The Republican Utopia

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Hmmm :dunno  Here's the article.

Parents sentenced in PSSI, JBS child labor scandal

Facebook Tweet LinkedIn Email ShareThis
By Chris Moore on 4/6/2023
SpotAd_co407_ad14833.jpg

A judge sentenced two parents for helping their daughter, 14, take a job cleaning machinery in a JBS packing plant.

The Grand Island, Neb. couple pleaded guilty to child abuse by violating state child labor laws, according to a Nebraska Public Media report.

The mother will be under house arrest for two months followed by a year of supervised probation, while the stepfather served a 30-day sentence in Hall County Jail in February. The couple's names have been withheld to protect the identity of the victim.

The child was one of more than 100 minors employed by Packers Sanitation Services Inc. (PSSI), which was subcontracted with JBS USA, which has since terminated the contract.

In February, the Department of Labor fined PSSI $1.5 million for employing more than 100 children across the country to work hazardous jobs.

The case came to light after teachers raised concerns about the student falling asleep during the day and missing class to treat what appeared to be chemical burns, the report said.

An investigation by the Nebraska State Patrol revealed that the mother provided falsified documents claiming her daughter was 22 years old when she was only 14 years and three months old.

The girl worked from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. five to six days a week, cleaning machines used to cut meat before going to school. The earnings remained in her mother's possession.

Charging individuals with child abuse linked to dangerous working conditions is rare in the state. Nebraska Public Media reports only five cases in the last 10 years involving child labor law violations.

The judge acknowledged the shared responsibility of the management of JBS, which "is at blame for hiring a cleaning company such as this to conduct their affairs."

A total of 27 minors were involved in hazardous work at the Grand Island facility. These are the only parents or guardians charged with child abuse.

Lame

When I was 14 I was already working THREE manufacturing jobs and won two awards for having the smallest hands that could dislodge stuff that was stuck in the gears of heavy machinery!  

I also had to type this with just one hand.

• Oh Yeah! 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Well documented ethics violations by Clarence Thomas is going to send shockwaves through the Federalist Society, as they march the judiciary ever further into the oblivion of right wing jurisprudence. 

Thomas will have to issue an extra, super duper strong statement that says "I don't know what you're talking about" or "I'll only give a detailed interview on a super Yacht, but my going price is pretty high". This, of course, is likely to happen shortly after SCOTUS issues a ruling granting white children an AR-15 at birth, citing totally legitimate "originalist" views of the Constitution.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Is the National Review - a totally and completely unbiased "news" outlet - arguing that Thomas took these "gifts" and its okay because the ethics just tightened some of the rules? 

I mean, it's pretty unlikely that a friend is gifting the Thomas' hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gifts, trips, etc. every year without some sort of quid-pro-quo corruption going on. Does it just so happen that the other people on the vacations are other powerful Republicans and right wing insiders?

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Is the National Review - a totally and completely unbiased "news" outlet - arguing that Thomas took these "gifts" and its okay because the ethics just tightened some of the rules? 

I mean, it's pretty unlikely that a friend is gifting the Thomas' hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gifts, trips, etc. every year without some sort of quid-pro-quo corruption going on. Does it just so happen that the other people on the vacations are other powerful Republicans and right wing insiders?

I believe they are stating that until the rules tightened, the plane rides weren’t mandated reportable “gifts”.  The rules were changed and he disclosed them according to the new rules.

If you are any defender of democracy, (journalist) wants to connect the dots to a quid pro quo corruption please let us know the specifics on the voting end.   

But since we are talking unreported gifted plane rides, will you be discussing the feeling of the Democrats Whitmer and Pritzker?  Does it just so happen those planes were gifted by powerful Democrats and left wing insiders?  

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe they are stating that until the rules tightened, the plane rides weren’t mandated reportable “gifts”.  The rules were changed and he disclosed them according to the new rules.

If you are any defender of democracy, (journalist) wants to connect the dots to a quid pro quo corruption please let us know the specifics on the voting end.   

But since we are talking unreported gifted plane rides, will you be discussing the feeling of the Democrats Whitmer and Pritzker?  Does it just so happen those planes were gifted by powerful Democrats and left wing insiders?  

All of them are bad. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If their transgressions are as bad, then I hope they're voted out of office. The problem with Thomas's obvious corruption is that they're is no mechanism for voters to punish his behavior. He's untouchable and he knows it. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1