The Republican Utopia

9 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe it is just me, but I think most people think that true liberals and true conservatives are crazy.  And for the most part, they make up a super small % of the population.  The rest of us, are pretty freaking normal/middle if the road people.

For instance.  Living in CHAZ = loony 

For instance:  Marching in full body armour with a gun because you want your freedom to get a haircut = loony

I don't think anyone on this board would do either of those things.  I could maybe see JJ living in CHAZ, maybe!  :)

IDK about CHAZ but I do live in the JJAZ. Secret, it's not that autonomous....:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think what’s viewed as “liberal” by the nutjobs is not all that liberal.

Yep. I know I'm dealing with a "special" when I get called liberal. And yeah, it's happened more than a couple times here on HB.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Both.

While I don't completely disagree, it begs the question of which is the greater problem. The most crystal clear messaging in the entire world wouldn't change the mind of some people. We can't use those people to determine if the messaging is good or not.

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

the swampy WH is doing everything they can to remove any stigma of their failed response to Covid19.   Don't test, blame CDC leaders, Blame Governors and Mayors,  Hide the numbers by removing the reporting from the CDC.  Trump has failed, they know it and instead of doing the right thing they are trying to cover it all up.

• Plus1 2
On 7/18/2020 at 7:31 AM, funhusker said:

I wish our local trumpets would realize this board isn’t full of liberals.  Correct me if I’m wrong: @BigRedBuster @knapplc @TGHusker @Moiraine @JJ Husker @teachercd @commando @ZRod @Guy Chamberlin and others...

Maybe I have a skewed vision of what responsible govt should look like...

A correct response of govt is not what we are seeing from this WH. The reaction to the protests from the beginning, the photo op before the church, the strong armed tactics, Portland,  the lack of leadership, denial, and "I'm not responsible' response from trump on Covid. 

It is a failure of govt on a massive, and dare I say never seen scale before- at least in my lifetime - and that included Vietnam and Watergate.  Any other time, Congress would have booted out this inept and criminal president but the president has redefined the GOP in such a way that it is no longer recognizable nor is it respectable.   This GOP lost the right to use the "conservative' name tag as well.  They are closer to nationalists and perhaps even fascist than the old conservative positions of years ago- which would be nearer to being moderate today.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

While I don't completely disagree, it begs the question of which is the greater problem. The most crystal clear messaging in the entire world wouldn't change the mind of some people. We can't use those people to determine if the messaging is good or not.

I believe support for national healthcare enjoyed a healthy bump when they changed the name from Single Payer to Medicare for All.  Conservative seniors know that Medicare works and they'd be screwed without it.  A certain segment appreciated the benefits of the Affordable Care Act when it was called the ACA rather than Obamacare. On the other side, a simple coining of the phrase "death panels" helped galvanize opposition to the original Obamacare. There's a lot wrong with the concept of Make America Great Again, but the messaging was spot on. 

In every case we're talking about top line catch phrases. Very few people seek out a working understanding of any key issue. In fairness, there just isn't time. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I believe support for national healthcare enjoyed a healthy bump when they changed the name from Single Payer to Medicare for All.  Conservative seniors know that Medicare works and they'd be screwed without it.  A certain segment appreciated the benefits of the Affordable Care Act when it was called the ACA rather than Obamacare. On the other side, a simple coining of the phrase "death panels" helped galvanize opposition to the original Obamacare. There's a lot wrong with the concept of Make America Great Again, but the messaging was spot on. 

In every case we're talking about top line catch phrases. Very few people seek out a working understanding of any key issue. In fairness, there just isn't time. 

I dont disagree with what you have said here but there is another side pumping out false information. Joe Biden could say just about anything and get labeled a Marxist because its not actually about the message its about the culture war. I'm not saying messaging is not important but you can't reach *everyone*

• Plus1 1

Not only is this chart NOT unbelievable, it's been true for a very long time.

Look which demographic actually bucks this trend.

And what's crazy is, Christianity preaches the Ten Commandments to their adherents. It's a pillar of the faith. And yet...

XhpJXGW.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And what's crazy is, Christianity preaches the Ten Commandments to their adherents. It's a pillar of the faith. And yet...

XhpJXGW.png

I'm almost certain there is only one criterion for the Religious Right anymore. It's Roe v Wade. If you promise to overturn it, the rationalization machine kicks into high gear. 

• Plus1 3
On 7/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Bernie was a terrible messenger. He said the same things over and over in debates. Same spiel weve heard a million times. Did not explain his ideas so normal people could understand. 

19 hours ago, knapplc said:

XhpJXGW.png

this is what happens when you sell your soul for power, a place at the table.  Where influence (the wrong kind) is more important than character.  It is a short term view and not long term.   Roe v Wade, which is important to me, shouldn't be the litmus test on who we should support.  The evangelical church, while doing other things that can be supportive of an unplanned pregnancy,  should not be sacrificing the influence the gospel can have on a person by person basis by aliening itself with a corrupt politician.  Long term, I think it hurts the church and its influence.  The church can applaud when a politician does something right but it looses its moral voice to speak out when it walks hand in had with a politician and ignores his/her deepest failures. 

• Plus1 3