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, in the NFL, et al, receive the same type of abuse and/or death threats when they don't play well and/or it is believed their poor play leads to a loss. Remember the Michigan punter who (in '15) fumbled the punt which led to a Michigan State win? Yeah, he got death threats and the kinda hate directed at him that would make any Nebraska fanatic seem reasoned and calm.

That does not make it right, certainly. But to imply this as a problem exclusive to Nebraska, and to say that such terrible behavior is only present in the Big Red fan base is ludicrous.

I did not imply that...I said it happens at every school. Apology accepted :)

• Fire 1

But Mike is nice.

But he still had them and they played. He also had the fact that he Coached at a power 5 school to help in recruiting so I'm sure he got a few guys that wouldn't have gone to YSU.

With all the Big10 and MAC schools in the area, I highly doubt that many guys that had a legit shot at a FBS school went to YSU instead. I know it does happen and I have seen FBS talent in the other lower divisions as well but it is rare.

Bo wasn't going to win a championship at Nebraska but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get credit for his accomplishments at another school.

• Fire 2

I'm sorry but of course Bo is doing well at the FCS level. IT'S THE FCS LEVEL!!! We justifyably ran Bohl out of town in 2002 and he created a dynasty in Fargo. We justifyably ran Bo out of town and he is having success at Youngstown. Yes, there are some good 1-AA teams. The the VAST majority are hot steaming dumpster fires that would lose to Nebraska high school teams. There is no depth in at this level, so getting to the playoffs is not a big deal. FCS is a joke. Don't make it more than it is. It is JV football.

I'm sorry but of course Bo is doing well at the FCS level. IT'S THE FCS LEVEL!!! We justifyably ran Bohl out of town in 2002 and he created a dynasty in Fargo. We justifyably ran Bo out of town and he is having success at Youngstown. Yes, there are some good 1-AA teams. The the VAST majority are hot steaming dumpster fires that would lose to Nebraska high school teams. There is no depth in at this level, so getting to the playoffs is not a big deal. FCS is a joke. Don't make it more than it is. It is JV football.

A FCS school would smoke any HS team in the country let alone a Nebraska high school team.

• Fire 1

You might want to tell that to Iowa who lost to North Dakota State and then beat us by 30 points.

Bo being gone is cause for celebration due to what he did when he left the first time and the second time. I did not like his shenanigans on the side line but realize people are different, and coach differently.

He is to be congratulated on his accomplishments at Youngstown State along with the kids. As much as I am not a fan of Bo, I am hoping YSU wins the NC and makes Coach Tressel proud he hired Bo. People can change, grow up and improve on themselves. I hope that is what happens. Does not mean I will change my opinion of him, as he went out of his way to hurt Nebraska twice. Once was enough for me.

• Fire 1

FCS is garbage. I'm sorry. I've been to many games up here in Fargo. Yes, NDSU is a quality football team, but the overall level of competition is not good. Every year there are a handful of very good FCS teams. These are the ones trumpeted by the "we're division 1, not 1-AA" crowd. But in terms of overall quality, it is NOT the same.