Trump Legal Troubles

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The election was 2.5 years ago and not one person has come up under oath to prove there was election fraud.  Meanwhile, every single person who is testifying against him, are Republicans and at one time supported him.

People who don't look back and say.....dang.....he should have never been President and I shouldn't have supported him, are not based in a sense of being self aware of mistakes.

I understand.  It’s an attempt to make it look like he really thinks he won and it was rigged.  It could make the prosecution case more complicated, but all they need is one person to testify that Trump knew he lost.  In that case, the conspiracy charge is pretty rock solid, IMO.  

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

I do too, but then again the place we all were in 2012 was very, very different. Even the Becks and Limbaughs and Tea Party sycophants of the world were much milder back then, as hard as it is to believe. Still wacko, but nothing compared to the wildly escalated Circus of Nonsense of the last 7-8 years.

Much milder? Very very different? 

I'm not sure of that. The Tea Party came on the wave of Barack Obama's election, and that rhetoric was often pretty ugly and backed by full-fledged obstructionism by the GOP. What Rush was selling back then wasn't any milder at all, and Beck built his house on teary-eyed and typically bats#!t conspiracy theories. 1990s am radio got very nasty. 

I think the only difference is that we still considered them fringe players. The GOP establishment thought they could exploit them and absorb them, but the Tea Party ended up kicking the establishment Republicans to the curb. Then the craziest of them all became President of the United States and the extreme became normalized and mainstreamed.

So now I'm left wondering if half of America always felt this way, but now they're encouraged to say the ugly stuff out loud. 

Maybe "very very different" still applies, because I never even imagined Donald Trump's America taking hold. (I also thought the G.W. Bush administration was as bad as it could get)  

• TBH 5
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Much milder? Very very different? 

I'm not sure of that. The Tea Party came on the wave of Barack Obama's election, and that rhetoric was often pretty ugly and backed by full-fledged obstructionism by the GOP. What Rush was selling back then wasn't any milder at all, and Beck built his house on teary-eyed and typically bats#!t conspiracy theories. 1990s am radio got very nasty. 

I think the only difference is that we still considered them fringe players. The GOP establishment thought they could exploit them and absorb them, but the Tea Party ended up kicking the establishment Republicans to the curb. Then the craziest of them all became President of the United States and the extreme became normalized and mainstreamed.

So now I'm left wondering if half of America always felt this way, but now they're encouraged to say the ugly stuff out loud. 

Maybe "very very different" still applies, because I never even imagined Donald Trump's America taking hold. (I also thought the G.W. Bush administration was as bad as it could get)  

I think we're saying the same thing you're just saying it much better. 

The Overton Window was still relatively center and contained when the Tea Party grift began. To their credit, they very successfully co-opted people desperate for populist movement while also simultaneously being swamp founded and funded, but were still generally fringe players.

Fast forward a little over a decade and the Overton Window might as well not even exist anymore, we've all been anesthetized to the reality of the crazy, and the acceptable amount of distance away from 'normal' has widened so much that the ability for those furthest away to come back is exponentially more unlikely.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

amount of distance away from 'normal' has widened so much that the ability for those furthest away to come back is exponentially more unlikely

Yes, I have 2 sister in laws and others family members on my wife's side who I don't think will ever come back.  They hang on every Qanon pronouncement  - it is just crazy.  

When you are in a cult, you don't know you are deceived unless something drastic happens.    

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I have 2 sister in laws and others family members on my wife's side who I don't think will ever come back.  They hang on every Qanon pronouncement  - it is just crazy.  

When you are in a cult, you don't know you are deceived unless something drastic happens.    

My brother and sister were back last week and we drive to a small town bar/restaurant we like. Get there and it’s closed. Brother: see, they’re closed because they have a bud light sign in the window. Me: that’s the dumbest f#&%ing reason to not drink a beer. Them:  BLA BLA BLA….for 30 minutes on how horrible bud light is because they had a trans person in an ad. 

at the end, I just said politely again, “it’s a f#&%ing stupid reason”. They finally dropped it. 

But, they think I’m the most liberal person they know. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My brother and sister were back last week and we drive to a small town bar/restaurant we like. Get there and it’s closed. Brother: see, they’re closed because they have a bud light sign in the window. Me: that’s the dumbest f#&%ing reason to not drink a beer. Them:  BLA BLA BLA….for 30 minutes on how horrible bud light is because they had a trans person in an ad. 

at the end, I just said politely again, “it’s a f#&%ing stupid reason”. They finally dropped it. 

Like, it was closed for good?

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

so,,,,things that are endorsed by a trans person must be shut down.    Guess they don't like Trump after he was endorsed by Caitlyn Jenner?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I understand.  It’s an attempt to make it look like he really thinks he won and it was rigged.  It could make the prosecution case more complicated, but all they need is one person to testify that Trump knew he lost.  In that case, the conspiracy charge is pretty rock solid, IMO.  

I linked a LegalEagle youtube vid a couple pages back where he explains that some of the charges aren't dependent on whether Trump knew or not. For example, he was part of a conspiracy to obstruct Congress regardless of what he believed. Prosecution only has to prove he was part of the conspiracy regardless of what he believed about the election.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is so funny, I can relate. A while back I let a few family members on my wife’s side (Nebraskans) know that I hated Trump and would vote for anyone before I’d ever vote for him.  Now I’m the big Biden/Dem lover. :lol: They’re always getting in their jabs now. I find it amusing.

I won’t even broach the subject with my sister and her husband. They live in Arizona and he is in the Arizona Rangers. He has worked security detachments for Kari Lake numerous times and they think she is great. Strange thing is, they used to be very liberal. 70s hippies almost. She dated a black guy in college (mid 70s) which got my dad pretty worked up. I can’t figure out when or how they drifted to the right but they went there biggly.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Strange thing is, they used to be very liberal. 70s hippies almost. She dated a black guy in college (mid 70s) which got my dad pretty worked up. I can’t figure out when or how they drifted to the right but they went there biggly.

I think it goes something like...

• Be part of a movement when you're young which gives you a little too much confidence and convincing that you're 'one of the good ones' no matter what

• Grow older and start feeling yourself becoming more and more out of touch

• Opportunists use this frustration and convince you that it also means you've been forgotten, and promise you they haven't forgotten you

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

This is so funny, I can relate. A while back I let a few family members on my wife’s side (Nebraskans) know that I hated Trump and would vote for anyone before I’d ever vote for him.  Now I’m the big Biden/Dem lover. :lol: They’re always getting in their jabs now. I find it amusing.

I won’t even broach the subject with my sister and her husband. They live in Arizona and he is in the Arizona Rangers. He has worked security detachments for Kari Lake numerous times and they think she is great. Strange thing is, they used to be very liberal. 70s hippies almost. She dated a black guy in college (mid 70s) which got my dad pretty worked up. I can’t figure out when or how they drifted to the right but they went there biggly.

I bet this is a story that a lot of people know.

I can just think back to when I was in college and seeing some of these super dorks protesting or fighting for things that you KNEW they didn't really care about.  

I see it to some extent with HS students.  The ones that are super into "causes" will leave Omaha and go to college in NY or Seattle and sometimes Cali, but not as many go there, and they are back by the end of the first semester and they realize their idea of "far out there" is not even close to the super far out there crowd.  They were sort of "doing it" just to be a part of something, not as a way of life.

• TBH 3