The Republican Utopia

Now where have I heard this before - where Trump talks about sellouts and losers??

Oh, yes.  He called soldiers who got captured,  Losers  and then it seems his daddy said something similiar below

Trump's daddy's recent words: 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, admo said:

Not only is this incorrect, but it's a stupid idea to suggest that.

Here's what happened, guy.  Your little party verbally tore into anyone who ran against Hilary Clinton, day after day, especially Trump.  We (repubs) got tired of hearing it every day (shocker).  So we kept quiet, went about our business, and kicked her a$$ and your party's a$$ in the voting booth.  That's what happened. 

The other stuff you are mentioning sounds silly.

I don't think there's a need to be this diminutive towards Guy, admo. You can make your point without the belittlement or getting into who kicked whose a$$ where.

I'm not going to get into the "R's didn't want to admit they voted for Trump" stuff. While I think it might be true for some people, I don't know how prevalent it is. I also don't know if Republican primaries are about who loves Trump more. That's clearly not the case in Nebraska because Herbster is/was Trump's guy but I wager Pillen has the advantage right now.

But I think Guy makes some otherwise cognizant points. For starters, this board is unquestionably misrepresentative of this state and this country's politics. So using that as evidence for or against any one political idea/candidate is misguided.

Second, DeSantis is about as goofy Republican as you can get these days. He consistently panders to the far right fringes and lowest common denominators of the Republican party and opposition politics. So I think Guy's assertion that DeSantis "isn't reclaiming the Republican Party for common sense conservatism" is a fair observation. He may not be Trump, but I can guarantee you he is largely unappealing to more independent voters like myself.

Third, Trump is still very much a contested subject within the Republican party. I have anecdotal evidence of this and we're consistently hearing about it from pockets of the Republican party. He's as much a cancer as he is a savior, and I know many Republicans that would still probably vote for him again if it was him vs. the Democrats... which is fairly unnerving given his performance as president, horrible representation of the U.S. on the global stage and his involvement in the insurrection. I think Republicans can be and are WAY better than the likes of Trump and DeSantis.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Second, DeSantis is about as goofy Republican as you can get these days. He consistently panders to the far right fringes and lowest common denominators of the Republican party and opposition politics. So I think Guy's assertion that DeSantis "isn't reclaiming the Republican Party for common sense conservatism" is a fair observation.

This is obviously an opinion and one that many share and many do not.   The ones who share this most likely just look at the media headlines and hit pieces he defends himself against without looking into the broader picture of what he runs on as a politician.   

Does he unnecessarily fight back against the minutiae attacks from some media and the other party sure, but I’m fine with someone who will stick up for himself and not allow false hit pieces to go unopposed.  

Does any non left Liberal have DeSantis policies (not minor state issues) that they believe do not represent Republican ideals?  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

This is obviously an opinion and one that many share and many do not.   The ones who share this most likely just look at the media headlines and hit pieces he defends himself against without looking into the broader picture of what he runs on as a politician.   

Does he unnecessarily fight back against the minutiae attacks from some media and the other party sure, but I’m fine with someone who will stick up for himself and not allow false hit pieces to go unopposed.  

Does any non left Liberal have DeSantis policies (not minor state issues) that they believe do not represent Republican ideals?  

Your second paragraph makes him sound like some unfairly treated, misunderstood savant. I can see why Republicans might feel like that, but excluding Democrats (who hate him on principal), I don’t think moderates/independents see him like that at all. 

And I think it’s the fact that some of his policies allegedly do represent Republican ideals is what’s concerning. I still support many Republican views but he has strayed way too far into crazy opposition politics too many times. I’m really not interested in having someone like him ever be president. He doesn’t exude strong leadership qualities. I think Republicans have far better candidates out there, ones that are far less concerned about “combatting liberal wokeness.” I think he gets caught up in waaaaaay too much partisan BS.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
On 3/25/2022 at 10:12 AM, Archy1221 said:

I’m quite sure you will be looking into all the Dems who voted against Kav Gorsuch and Barrett and make the same claim as in your first paragraph.   Looking forward to that post. 

Except that the Gorsuch and Barrett votes were about two COMPLETELY different issues.

• People objected to the Gorsuch vote because Mitch McConnell refused to let Obama appoint a judge for almost a year, which is and was garbage. That's why when Gorsuch came up, Democrats rejected it because of how political Mitch made the whole process--a process that should be apolitical, but good luck getting the LCDs of our nation to understand that now. 
  • Barrett's objection was two-fold:
    • One, because Barrett is a whackjob Christian Conservative that has a history of ignoring judicial precedent in favor of her beliefs--something that courts are not supposed to do at all. Now...you may have been absent for the semester where stare decisis was discussed in civics class, but it's the bedrock of our judicial system and something she committed to going against in her confirmation hearing. That right there is a red flag for *ANY* judicial candidate. It's why when she was nominated for the Circuit Court of Appeals (her old job before the Supreme Court), it was a 55-43 vote. Hardly overwhelming and consistent with the narrow vote to approve her to the Supreme Court.  
    • Two...not only was Barrett unfit for the position she already had and was nominated for, the GOP were hypocrites yet again (shock of all shocks) in holding hearings two months before the 2020 election and voted her in eight days before the elections happened. 

Edited by Enhance
Edited post - flaming
  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, admo said:

Not only is this incorrect, but it's a stupid idea to suggest that.

Here's what happened, guy.  Your little party verbally tore into anyone who ran against Hilary Clinton, day after day, especially Trump.  We (repubs) got tired of hearing it every day (shocker).  So we kept quiet, went about our business, and kicked her a$$ and your party's a$$ in the voting booth.  That's what happened. 

The other stuff you are mentioning sounds silly.

Wait. What? My little party was pretty torn between preferring another candidate over Hillary, just as many preferred Obama over Hillary in the last open primary. 

Are you suggesting an aversion to Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson can only be attributed to unquestioned loyalty to Hillary Clinton?  Trump has been an awful human his entire public life, and if quiet, thoughtful Republicans are so averse to non-stop personal abuse in their national politics, Donald Trump would be the last person you'd choose. And you had choices. Remarkably, Cruz and Carson were almost as bad. Embarrassingly awful, to be honest. 

Remember how Republicans refused to simply tear into Hillary Clinton every day and concentrated on pertinent national issues instead? I sure don't. 

Millions of people did not lie to pollsters about supporting Trump. That was a wild exaggeration on my part. There is more evidence that they simply didn't like or trust pollsters, and that pollsters didn't do a very good job of seeking out independents. At the end of the day, Hillary Clinton still had 3 million more votes than Trump, and while I find virtually no comfort in that, we should at least agree that losing the popular vote is not an a$$ kicking. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Again, there's no need to be diminutive or take personal shots. If you can't make your point without them then you shouldn't be posting your point at all.

I don't know about that. I just learned that if you slap somebody who pissed you off on national television, not only can you go back to your seat, Denzel Washington will come up and hug you.  

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. What? My little party was pretty torn between preferring another candidate over Hillary, just as many preferred Obama over Hillary in the last open primary. 

Are you suggesting an aversion to Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson can only be attributed to unquestioned loyalty to Hillary Clinton?  Trump has been an awful human his entire public life, and if quiet, thoughtful Republicans are so averse to non-stop personal abuse in their national politics, Donald Trump would be the last person you'd choose. And you had choices. Remarkably, Cruz and Carson were almost as bad. Embarrassingly awful, to be honest. 

Remember how Republicans refused to simply tear into Hillary Clinton every day and concentrated on pertinent national issues instead? I sure don't. 

Millions of people did not lie to pollsters about supporting Trump. That was a wild exaggeration on my part. There is more evidence that they simply didn't like or trust pollsters, and that pollsters didn't do a very good job of seeking out independents. At the end of the day, Hillary Clinton still had 3 million more votes than Trump, and while I find virtually no comfort in that, we should at least agree that losing the popular vote is not an a$$ kicking. 

Fair enough, no worries.  Again, sorry @Guy Chamberlin:cheers

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Your takeaway about people that don’t like Trump could not be further from reality. Sure there are democrats that are going to hate Trump or any republican but you aren’t giving any credit of critical thinking to moderates, independents or reasonable Republicans who can see through his bulls#!t.

Poor Donald, only sticking up for himself:facepalm: 

• Plus1 5

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kremlin-tv-hopes-putin-unhinged-095626302.html

Just saying.... It's super odd, that Russian propaganda is praying that their attack on Ukraine will help restore Trump to the Presidency. I mean why would they want someone who was "SOOOOOO Hard on them," leading the world opposition against their dreams of conquest. 

Putin’s invasion of Ukraine pitted Russia against most of the world, leaving Kremlin propagandists yearning for any tidbits of pro-Russian sentiment in the United States. These days, state television draws on a bounty of translated quotes almost exclusively from two Western voices: Tucker Carlson of Fox News and former U.S. President Donald J. Trump. They have a plan to reward them both: Carlson with a highly coveted interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and Trump with a freebie PR campaign designed to light his path back to the White House.

• Thanks 1