Women's Marches

What did I exaggerate?

UNL has called an emergency meeting for the presidents of all fraternities and sororities at 5pm. Probably to discuss safety during the absolute riot that is being planned on Saturday, but maybe not. I'll keep you posted.

What's happening? Are the Greeks going to march?

Is this what you are asking about? Did you read the whole you/BRB/me string? I am not trying to be rude...

Atbone95: "they're bluffing, and they're proving it daily."

BRB: "All Teach and I are saying is that we aren't fully believing the "total bluff" comment from you when we experienced things totally different BECAUSE the school has and continues to crack down.

Me: "Atbone95 exaggerated a bit, but not by much."

No... the protestors from the Women's March are rioting. I'll link the Facebook group. It's bad...

https://www.facebook.com/events/721430504680141/

Pre-warnings about "not being responsible for property loss", "don't speak to conservative media at the OWH", "Fuhrer Trump", etc.

Ah, thx. And you are right, that is really not good...

Similar to the women's suffrage protests of a hundred years ago (using property damage to create support)... Don't like the methods but worked in the past, unfortunately...

My realistic opinion: The University has shown an absolute unwillingness to punish actions on this campus when it comes to the Greek community. Too many wealthy alumni who donate to the university and the Athletics Department. You don't have to look much farther than Farmhouse receiving a 6 month suspension for a pledge's death in 2013 to know that the University, through their own body of work, shows they have no balls.

The Greek system was held to a lower standard when I was there. The reasoning has always been the alumni. I had friends in FIJI and they seem to get away with more than other fraternities. I know two UNL chapter officers that cut all ties with FIJI after their terms. They were that disgusted with what they encountered. If that chapter was at any other University, the chapter would have had charter revoked & recolonized several times over.

I do believe the Greek system can be a force that builds great leaders and citizens and has a positive impact on the community. Left unchecked, it can easily create the worst of society as well. The latter happens all too often, imo.

Good Lord....if the frats would do anything like the partying they did while I was there, the entire greek system would be shut down and bulldozed.

But we're not talking about partying? Or are you talking about sexism being more prevalent back then?

Well we know that they won't be getting a lot of action from the local girls, and I'm betting their date parties (do they still do that?) will probably not be really well attended. Might just be the most impactful way this aged boy could learn a lesson.

You think the greek system as a whole, including the sorority sisters, are really going to find those actions super distasteful? I don't. I'm not on the, "The Greek system is evil" train, but it definitely breeds a culture of insularity, at least.

I was in the system, many years ago now - but yes, I'd say they'd find these actions distasteful. If nothing else sorority chapters locally will most likely have some rules about not being able to do chapter activities with FIJI.

I don't disagree that there is insularity, but I also don't think there is blind acceptance of offensive behavior like this, and it's not the behavior of every house.

Emergency meeting recap: The protest this weekend is organized by some national group that isn't even from here... UNLPD says they have a record of being very violent and have reason to believe they will be again (ie Facebook comments). They are warning all students not to go, but especially Greeks. They think it's reasonable to assume that anyone wearing letters this weekend with harrassed.

Emergency meeting recap: The protest this weekend is organized by some national group that isn't even from here... UNLPD says they have a record of being very violent and have reason to believe they will be again (ie Facebook comments). They are warning all students not to go, but especially Greeks. They think it's reasonable to assume that anyone wearing letters this weekend with harrassed.

Thanks for info. My daughter is not in a sorority but I told her not to be in the area in Saturday.

I don't know much about the greek system and how UNL handles it, but I do remeber during my first stint in college at UNL Sigma Chi was suspended for a few years after a hazing incident went through court. I doubt their truly bluffing, they just want to give them a chance.