The Republican Utopia

@Guy Chamberlin  you’ve asked a few times for someone to define a Republican Utopia so I will give my crack at some bullet points that matter for one man’s opinion on the matter…..

—A strong secure boarder with adequate legal processes to adjudicate the legal process in a much much much more timely fashion.   A remain in Mexico component until initial background checks are complete with no criminal history, security threats, or identity theft/fraud.  Once complete, the asylum or citizen requestor should be allowed in with some sort of managed check in requirements (not the catch release check in BS we have now) and those people should be allowed to participate in society while the citizenship process carries out (work, pay taxes, school etc..) 

—Regular order budgets and end the nonsensical use of the “spend the entire budget whether it’s needed or not” fiasco that has been going on for decades.   Incentivize, government agencies to come in under budget by bonus to the Gov employees for being stewards of our money, or give extra PTO for those agencies/groups that are under budget.   What happens currently is a use it all no matter what so we get funded at that same level plus some the next year even if it wasn’t needed.  Government waste at its best IMO.  

—Income taxes at the lowest level possible that can also adequately fund a lean Government agency.  I feel that we are probably at that level, however, if people think the top bracket can go back up to 39% then so be it.   Don’t care anymore. 

—I want to see an end to activist District Attorneys that are fine with criminals running amok. Charge the crimes that are committed and end the ridiculous no cash bail experiment.   Along these lines, figure out some way to increase the Judicial capacity to try cases.  The backlog is insane in most cities.   With no cash bail and the backlog, people can be arrested 20-30-40 times on theft charges before anything happens to them if ever!  

—Abortion.  Leave it up to the States with a voter referendum, and not just a legislature passing a law.  Make it up to the will of the people in that State.  If anyone were to ever bring up a national law, 12-15 week ban with the relevant exceptions seems like a good compromise.  

—Marraige.   Either have Gov get out of the marriage business or allow people to marry whoever and how ever many people they want.  If we are to say if two people love each other and should be allowed to marry no matter the sexual preference, I agree, but that same courtesy should go to those who may be in a throuple etc….

—Education.  I am a school choice advocate mainly because so many kids are stuck in failing school districts that receive so much funding and yet still suck and fail the kids that want to learn.  Let those kids/parents that actually care get the education they deserve.  

—Term limits.  Limits to be discussed but it’s quite evident to anyone paying attention that limits need to be in place. Our lawmakers care more about being re-elected than they do about voting their conscience.  

—Elections.  Voter ID, 30 day maximum early voting, and no party affiliation listed next to the candidates name along with no “straight party line vote” option.  

Let me know what other issues you want addressed for my “Utopia”.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

@Guy Chamberlin  you’ve asked a few times for someone to define a Republican Utopia so I will give my crack at some bullet points that matter for one man’s opinion on the matter…..

—A strong secure boarder with adequate legal processes to adjudicate the legal process in a much much much more timely fashion.   A remain in Mexico component until initial background checks are complete with no criminal history, security threats, or identity theft/fraud.  Once complete, the asylum or citizen requestor should be allowed in with some sort of managed check in requirements (not the catch release check in BS we have now) and those people should be allowed to participate in society while the citizenship process carries out (work, pay taxes, school etc..) 

—Regular order budgets and end the nonsensical use of the “spend the entire budget whether it’s needed or not” fiasco that has been going on for decades.   Incentivize, government agencies to come in under budget by bonus to the Gov employees for being stewards of our money, or give extra PTO for those agencies/groups that are under budget.   What happens currently is a use it all no matter what so we get funded at that same level plus some the next year even if it wasn’t needed.  Government waste at its best IMO.  

—Income taxes at the lowest level possible that can also adequately fund a lean Government agency.  I feel that we are probably at that level, however, if people think the top bracket can go back up to 39% then so be it.   Don’t care anymore. 

—I want to see an end to activist District Attorneys that are fine with criminals running amok. Charge the crimes that are committed and end the ridiculous no cash bail experiment.   Along these lines, figure out some way to increase the Judicial capacity to try cases.  The backlog is insane in most cities.   With no cash bail and the backlog, people can be arrested 20-30-40 times on theft charges before anything happens to them if ever!  

—Abortion.  Leave it up to the States with a voter referendum, and not just a legislature passing a law.  Make it up to the will of the people in that State.  If anyone were to ever bring up a national law, 12-15 week ban with the relevant exceptions seems like a good compromise.  

—Marraige.   Either have Gov get out of the marriage business or allow people to marry whoever and how ever many people they want.  If we are to say if two people love each other and should be allowed to marry no matter the sexual preference, I agree, but that same courtesy should go to those who may be in a throuple etc….

—Education.  I am a school choice advocate mainly because so many kids are stuck in failing school districts that receive so much funding and yet still suck and fail the kids that want to learn.  Let those kids/parents that actually care get the education they deserve.  

—Term limits.  Limits to be discussed but it’s quite evident to anyone paying attention that limits need to be in place. Our lawmakers care more about being re-elected than they do about voting their conscience.  

—Elections.  Voter ID, 30 day maximum early voting, and no party affiliation listed next to the candidates name along with no “straight party line vote” option.  

Thanks Archy. Good list. I'm on board for probably 72% of it. Not bad for a lib, eh?

It looks like you've described your personal utopia as a conservative, but as myself and others have pointed out, that's not necessarily the Republican Utopia. Plenty of stuff in there would get you shunned as a RINO. And of course the most troubling aspect is that most of your policy preferences -- which lend themselves pretty well to bipartisan compromise -- all take a distant second place to the single issue of fealty to Donald Trump, including a massive lie, an agenda of knee-jerk revenge, and a passionate opposition to collaboration. 

Given the chance to advance cohesive, real-world policies like you've outlined, the Republican Party has proven itself incredibly lazy, opting for cheap theater instead. I know you're a Ron DeSantis fan, but he'd be scared to run your platform, too. Utopia is a high bar, but I don't see many candidates giving as much thought as you did on this post. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3
28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I am not sure what qualifies as Republican, and what applies as Libertarian.  In 2016 when I was looking at the Libertarian's platform, I realized that I fit there better.  I think Trump is really a big government guy.  That, outside of the fact he is a lunatic and a narcissist, is what turned me against him first.  I prefer society fix society, not government.  The republicans in my mind are no longer small government people.   They want government to fix everyone's problems with their slant, the same way they think the Dems want to fix everyone's problems with their slant.  The Republican party is hijacked by crazy Trump people and hard right leaning Christians.  

Just my 2 cents.  I agree a lot with your list.  Just not sure the Republican party does.  

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What a great and reasonable list that is almost entirely antithetical to the concerns and priorities of the Republican party.

• TBH 9

58 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What a great and reasonable list that is almost entirely antithetical to the concerns and priorities of the Republican party.

Maybe the representatives in DC that make headlines...

But I think that @Archy1221 list shows almost exactly what the typical average registered Republican is concerned with/believes in

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Maybe the representatives in DC that make headlines...

But I think that @Archy1221 list shows almost exactly what the typical average registered Republican is concerned with/believes in

While voting their way to the edge of an authoritarian hell scape where none of those items listed will be implemented if the overlords wish not to. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Given the choice of reasonable Republican candidates vs. firebreathing fringe candidates who would never articulate Archy's list, Republican voters have largely sided with the fringe. A statistical majority continue to believe one or more discredited right wing conspiracy theories. Donald Trump is polling dead even with Biden, and the sensible Republican alternative never materialized. 

So while the Republicans on the P&R Forum of HuskerBoard seems perfectly reasonable, the available evidence suggests they are not representative of registered Republicans at all. I'm honestly not sure what to think any more. There's a really weird psychology going on out there. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Given the choice of reasonable Republican candidates vs. firebreathing fringe candidates who would never articulate Archy's list, Republican voters have largely sided with the fringe. A statistical majority continue to believe one or more discredited right wing conspiracy theories. Donald Trump is polling dead even with Biden, and the sensible Republican alternative never materialized. 

So while the Republicans on the P&R Forum of HuskerBoard seems perfectly reasonable, the available evidence suggests they are not representative of registered Republicans at all. I'm honestly not sure what to think any more. There's a really weird psychology going on out there. 

I also like his list, almost all of it.  Not a fan of school choice though...

Anyways...Most things on the list aren't going to happen with either party in charge.  But I at least think some have a greater chance of happening with "responsible" Dems in office.  Marriage is a no brainer.  Properly funded boarder and legal system would be a no-brainer.  Spending is a problem for both, it's just a matter of where the money goes.  "Reasonable" Dems seem like the only folks willing to compromise on reasonable abortion laws.  

• Plus1 2

I get people's negative opinions on School Choice.  I am an administrator at a Christian school.  We have kids who get vouchers.  As a small government guy, I am somewhat opposed to vouchers.  But I know we have plenty of kids who would be stuck in failing school districts without it.  

I am not sure what the Cleveland Metropolitan School District would do without vouchers.  They can't handle the kids they have now.

There was movement for a Backpack bill a few years ago.  Each kid would be worth a certain amount of money and wherever He/She went, the money would follow them.  That would require open enrollment, that most of Ohio does not currently have.

• Plus1 1